What do you think of men passing abortion laws?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Women should have complete control over the choice of abortion or not...
...but men shouldn't be required to pay child support.

Win-win.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
SeeIn2D said:
Question: Do you agree that women should be able to choose or do you think that abortion should be illegal?
Question 2: Do you think that men have a right to help pass or stop a law which prevents abortion?
yes women SHOULD have the right to choose.

No men should have no say.

to add- I understand if a woman gets pregnant and the man wants it, and she doesn't that can be hard, but if you're gonna have sex with someone shouldn't it be with someone you love, and you've discussed having children... dream i live is pretty by the way.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
Fluoxetine said:
Both male and female politicians, as well as all civil servants, need to pass laws according to the majority wills of their district. Women have the right to vote, and their votes should be counted accordingly in all issues. No more, no less.

The gay marriage issue really got me thinking about this. We had politicians demanding voter recounts for gay marriage after a clear majority vote decided against it, and then after it was brought into legislature we had civil servants refusing to sign the certificates. It doesn't matter where you stand on the issue: ACCEPT AND OBEY WHAT THE VOTERS TELL YOU THEY WANT.
But to what extent? Just because it's a majority opinion, doesn't mean it's the morally right one. Think of votes that excluded woman from voting, Segregation laws etc. At some point it was a minority who believed those were the moral perogative.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
I do believe abortion should be legal.

But I also believe that the father should have an equal say in it as the mother does. And if one parent wants the child but the other wants an abortion the child should be the sole responsibility of the parent that wanted it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
The USA is a democracy, a representative democracy. A republic is just a country without a monarch, China and North Korea are republics.
That's not what a Republic is, and yes. the US is a Republic. It is sometimes clled a "Democratic Republic," but it is a republic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, and yes.

I don't particularly think areas of legislation should be relegated to specific genders (even if that's what they primarily concern), although I do find it both telling and disturbing that pro-lifers are generally male, and it's predominantly men passing laws.

Zachary Amaranth said:
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The USA is a democracy, a representative democracy. A republic is just a country without a monarch, China and North Korea are republics.
That's not what a Republic is, and yes. the US is a Republic. It is sometimes clled a "Democratic Republic," but it is a republic.
Eh, scrap that post, wasn't paying attention to what you were replying to. Jumped the gun with that one.

Wolverine18 said:
Yeah, and the supreme power in China and North Korea most certainly does not lie with the people.

Catie Caraco

Jun 27, 2011
1) Pro Choice 100%. America is not a Theocracy, people need to keep their Religion out of my Politics.

2) I don't have a problem with men voting on the laws. I DO have a problem with people trying to pass legislation based on religious views. I also have a problem with all male groups discussing women's health, which has happened in this country.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
a democracy is defined as a nation in which citizens vote to determine public action & policy. We don't do that in the USA, we have the citizens elect officials to do that for us.
What you described is a direct democracy, the US is a representative democracy, they're two sides of the same coin.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not saying the US isn't a republic, I'm saying a republic and a democracy are different things.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Beautiful Tragedy said:
yes women SHOULD have the right to choose.

No men should have no say.

to add- I understand if a woman gets pregnant and the man wants it, and she doesn't that can be hard, but if you're gonna have sex with someone shouldn't it be with someone you love, and you've discussed having children... dream i live is pretty by the way.
Why should a man not have any say? (I take it you meant "No, men should have no say" instead of the double negative you wrote.) The child is as much the man's as it is the woman's. Yes, she carries the child, but it could still be in the man's heart. And what if a man isn't ready to be a father? He shirks the responsibilities thrust upon him by society and is instantly the devil incarnate.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
DJjaffacake said:
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
a democracy is defined as a nation in which citizens vote to determine public action & policy. We don't do that in the USA, we have the citizens elect officials to do that for us.
What you described is a direct democracy, the US is a representative democracy, they're two sides of the same coin.
My social studies classes always called it representative republic or constitutional republic.
My government and politics class uses direct [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy] and representative [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy] democracy, and wikipedia agrees with me.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Oh boy I think I'm going to regret posting *prepares flame shield*
Doubt that actually. The only difference between you and the majority on this forum is that you first note you wouldn't want one when personally concerned.

Likewise pretty sure that many vocal supporters of abortion would love to have kids themselves. It's not called "Pro-choice" for nothing.

Anyhow, back on topic: isn't it slightly weird to assume that by virtue of being the right gender you get a decidedly bigger say on issues that still don't personally concern you? If you'd compare the experiences, outlooks, and environment of eg. a 60 year old lawmaker who's worked their way up from the bottom, and a 22 year old literature student from a titled (and stinking rich) family, then you'll find that gender is a relative minor factor.

DJjaffacake said:
DJjaffacake said:
DJjaffacake said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
My social studies classes always called it representative republic or constitutional republic.
My government and politics class uses direct [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy] and representative [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy] democracy, and wikipedia agrees with me.
Just sayin', but a republic is a democracy. The only reason it has a specific name is to mark the difference with a constitutional monarchy - which also is a democracy.

It's quite funny though to see this argument over names.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
1. Kill all the fetuses you want. They're not worth a thing.

2. If that's who was voted in, I think they can do enough research to make an informed decision.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I don't think anyone should vote on how another person deals with their body. I don't personally believe in abortion, however I am very pro choice. Also, I'd vote a woman in if we'd stop getting the crazy women who are just as bad as some of the men who want to be in congress.

Frungy said:
Finally some food for thought. I live in Japan and an unmarried foreign friend of mine got pregnant. She went to the clinic to get an abortion and was handed a form... which required consent from both the woman AND the man in order to get an abortion. Yup, she couldn't get an abortion unless she got the man's permission too. I was pretty shocked.
How does that work if the woman was raped and she doesn't know her rapist or if she has no contact with the man who got her pregnant? Or if it's a case of molestation or something like that? I'm not saying that's a bad idea, on the contrary I LIKE that idea I'm just curious as I've never heard of that. What country was this in(presuming it wasn't in Japan since you said foreign friend)?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
1) Yup, pro-abortion here.

2) Well gee, I don't really think anyone should be allowed to control another person's body, it's not any better if a woman is controlling a woman than if a man is controlling a woman. Though, it's still a democracy the US, so if one gender can pass laws about it, the other should to, otherwise we get in a really fucking bad situation.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
SeeIn2D said:
Alright well I'm sure most people in the US and probably some outside know about all of the abortion stuff going on in the US currently. If you don't then essentially the two major parties are divided on the issue of abortion (like many other issues) with the Democrats supporting the right to choice which basically says women have a right to choose whether they get an abortion or not, and the Republicans are supporting the right to life which basically says that women can't get an abortion.

Question: Do you agree that women should be able to choose or do you think that abortion should be illegal?
Question 2: Do you think that men have a right to help pass or stop a law which prevents abortion?

And my part of the argument is that a man should never pass a law about a woman's body simple as that. I obviously know that there are women in the government in both parties, but the people actually passing the laws will be majority male which I don't think is right. And conversely I don't think women should ever have the right to pass a law regarding a man's body. Anyone agree or disagree with this?

Captcha: whole shebang
OT: Women should have complete right in deciding whether to have the child or not.
conversely
Men should have complete right to choose whether to be involved supporting the child or not.