omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
nope
nope
yep
nope
nope

To me, if you need to drink alcohol at any point, so much so that you need to carry it with you ... I think you have a problem.

I think the best way to enjoy alcohol is with a small group of friends every so often, just 1 or 2. Not some house party or "piss up", just a good chin wag about whatever-the-fuck.

Then again, I haven't drunk in 8 years so who the fuck am I to tell drinkers what's acceptable and what's not?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Have you ever seen one? Yes, I have one.
Have you ever used one? Yes, I have one.
Do flasks have a bad rep? No. A mystery bottle in a brown paper bag has a bad reputation.
Are the cool? Indifferent, I don't think it makes anyone cooler to have one.
Or just tacky? I don't think so, unless it's blatantly tacky like diamond encrusted or Christmas-sweater-patterned or the owner is blatantly trying to show off.

Mike 'Rekkie' Roper

Oct 20, 2015
I love a drink during a hike or climb. I own a flask that's taped in camo. I wouldn't say they're 'cool' but useful would describe them better. I guess films use them to capture a sense of grit or attitude to the character.

Tacky?

"I don't think so, unless it's blatantly tacky like diamond encrusted or Christmas-sweater-patterned or the owner is blatantly trying to show off."

I'll agree with Spaceman Spiff.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I've got one that I take to funerals, non-alcoholic wedding receptions (my in-laws are terrible), and holiday gatherings.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't really care one way or the other about them. But then I don't share the internet's irrational hatred of hipsters. They're just kids being kids and having a fashion identity for their age.

In the immortal words of Harry Dresden. "Let he who hath never stone washed his jeans, cast the first fashion stone"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Yes I have seen one

Yes I have one

Yes they are viewed as for alcoholics typically

Ehhhhhh

Depends what you have in it, do you have dollar store vodka or fine single malt scotch?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I have a hip flask.
Hip flasks are awesome- alcohol prices at gigs and festivals are appalling and you can't carry alcohol in, so it's nice having a pocketful of whisky. Personally I think my hipflask is fucking excellent, but I'm not in the business of giving a fuck if people think I'm a hipster. That boat probably sailed a while ago.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
TheRightToArmBears said:
I have a hip flask.
Hip flasks are awesome- alcohol prices at gigs and festivals are appalling and you can't carry alcohol in, so it's nice having a pocketful of whisky. Personally I think my hipflask is fucking excellent, but I'm not in the business of giving a fuck if people think I'm a hipster. That boat probably sailed a while ago.
Hip flask. Because you wear it on your hip? Or because it's hip to have one? Or because it's used by hipsters?

Capcha: i like people. No i don't. I made an entire thread about how i don't like people :/

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Too drunk lazy to answer your questions point by point.
TheRightToArmBears said:
I have a hip flask.
I have a hip flask as well, although it doesn't have a snazzy fabric cover. :p

I mainly just bring it to the occasions where I expect alcohol to be stupid expensive or to house BYOB parties where I cannot be assed to bring a bring a backpack to carry a six-pack. A flask of vodka can make a night go by just fine and my friends almost always owe me beers for set favors so it all works out in the end.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I own one! But it was a gift and it's only there for decoration.
Since I don't drink that much I wouldn't know if it's cool or accepted. It does look like the trait of an alcoholic though.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Well this thread has prompted me to buy an engraved 6oz pewter hip flask. I figured I can fill it with Laguvilin scotch or some excellent local ports and muscats when I go camping, to a social event or weddings etc.

Apparently pewter has less metallic taste (and isn't as expensive as silver).

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Have you ever seen one? - Yes. I'd be surprised if someone didn't.

Have you ever used one? - Yes. I own two, actually. Both engraved. Both gifts. Both used (the rare occasions I actually use one of them) to carry candies like mints or M&Ms. Or water or Gatorade whenever I have a cold and need to stay hydrated. Rarely have I put alcohol in them. (I don't need to carry booze with me where ever I go)

Do flasks have a bad rep? - Depends on what circles you frequent. For the most part, they do.

Are they cool? - Also depends on what circles you frequent. Some people will think they're cool, like admiring someone's specially made Zippo. Others won't and will assume anyone with a flask is either a hipster or an alcoholic.

Or just tacky? - Oh, even amongst those who like flasks there are flasks that would be considered tacky. They're like certain types of hats. Depends on who's wearin' 'em and how they're wearin' 'em.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
The only time I would need a flask is to put my evil brothers back in so they can go back to hell.

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
I've come to feel that any act of public consumption of alcohol is an extroverted gesture - unless one is alcoholic of course - I find that people pouring rum, sipping from a red cup, nipping from a flask, carrying a cocktail on a dance floor, are eternally mimicking gestures and movements that they have seen in popular culture.

I barely ever do anything like this. I do drink but I don't do it very often because I'm too distracted by the rest of my life.

I think flasks are, really, kind of hipster social statements. And I don't really take any kind of social statement seriously, if people don't take the time to perceive the reality that is you then don't take the time to educate them about it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Flask is better than can!
It's glass, so when someone tells you to drink the beverage out of a glass, no need to move.
The glass doesn't rub of an icky alumunium-y taste on the drink.
Out of a cold glassflask, tasteheaven!
If someone gets angry and all aggressive, instant defenceweapon, either as blunt or if broken, sharp object.
You can not possibly tell me after all this that cans still are better?

EDIT:
I misunderstood the whole freakin question!!
Sory, not English speaker, so I thought you meant this with a "flask", just from basing it on the word of my mothertongue...

And to actually answer the question now that I know what a flask is...
I use one when I need a little of my whiskey with me when goin to parties and such, not very often though.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Have you ever seen one? - to me that's like saying 'have you ever seen a door'

Have you ever used one? - yes.

Do flasks have a bad rep? - no idea.

Are the cool? - no idea.

Or just tacky? - no idea.

Never really been aware they're viewed in any kind of way. They're a functional object that someone might use or not use - nothing more. I love single-malts, and if I go walking [around Salisbury] with a brother in law who also loves 'em, then sometimes I take mine. Usually I don't remember to bring it... so really, absent minded laziness and a fondness for whiskey in glasses defines my very rare use.

But in principle I love 'em, as tasting a good whiskey when you're surrounded by nature's just a perfect combination.
Muspelheim said:
And when you're taking booze with you for a trip, that tiny amount won't do any good.
Won't do any "good" - what does that mean, exactly?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Muspelheim said:
And when you're taking booze with you for a trip, that tiny amount won't do any good.
Won't do any "good" - what does that mean, exactly?
Well clearly the only reason to have a drink is to get shit-faced wasted. Why even bother if that's not the point?

:p