What do you predict your 2017 "Game of the Year" will be?

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Want to get an idea of what the people here are looking forward to, whether it be motorsport, shooting, role-playing, whatever. If you think it's going to be your GOTY this year, and it's slated to come out before year's end, I want to hear about it, and why you think it's going to be your 2017 GOTY.

Me, personally? Ace Combat 7. Everyone who's an Ace Combat fan will tell you: the PS2 era was the golden age for this series. Some like AC04: Shattered Skies, others like AC5: Unsung War, and you could make a strong case for AC0: Belkan War.

And that's why I'm so excited for AC7: They're going back to Strangereal, and it's going to be Osea vs. Erusea, HELL YEAH! We're probably going back to locales from both Unsung War and Shattered Skies, I predict. This is going to be great. Even better would be to have an ultimate ace squadron showdown: Razgriz of Osea vs. Yellow of Erusea.

But what about the rest of you? What do you expect to enjoy most out of the crop of new games coming out this year?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dude, it's ONE MONTH into the year and you're already asking what the game of the year is going to be? Chill your britches.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Madden 2018 obviously

Granted, that's usually the only new game I get each year as I have such a backlog that I just don't buy new games very often the year they come out. I don't think I could name five games that are coming out this year (and that's only if you count the few games I do know because of threads where people talk about how those games are going to be the Second Coming of Jesus).

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Dirty Hipsters said:
Dude, it's ONE MONTH into the year and you're already asking what the game of the year is going to be? Chill your britches.
Anything to get me thinking about anything other than the man that was just made POTUS...

Come on now, there has to be something coming out this year you think will be your GOTY, right?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
American Tanker said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Anything to get me thinking about anything other than the man that was just made POTUS...

Come on now, there has to be something coming out this year you think will be your GOTY, right?
Nothing is my game of the year until I actually play it.

Besides, I'm banking on my game of the year to turn out to be some random indie game coming out of left field that no one has ever heard of.

Kind of hard to talk about game of the year 2017 when all the games to come out this year haven't even been announced.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
assuming cyberpunk 2077 is released this year then clearly that, if not then it wins what ever year it is released

otherwise my guess would be mass effect andromeda

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Tanis said:
Persona 5?
Persona 5.

Also, Nier Automata is looking really good. I hope this is the success both Yoko Taro and Platinum so richly deserve.

Gravity Rush 2 seems phenomenal as well. Japan has really been knocking it out of the park lately.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Space Marine 2: Blackshield, where Captain Titus, in disgrace, is offered redemption as a Deathwatch black shield captain. And it's like SW Republic Commandos where you have a kill team with different skills and equipment.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are both high level contenders in my opinion, but currently? It's too early to call.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Some overly cinematic game that doesnt deserve it.

Or Skyrim.

(I said that jokingly, but...it is actually coming out this year again...)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Final Fantasy VII Remake. If that game does, in fact, release this year, that's it. Everyone else, pack your bags and go home, or get ready to start fighting over second place.

Truthfully, I'm only half joking. Unless Square ROYALLY screws the pooch on this one (and we're talking level of incompetence to rival what Konami has done), this game is not only going to be my favorite, but it's going to top the lists of many other people and companies too. VII has a legacy for a reason, and the fact that countless fans are finally getting what they've been begging for is just fuel to the inferno.
I honestly think only Half-Life 3 would give it a run for it's money.

Otherwise, Kingdom Hearts III (again, if it comes out), if there really is some sort of new Souls game in the works, and...I don't know. It seems like all the games I want to play this year so far are already out, or coming out in the next few weeks, and none are really making me go, "WHOO!"

Although, this is the first I've heard of a new Ace Combat. Glad to hear we're returning to "not-our-world" territory, because while I enjoyed Assault Horizon, its story didn't really hold up against the previous games'.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saelune said:
it is actually coming out this year again...
Does the 4th re-re-re-release count as 'coming out?' It'd be like giving an Oscar for best original screen play to the Deluxe Expanded Directors Enhanced Cut Re-Release of Empire Strikes Back.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
From what has been announced so far, probably either Super Mario Odyssey or Red Dead Redemption 2 (based only on how much I liked previous installments in those series). It's way too early to call though, obviously.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Gravity Rush 2*

*: I say this because it is the only game released this year that I have played so far, and as such I have no decent frame of reference for how it compares to other games I may or may not play this year

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
-Prey

The fact it's by Arkane is enough for me. Plus, the gameplay does look really good, it looks like it'll have a lot of player freedom and creativity like Dishonored. Arkane is one of the few devs that does quality over quantity. And, if The Last Guardian didn't come out last year, Dishonored 2 would've been my GOTY for 2016.

-Horizon: Zero Dawn

The world looks very interesting and the bits of gameplay I've seen look great. I'm still not sure how the overall feel of the game is going to be like along with the moment-to-moment gameplay. I have hopes due to an Obsidian writer and Witcher quest designer working on the game. I'm cautiously very optimistic.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Final Fantasy VII Remake. If that game does, in fact, release this year, that's it. Everyone else, pack your bags and go home, or get ready to start fighting over second place.

Truthfully, I'm only half joking. Unless Square ROYALLY screws the pooch on this one (and we're talking level of incompetence to rival what Konami has done), this game is not only going to be my favorite, but it's going to top the lists of many other people and companies too. VII has a legacy for a reason, and the fact that countless fans are finally getting what they've been begging for is just fuel to the inferno.
Did they go back on what they've said about it, before? Where it's going to be split into multiple games, with the FFXV over the shoulder camera and real-time combat? Because, to me, that's already 'screwing the pooch'. Looking at screenshots of Cloud standing in downtown Midgar, with none of the iconic scenery recognizable at all... doesn't make me feel good about this.

I don't have faith in Squeenix, is what I'm saying. And XV was pretty good, but it doesn't restore that faith. The scope was disappointingly small, and the combat was an absolute mess. I expect both of those issues to carry over into 7, which is probably going to only cover a fraction of the original world map.

OT: I'm really looking forward to Nioh, as a fan of both Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden. I've also heard FromSoft is working on a new Armored Core, so I have high hopes for that. I also look forward to the new Best Friends LP of Detroit, thus completing the sadness pentalogy.