What do you think about when you run?

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
I run in the gym, if I do it anywhere. Problem is I'm very self-conscious so I'm always concentrating on one of two things:

1) How heavy my breathing is - I don't want to be that guy that sounds like he is about to keel over and die. So I try to make my breathing quiet and, therefore, fairly shallow. Then I tend to run out of breath and to catch up with my oxygen-debt, I have to start breathing like the guy who's going to die. Or I stop running. I know, I'm a prat.

2) That I'm not running in a stupid way. I see joggers all day who all run in ridiculous ways, and usually, each one is different. I don't want to be that guy, so if I'm not concentrating too much on 1) then its this.

Yeah, sod running: I'm sticking to the rowing machine.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Usually "This is boring...but must keep going!" on the treadmill. Usually "Ooh, fluffy-cows!" when not running in a gym.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I try not to think too much when I run. But that's nearly impossible as I am constantly thinking about something. Replaying memories in my head, considering alternative words I could have used in a conversation, how much I want to bang the girl at work etc...

If I'm doing long distance running then it'll be a constant battle for my mind trying to convince my body to keep on running.

I considered the philosphical meaning of alternate realities on a particularly boring 4 mile run just last week...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I usually think about math, mostly fractions, but also a lot of algebra and some calculus depending on what I've been doing the last couple days.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
During practice I'm usually talking to the guys next to me, if I'm alone I think some pretty deep thoughts and stuff in my life. Call me weird, but I enjoy running. During a race, I focus on form and then something to increase my adreniline. And I always ALWAYS have a song in my head.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
During 1000m:
"Oh God, he's catching up to me. I can't let him do that. Damn, stop thinking, you're losing concentration, etc..."

Emperor Platypus

Feb 17, 2010
I zone out most of the time mainly for two reasons:

1: I don't hate running, I do however prefer to show man's superiority over nature by using a car. So when I have too (which I do. After all the alternative is getting chubby) Allowing my mind to wander off for a while makes the actual running a lot easier.

2: I found out that if you think about the right stuff you can give yourself a nice adrenaline rush which always feels nice.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
the_tralfalmadorian said:
Probably whatever i am running from, as i typically only run if it is absolutely necessary.
This. Or "I hate running I hate running I hate running I hate running..."

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
the_tralfalmadorian said:
Probably whatever i am running from, as i typically only run if it is absolutely necessary.
I wanted to be the one to say this.

Oh well too late.

OT: Umm, usualy i let my mind wander the unmaped trails of my consousness, sometimes it gets lost and i have to go in after it. [sub]stupid mind, getting lost all the time while im running[/sub]