What do you think of soldiers?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Magefeanor said:
Lovely Mixture said:
But it is kind of messed up when I go through my thoughts and I realize that my mind finds the Japanese bombings (including Hiroshima and Nagasaki) more justifiable than 9/11.
Not messed up at all... The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings saved countless of lives, 9/11(or 11/9 where I live :p) just lead to more people being killed. So the bombings were justified to an extent, the plane crashes were not.

Random fact: The purple hearts given out were all made for the possible invasion of Japan. They haven't made new purple hearts in over 60 years!
[/quote]

Indeed, and that's the argument I would use.

I guess I didn't meant to say "justifiable." It's just that they are both equally violent acts but my mind perceives them differently because of the context.

Mycroft Holmes said:
You seemed to want to only hold them accountable for their overt actions like the My Lai massacre.
That's an assumption on your part.

Mycroft Holmes said:
I was merely pointing out the much larger range of damage that 'normal'(which is to say incidents that aren't massacres) war has on civilian populations.
Yeah and I understand that. I'm not arguing degrees of damage, I'm arguing how we perceive things. If you think a soldier has done damage, it's in your rights to argue so.

Mycroft Holmes said:
Also I would consider "holding them accountable" to be judging them for their actions to a legal degree, with all the potential for punishment that entails, which will simply never happen. Not only are there legions of people who would be appalled at the idea of indicting soldiers, but I have no desire to do so either. Two wrong doings do not make a right, and there is a system behind them that is pushing these soldiers to do what they do. And those are the people if anyone that should be held accountable.
I'm not sure what you're arguing to me about here.

We're talking about personal feelings in regards to soldiers, hence the "YOU hold them accountable." The other part I was arguing about the law was in regards to WWII figures (or at least that's what I thought).
I don't control society, the political system, or the legal system. Yes they are all flawed.

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Unfortunately my experiences with actual soldiers as human beings have not been good ones.

Three people I know in my school (two of whom regularly bullied me) went on to join the army. One of them now has PTSD due to some incident, the other is now in prison for rounding up and beating up Iraqi civilians for his own gratification.

On two separate incidents when having a political discussion with two different former soldiers, *both* of them, independently told me that my position (as an academic), was less valid, if not meaningless than their viewpoint, because I had never put my life on the line for my country. Unless you're willing to fight and die for your country they felt you shouldn't expect to have any say in it's direction - almost harking back to the Roman concept of "citizenship" (I don't entirely disagree with meritocratic government, but that's a discussion for another thread)

Then of course there's the whole moral aspect of paying someone to kill other people. I understand why we need soldiers; in an ideal world nobody would ever kill anyone - but that's not reality, and the reality is the guy with a gun and the will to use it is king in a land of pacifists. But still, I'm curious to understand why anyone would volunteer for the job.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I respect the people who defend our country against foreign threats... even if I don't agree with the politics involved.

Urgol

Feb 5, 2009
I find it funny that most of the pro military arguments dosen't have much to do with the political side of the matter. I can easily see the same arguments apply to those who join the military where I live.

And most of them are trained to fight the US soldiers.

OT:I find it fundamentally irresponsible to let another person decide on who you should attack. Even if you don't actually get in a combat situation yourself you are still there to support those who does and in that way support the conflict itself.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
They fulfill a service which occurs at the peak of conflicting opinions, values, and ideologies, often with violent and murderous force. Their motivations may differ, but the service still remains.

I respect them in the same way a I respect a gun's capacity to kill, both thankful and wary.

I may not enjoy the fact that they might someday be required to kill, but the service is there to protect my home, so the questions of whether or not my opinion is justified remains a constant scrutiny.

They are also people, thus capable of thought, action, pride, remorse, and any spectrum of human emotion, and so they are susceptible to flaws.

That's about as far as my opinion of soldiers goes.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
piinyouri said:
thaluikhain said:
Veylon said:
one that I think everyone should perform,
You think everyone should be a soldier? Why?
Indeed, I'm curious to know why they think this too.
I do get defending your country and being honorable, but some people are just, plain and simple NOT cut out to be soldiers.
Having these people on a field of battle would be a liability. Which is why I've always thought a draft is a kind of strange idea from conception.
One of the unintended consequences of a draft in a democracy is that it builds in an automatic resistance to war on the part of the populace. People are a lot less eager for us to invade some place when "us" includes "them". Supporting the war risks putting you on a random death list.

That's the ideal, anyway. I'll grant that soldiering requires a lot more skill than it used too, so it may well be the case that you can't turn a civilian into an effective soldier with a couple months of boot camp anymore.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
You get your bad eggs in every group and I don?t automatically respect a solider by default but the ones I've meet are good people. It would be nice if we didn't need to have soldiers at all but the world doesn't work that way. Its not the fault of the soldiers when there is a war.

