What do you think of pop music?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Tank207 said:
It's uncreative corporately manufactured garbage that gets forced down people's throats until they're brainwashed into liking it after hearing it on the radio for the 500th time.
Am I the only one that couldn't give a shit if pop is popular or not? Like, when I was young and thought I was cool, my attitude was similar to this but honestly, who cares? Justin Beiber isn't making music for you, big deal. Just let people enjoy what they want without the condescension.

Marik2 said:
Been getting into K Pop. It's somewhat better than murican pop music.
K [https://youtu.be/5rvCbPJkmqs] hip-hop [https://youtu.be/rCeM57e2BfU] is more interesting, in my humble opinion. A lot of k-pop is fun and usually well produced but too samey for me.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I used to hate it with a burning passion, back when I was in high school and couldn't escape it.

Then in college, when I became a metal elitist, I stopped hating it, but still bemoaned the fact that people listened to it.

Now, it's just something that happens. I never listen to it, but its existence doesn't bother me anymore. At the very worst, it'll piss me off if a neighbor is blaring it out his window near my condo. Then again, I think the same goes for loud music in general, when I'm trying to have some quiet time at home.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
scorn the biomage said:
Pop music isn't really my cup of tea but its doesn't annoy me like bro country.
Bro country? What's that? It it just country, or a particular sub-genre of country?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
sageoftruth said:
scorn the biomage said:
Bro country? What's that? It it just country, or a particular sub-genre of country?
Bro Country is pretty much what modern country is, what I call Hick Hop. It's as formulaic as regular pop music but more insulting because it's artists try to portray themselves as regular down home small town blue collar folks and not wealthy performers. Worse yet, it even SOUNDS like pop music and is no longer distinctive.

Pretty much every song in Bro/Pop Country/Hick Hop falls into one of the following

-I come from a small one horse town and it's better than the city/City ppl are fgts.
-I'm going to drink pisswater beer and chase tail tonight (but no sex) on Friday, then pray to Jesus on Sunday.
-I love America, my family and the baby Jesus and I need to remind you.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Smithnikov said:
sageoftruth said:
scorn the biomage said:
Bro Country is pretty much what modern country is, what I call Hick Hop. It's as formulaic as regular pop music but more insulting because it's artists try to portray themselves as regular down home small town blue collar folks and not wealthy performers. Worse yet, it even SOUNDS like pop music and is no longer distinctive.

Pretty much every song in Bro/Pop Country/Hick Hop falls into one of the following

-I come from a small one horse town and it's better than the city/City ppl are fgts.
-I'm going to drink pisswater beer and chase tail tonight (but no sex) on Friday, then pray to Jesus on Sunday.
You, sir, have won the Internet for today. Between ?Hick Hop? (which I?ve added to my personal vocabulary) and those last three bullets, I literally laughed out loud.

My girlfriend, God love her, is a HUGE Country fan, and I can personally attest that not a single part of your statement is false; those three bullets literally cover 99.9% of country music. Being from Oklahoma, my GF?s genetically predisposed to Country music, and I have suffered it 7 days a week for +2 years,. There?s many a night I sit across from her, stare into her beautiful, brown eyes, watch her supple lips sing along with Johnny Cash or Blake Shelton crooning in the background, and I?ll think to myself: ?I should kill myself. Like right now.?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, the Disney stuff is kind of overproduced junk. Its inexperienced vocalists mixed with lowest-bidder production for the most part. Some of the time also mixed with actors doing singing without any kind of proper training for it.

As to "Pop music" in general thats a pretty broad question. Songs written with simple four chord progression in basic major and minor keys and Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus structure covers plenty of things that aren't at all bad. Defined as Top 40, or Top 100, or what have you there's still a decent number of things amidst the all the lazy cash grabbing, meme fodder (since youtube became a chart factor), and so on.

Of course, the one nod I give to any musician, regardless of personal taste for their music, is if they're doing their own thing. Whatever, do your creative thing, no judge. But if you're a musician getting paid thousands (or millions) of dollars and being held up as a top tier performer to perform stuff other people are writing for you, as is 99% of said pop music, thats where the judgement starts to come in when there's obvious gaps in talent or effort or execution.

That segues into another issue, where its often hard to take pop music at its face value. The guys discussing mainline (NAshville controlled radio) country up there kind of touched on it. If you take what should be earnest experience based sentiment in music, and then mass produce it by committee and dole out to marketable faces to present, it strips a ton out of it. Even if the performer has some sincerity behind the tone, the curtain on thats been gone for awhile and its hard to take it as actual emotion. Country is a genre that essentially is built on storytelling, so its taken a huge hit from this effect, but it seeps into other genres as well.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Xprimentyl said:
Smithnikov said:
sageoftruth said:
scorn the biomage said:

You, sir, have won the Internet for today. Between ?Hick Hop? (which I?ve added to my personal vocabulary) and those last three bullets, I literally laughed out loud.

My girlfriend, God love her, is a HUGE Country fan, and I can personally attest that not a single part of your statement is false; those three bullets literally cover 99.9% of country music. Being from Oklahoma, my GF?s genetically predisposed to Country music, and I have suffered it 7 days a week for +2 years,. There?s many a night I sit across from her, stare into her beautiful, brown eyes, watch her supple lips sing along with Johnny Cash or Blake Shelton crooning in the background, and I?ll think to myself: ?I should kill myself. Like right now.?
I would say go easy on her if it really is Johnny Cash, as he was part of an era of country that...well, I don't LOVE, but I have to say I appreciate quite a bit in light of what it turned into. a lot of the tropes I hate were forming in the genre, but at least it was it's own thing, and there was a good amount of soul to the music.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Pop Music is a brilliant satirical, neo-dadaist take on the desire-based values increasingly permeating the modern western world. What is unique about this vibrant and dynamic art-form is that it takes both its audience and creator unawares, almost taking on a life of its own by manipulating the very social forces which it claims to represent, and thereby reproduces them in the consumer who is the vehicle for the viral-like quality which is wielded by the music's aesthetic and lyrical content. This interplay of impersonal forces mirrors the sheer violence of the desire-economy, whereby dasein is a helpless observer left in the wake of unbeknown destruction not of its own making or indeed, which is not known to it in any language except on its own visceral terms, thus concealing the concealed by means of concealment. The consequence is an artform which is unlikely to be appreciated as higher artistic endeavour until sublimated into a post-identity epoch. As Hegel once said, "The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. The ceaseless activity of their own inherent nature makes these stages moments of an organic unity, where they not merely do not contradict one another, but where one is as necessary as the other; and constitutes thereby the life of the whole."

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
The stuff you've posted sounds like a focus tested product written by a committee, produced on a conveyor belt.
There's nothing beyond the bare minimum in those songs. The simplest beat, melody and lyrics, competent but bland production quality, generic music videos, singers chosen through a casting with Autotuned vocals that sound robotic and have no personality.
I've just listened to those songs and I can't remember anything about them because they sound exactly like all the other generic manufactured pop songs.
The only reason why people know these songs is because they're constantly being played on the radio and put on the front pages of streaming services. Otherwise, nobody would listen to them.
Sometimes, you get artists like Lorde who bring something fresh to pop music (partially because she actually writes her own stuff) but for the most part, it's all a sea of mediocrity, the fast food of music. It's meant to make a profit and be forgotten, nothing more.