What do you think about "it"?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I notice myself and a lot of others use the term "it" as a pronoun when referring to typically an animal or perhaps an unborn baby when the gender is not known. However, my girlfriend gives me flak about it all the time. She finds it disrespectful and offensive. I only agree when the pronoun is used when the gender is known such as say a father calling his 3 month old daughter "it" instead of her. Otherwise I don't really think its that terrible. I asked her what I should say instead in the case of say a stray cat. She then says its better to just say he or her despite not knowing the gender, as being wrong about that isn't bad like saying "it" apparently is to her. So I am curious what others think about using the term it as a pronoun.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Traditionally in English, "he" is the default pronoun if you don't know someone's gender. Though in modern times with the rise of gender equality, "they" is often used as a singular in that instance instead.

"It" is reserved for objects rather than beings, you can probably get away with referring to an animal as it unless they are someone's pet, but don't be surprised if people are offended if you describe them or their kid as it, since you are effectively calling that person an object.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There are gender neutral pronouns, but they haven't widely caught on in most of the West.

Personally, I use "they".

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
There are gender neutral pronouns, but they haven't widely caught on in most of the West.

Yeah, I find myself saying that as well sometimes. Perhaps I should take a conscious effort to start using "they, them, their". A lot of people including myself at one point argue that those terms are for plurals and aren't grammatically correct when referring to a singular. However despite being plural the terms are acceptable to use.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ando85 said:
thaluikhain said:

Yeah, I find myself saying that as well sometimes. Perhaps I should take a conscious effort to start using "they, them, their". A lot of people including myself at one point argue that those terms are for plurals and aren't grammatically correct when referring to a singular. However despite being plural the terms are acceptable to use.
I used to be more picky about correct grammar and so on, but as long as people understand what is being said, I'd say that is correct. Language isn't something to be set in stone, it's a living thing that changes due to use.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Call your girlfriend 'IT' for a few days. I think that would *definitely* resolve this.

Seriously though, 'it' is fine for referring to a stray cat or an unborn child in a passive context -"When is it due?" for example. However, "They" is probably a suitable alternative if you're referring to a person directly, if you don't know gender or name.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
If you don't know the gender of a cat, calling it "it" is just as respectful as calling it "he" when it might be female.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I find that using the pronouns "schlim" or "schler" interchangeably provides sufficient confusion to cover my ass. Then I cheese it before they have a chance to catch on.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As a Spanish speaker I don't have that problem, since there's no direct equivalent of 'it'.
Masculine or feminine pronouns are a thing though. For example, "I'm looking for it" can be either "Lo estoy buscando" or "La estoy buscando", depending on the (painfully arbitrary) gender of the subject. Phones are male, cell phones are female. Books are male, bookstores are female. Houses are female, homes are male. And so on.
In English though? I'll "it" animals and babies all the time.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I don't find it as offensive when its used for animals or babies, though I think 'they' sounds a bit better.

It's a lot worse though when it's used to describe trans adults. Nothing pisses me off more though than when people refer to Caitlyn Jenner as 'it' because 1) why the fuck are we talking about Caitlyn Jenner?? and 2) no matter what you think about her she is still a person you dumb dick

Nachtwens

Jan 3, 2016
Tell your girlfriend to stop whining about things that don't matter. Disrespectful, really now? Yeah, I bet cats and newborn babies feel really disrespected by being called an 'it'.

Applying political correctness is wrong in any situation, but it's just comically stupid when it's used on animals and babies.