Although I live in New Zealand. Many countries have militaries bigger than our entire country so our military, aside from the SAS from what I've seen in less combat orientated and do a lot of aid work (of course that's also the part they want public). Many join for the education, especially if you want to do engieering.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Gameguy20100 said:
I Can not stand them I just Despise them. Hang on I will explain.

Soldiers are the very definition of lawful neutral Trained to kill on command by the government and never have a say in it.

In addition to that some of them are easily the most arrogant most disgusting excuses for Human beings I have ever met they murder countless people and for what? Nothing, To many people consider "Soldier" to mean the people on our side and the opposing side to be monsters nothing could be further from the truth.

Every person on either side who dies is someones Child or parent or lover and they all die for pointless reasons and people try to justify it and that fucking disgusts me.

I always say that All soldiers should get another job because the one they have is just a pointless waste of human life.

I understand how that can be seen as offensive and I'm sorry if you were but they are just one type of people I wil never have any respect for.

In my eyes there are only 2 types of Soldier

1) the trigger happy ones who think war is great and always look down on people with other jobs (the ones I hate)

2) the poor sods who are ripped from their Family's knowing that they will more than likely die and will never see them again (who I have only sympathy and pity for)
You forgot the 3rd type of soldier in your post;

3) TPeople like me that must go to the army as a soldier because it is mandatory for every one over the 18.

I will not talk about the other type of soldiers you had said in your post, just for the 3rd type.
Because I don't like to say too many words, I will just say in the specific camp I was into we learned to help each other because if we don't, we could get in a lot of trouble.
Even if I didn't liked the army, at least the other soldiers helped me and i helped them in return.
Sure, some of them I met was assholes, but some of them again stay longer for their stupidity.

So remember, NOT all soldiers are the same.

That all from me.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Magefeanor said:
Not messed up at all... The Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings saved countless of lives, 9/11(or 11/9 where I live :p) just lead to more people being killed. So the bombings were justified to an extent, the plane crashes were not.

Random fact: The purple hearts given out were all made for the possible invasion of Japan. They haven't made new purple hearts in over 60 years!
This is bunk, spread by high school history teachers not worth their pay.

Japan had been talking about surrender for weeks before the bombings, talking to Russia to act as a mediator. And the atomic bombings only killed a max of 80,000 in Nagasaki and between 90,000 and 166,000 in Hiroshima. A firebombing(which we had been doing repeatedly on multiple cities during later period of the war) killed a full 125,000 people in one instance alone; Far more than Nagasaki and comparable to Hiroshima. Excessively powerful bomb attacks was absolutely nothing new.

And if you want to talk about the horror of those weapons, firebombs created tornado's of flame with hurricane winds charring those outside to ash and slowly burning those who sought cover to death. The smoke was so thick it was able to penetrate air raid bunkers suffocating those inside. Mothers and fathers dashed their children's heads against walls to spare them the agony of being roasted alive. These were every bit as horrific if not more so.

A full 67% of Hiroshima's buildings, transportation systems, and urban structures were destroyed by the atomic bombs. 40% of Nagasaki was destroyed. Firebombs by comparison destroyed 99% of all structures in Toyama. 51% of Tokyo(a city the size of New York.) 81% of Fukuyama. Across the board firebombs destroyed just as much or more. And Japan had been suffering these bomb attacks on city after city for months; and you think that the nukes really effected their decision more so than the even more destructive bombings already occurring?

If anything forced Japan to surrender it was Russia. Say what you want about the war in the Pacific, but the War in Europe was a slugging match between Russia and Germany. And Russia was well on their way to crushing the Germans before the US even hit the beaches in France(And we weren't even the bulk of the invasion in Normandy. There were more British soldiers than US. Our Lend Lease program certainly helped but it was something on the order of 4-7% of all materials, mainly food and clothes. You can definitely argue that even a 4% boost, is a huge deal in a war that heavily contested.

But you can't argue that Russia was a military juggernaut on a level that the US was just not. You can't argue that they inflicted over 80% of all casualties on Germany(a nation far more powerful than Japan at the time, which for comparison spent most of the war just stalling our attacks by making us spend a long time taking every island.) Even if we assume that every single Japanese casualty was inflicted by the US(which would be false, the Chinese Nationalists, Chinese Communists, Koreans, and Filipinos were all fighting as well) the Russians killed twice as many German soldiers as we did Japanese. More Germans died trying to take a single building from 20 Russian soldiers than they lost during the entire invasion of Paris.

Russia had a pretty sizable pacific fleet but the US had a much larger one. Apart from coastal shelling though, which was effective in Island hopping, a fleet couldn't really do much for the invasion of Japan beyond a staging ground for aircraft. What would make Japan scared? How about the largest most experienced fighting force in the entire world. With the strongest tanks in the world 2-3x the number the US had; and with the much more powerful t-34s and t-44s instead of the relatively weak US made Shermans making up the bulk of their force. Their invasion of the Japanese mainland was a much larger threat than the US.