Let me guess, she's also a vegan, PETA member and sits on tumblr all day.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ando85 said:
I notice myself and a lot of others use the term "it" as a pronoun when referring to typically an animal or perhaps an unborn baby when the gender is not known.
As good as opportunity as I'll be able to get to use this quote again

Jerome K. Jerome said:
There are various methods by which you may achieve ignominy and shame. By murdering a large and respected family in cold blood and afterward depositing their bodies in the water companies' reservoir, you will gain much unpopularity in the neighborhood of your crime, and even robbing a church will get you cordially disliked, especially by the vicar. But if you desire to drain to the dregs the fullest cup of scorn and hatred that a fellow human creature can pour out for you, let a young mother hear you call dear baby "it."
Ando85 said:
I asked her what I should say instead in the case of say a stray cat. She then says its better to just say he or her despite not knowing the gender, as being wrong about that isn't bad like saying "it" apparently is to her.
That's your problem? What to call stiff instead of "it"? I used to have some problems with using gendered pronouns in the past but my solution was to...avoid them. It's not that hard in English - just use a different name that doesn't actually betray a gender. The stray cat can later be referred to as "the cat", "the stray", "the fuzzy one" or "the scruffy one" (depending on looks), "the feline", "the animal", "the trash muncher", "the fucking thing that scared the shit out of me when it jumped out of the garbage can" and numerous others that could even have more relevance depending on context. An unborn baby can be "the baby", "the unborn", "the child", "offspring", "little one", "little human", and so on. A born baby you don't know the gender of...I'll actually just let Jerome continue his thoughts

Jerome K. Jerome said:
Your best plan is to address the article as "little angel." The noun "angel" being of common gender suits the case admirably, and the epithet is sure of being favorably received. "Pet" or "beauty" are useful for variety's sake, but "angel" is the term that brings you the greatest credit for sense and good-feeling. The word should be preceded by a short giggle and accompanied by as much smile as possible. And whatever you do, don't forget to say that the child has got its father's nose. This "fetches" the parents (if I may be allowed a vulgarism) more than anything. They will pretend to laugh at the idea at first and will say, "Oh, nonsense!" You must then get excited and insist that it is a fact. You need have no conscientious scruples on the subject, because the thing's nose really does resemble its father's--at all events quite as much as it does anything else in nature--being, as it is, a mere smudge.
But there are others that can apply, as well.

I've not run across a situation where you can only ever use a pronoun and nothing else would do.

As for me nowadays - I still try to avoid using pronouns but not as much as before. When talking about somebody whose gender I know, I'd use "he" or "she"; if I don't know the gender I would sometimes use "they" or just avoid pronouns; for inanimate thoughtless objects, like a table or chair, using "it" is quite appropriate; if it's generally an object but for some reason has thoughts and/or feeling - be it anthropomorphic object in a story or maybe a self-aware robot, perhaps an AI, then I try to make a second judgement call to determine whether a different pronoun is more appropriate - if it's hard to figure out (takes more than few seconds to think about), then I don't use pronouns; for mostly everything else - I try to not use pronouns.

Seems to work for me and I've been using this tactic for quite a while now.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
When beginning to learn English at school, I was taught that animals and babies whose sexes are unknown should be referred to as "it". I don't know, makes sense to me, and since we are referring to beings without gender identity I'm inclined to continue to do so. The baby might have male genitals but that doesn't mean it will identify as one in the future, so it seems actually more problematic to me to insist on a small child's sex as reference point for respective pronouns.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Ando85 said:
However, my girlfriend gives me flak about it all the time. She finds it disrespectful and offensive. I only agree when the pronoun is used when the gender is known such as say a father calling his three-month-old daughter "it" instead of her.
Does it actually offend you to use the pronouns she suggests? If not, then permit me to suggest that being willful for the sake of it is going to create more friction in your relationship than there needs to be, and you could just compromise here.

Ando85 said:
Otherwise I don't really think its that terrible.
I don't either, but I'm not the one you're sleeping with, so.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I tend to use the word "they". I've always found "it" or "what" to be somewhat unusual to say with regards to people since I generally understand those two to be referencing objects.

When it comes to animals, I tend to guess the gender based on the name. If I don't know the name, I'll probably guess that it is a girl.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Since I'm not a native English speaker I'll stick to it, since if I translate "they" it is always plural and cannot be used as a singular in my own language, so it makes no sense for me to use it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Blood Brain Barrier said:
'They' is just as bad as 'it', if not worse because it is plural.
Why is implying someone is more than one person as bad as implying they're inanimate?

I tend to use "they" myself. I'd prefer gender neutrality to technical correctness.