So tell me, assuming the unlikely fact that you actually read this post(not being personal, people on the internet just hate reading and you're a person on the internet,) do you think they were more inclined to end the war because the US dropped a bomb on a few cities causing less damage, less deaths, and less complete horror than our firebombings had been inflicting for months? And keep in mind that our current fear of nukes is brought on by the much larger explosive yields, which weren't available to the US at the time and thus couldn't be imagined by Japan, and the radiation they produce, the effects of which didn't become clear until long after the war had ended and thus were unknown by Japan. Or do you think they surrendered because the largest military in the world(with the most veteran soldiers, the highest scoring pilots still flying at that point in the war, and the most powerful tanks still in operation) decided to turn the fuck around having conquered Germany and head east, taking Manchukuo in no time at all and inflicting 8x casualties on the Japanese there, six days before the Japanese decided to surrender?

Lovely Mixture said:
Indeed, and that's the argument I would use.

I guess I didn't meant to say "justifiable." It's just that they are both equally violent acts but my mind perceives them differently because of the context.
You would have better luck arguing the medical and scientific application of the research we got on radiation by examining both cities and their surviving inhabitants.

Lovely Mixture said:
That's an assumption on your part.
You didn't give any reason for me to think otherwise.

Lovely Mixture said:
I'm not sure what you're arguing to me about here.
Everything I say isn't automatically an argument.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
You didn't give any reason for me to think otherwise.
Gee. Sorry. Please don't assume I'm a America loving war apologists.

Mycroft Holmes said:
Everything I say isn't automatically an argument.
Then don't direct your soapbox at me as if I'm saying something wrong.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
And Japan had been suffering these bomb attacks on city after city for months; and you think that the nukes really effected their decision more so than the even more destructive bombings already occurring?
While that is true, that was using waves of bombers. A single plane being able to devastate an entire city makes quite a statement, and is harder to defend against.

Unfortunately, conventional bombings somehow don't count nowdays, it's nuclear or the people die die enough ro something.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Soldiers are just soldiers. Frankly, some of their life is just a little unfair. It's unfair because the military they work for will put them in a position that will be...rife with unpleasantness. I have friends in the various sections of U.S. military, and my cousin use to be in the army. Some like their lot in life and some don't. I have an opinion of the military in the general scheme of things. It does not make me hate soldiers.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
They have been brainwashed to believe that you should kill or die for a place because you were born there. Most have the same mentality as common gangbanger thugs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
2012 Wont Happen said:
They have been brainwashed to believe that you should kill or die for a place because you were born there. Most have the same mentality as common gangbanger thugs.
Do you happen to know most soldiers in the world, or even your country?

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
thaluikhain said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
Do you happen to know most soldiers in the world, or even your country?
I know that soldiers who sign up willingly have a generally nationalist mentality which is simply a larger scale gang thug mentality. Both arbitrarily celebrate one's home over morality or ideals. In my country there is a fully volunteer military, so every soldier signs up willingly.

Faraja

Apr 30, 2012
I'm working on getting into good enough shape to get into the Marine Corps OCS (officer candidates school). Soooo, ya know...I think that kind of explains it.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Just locking this thread before it gets out of control. I'm already starting to see quite a few reports, so I figure I'll nip this in the bud. Sorry!

Just a reminder: People are allowed to have their own opinions, even if it's very controversial. You can't expect me to punish someone for that, no matter how much you disagree with it.

Edit: Reopened through appeal. But I'm watching you. o_o

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Those of you who don't like soldiers, (and anyone else) what are your thoughts on what happened in Woolwich,
Southeast London, UK today?
Is it being covered by US news?

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I do not harbour any ill will to soldiers in particular, but I have a profound, unshakable opposition to the notion that a soldier is to never question orders. My country has a very troubled history with the military; and I have never tolerated the notion that as a soldier, you are to undertake actions that you know are war crimes/crimes against humanity simply because they are orders from your higher ups. That is the kind of thinking that I abhor on a fundamental level.

Unquestioning loyalty is deeply abhorrent to me.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Benny Blanco said:
Those of you who don't like soldiers, (and anyone else) what are your thoughts on what happened in Woolwich,
Southeast London, UK today?
Is it being covered by US news?
The only thing I saw about it was a small Yahoo article on the woman who stopped the killer. I don't know, maybe it's a bigger thing on TV here (don't watch TV myself, so I don't know).

OT: Why just keep to Army boys? Why not Marines, Sailors, and/or Airmen? (branches outside of the Army don't typically like being called soldiers, especially the Marines)

Anyway, my general feelings towards the enlisted is that I respect them. If I see on on the street in uniform, I'll salute them. They do a job that requires a lot of commitment and courage, and they get a lot of shit for it from a lot of people.
I love Fleet Week since so many Marines and Sailors come by and dear god do they look so hot in their uniforms, and looking all fit and proper, but thanks to some idiot Fleet Week won't be happening this year due to budget cuts.

Granted, not all of them deserve respect since some of them are bound to be asshats, but all the enlisted I've encountered have been very nice. Now, former enlisted people, that's a different story.