What do you think separates humans from other animals?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011

I think that the only thing separating humans from animals is technology and religion. you take these away, and we are no different, and even animals have their own technology because many of them like elephants, birds, an otters use tools too, they just don't need as many as we do and don't fully depend on them because of their evolutionary state. they understand survival comes first, yet they do help others of there own species out. humans can show animal instincts, like territorialism, which is basically "this is mine, i own it." and this is something humans do every day. humans are animals, i think that most of us are in denial or reject the fact, or are just oblivious to it. animals show a dislike of pain, this shows they have emotion, and they can be happy, or angry too, or any other emotion we feel, as do they.

So, what's your opinion? anything you have to say is valid. there are no stupid answers, because as a human, everything you do will prove a point for any argument made, as you are exerting human behavior, one of the things that will probably be discussed.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Creativity and in some cases, sentience. But I've never really seen a solid definition for sentience. Some people tell me it's self-awareness, others tell me it's having a subjective experience.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Aristotle said it was rational thought and intellect, and I agree, regardless of the weak challenges to that notion produced by modern biologists so far.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I don't want to say "soul" because I don't think everyone believes in one, but, personally, that is one to me.

I'm going to have to go with the ability to stray from instinct and making certain decisions based on critical thinking.

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Using tools to build other tools, which turn into intelligent tools that build tools we could no longer make on our own.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well, I believe we are just a smarter animal that has luckily (for us, unlucky for all the rest) evolved quicker than any other species. I'm sure once humanity is extinct and other species take our place, one will rise above the rest and shit will start all over again.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've always been really fond of the explanation Jack London gave in his book 'White Fang': Animals don't ask 'why?'.

Why is the sky blue? Why does fire hurt? Why can't I try this? Why can't I do that? Why am I even asking why?

Humans do ask why. They then when they find out why, those answers only create more questions. Hell one of the first (and most annoying) thing kids learn how to do is start asking why, it's part of our species to question everything.

Honestly I've no clue if there's any real truth to the statement but I liked it.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Language

face it, individually, a lot of us aren't that much smarter than the average gorilla. The big difference between us and them is that we are able to share ideas and record them. An invention from one person can be used and improved by people over thousands of years, where any innovation another ape comes up with will be lost once they die.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
CulixCupric said:

I think that the only thing separating humans from animals is technology and religion. you take these away, and we are no different, and even animals have their own technology because many of them like elephants, birds, an otters use tools too, they just don't need as many as we do and don't fully depend on them because of their evolutionary state. they understand survival comes first, yet they do help others of there own species out. humans can show animal instincts, like territorialism, which is basically "this is mine, i own it." and this is something humans do every day. humans are animals, i think that most of us are in denial or reject the fact, or are just oblivious to it. animals show a dislike of pain, this shows they have emotion, and they can be happy, or angry too, or any other emotion we feel, as do they.

So, what's your opinion? anything you have to say is valid. there are no stupid answers, because as a human, everything you do will prove a point for any argument made, as you are exerting human behavior, one of the things that will probably be discussed.
Im sure most people are gonna say some bullshit like these guys
Nouw said:
Creativity and in some cases, sentience. But I've never really seen a solid definition for sentience. Some people tell me it's self-awareness, others tell me it's having a subjective experience.
isometry said:
Aristotle said it was rational thought and intellect, and I agree, regardless of the weak challenges to that notion produced by modern biologists so far.
These are pretty damn arrogant and self-obsessed thoughts your typical human with spew out claiming our difference from other animals is something in throught or creativity. This is crap, animals such as dogs and elephants have painted pictures which have sold for tens of thousands of dollars. So where does this leave human creativity? No where. Its a bullshit lie humans tell themselves to make themselves feel better about not being creative themselves.

Im sure this is coming off pretty strong. Im just tired of seeing these answers to what separates us from animals. People always try to give some BS "enlightened" answer. But you cant say for 100% certainty that animals dont worship anything, arent creative or self aware, or even have rational thought. What if other animals chose not to be giant douche bags and destroy their ecosystems because they were happy living the way things were. Unlike humans who just destroy everything and fuck shit up, how do you call wasting natural resources and spilling toxins everywhere rational thought? I sure as hell dont.

I rather did like the post about pants, thats a more honest answer.

My opinion is indoor plumbing and finding nicer ways of crapping. Most animals just go wherever and drop it likes its hot. But humans have seen the need to make a fancy seat, even giving it a nickname of "porcelain throne", and finding methods to quickly remove said waste.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wushu Panda said:
Im sure most people are gonna say some bullshit like these guys
Nouw said:
Snip
It seems that I have offended you as obviously you have strong feelings about this topic. For that which, I apologize. I didn't mean to upset or annoy you in anyway or cause controversy. I thought my answer was open-ended but perhaps I should clarify. I am not sure. I have seen people tell me many different answers and I have never been able to pick out a correct one. Maybe you could seeing as you know a few things about this topic. I hope I did not give the wrong impression, I am not someone who holds animals as inferior. I am quite against that. I am willing to give your ideas a shot because I am always looking for more answers. Note when I say more, not correct. I don't want the right answer. I want what you think is right though and maybe it's closer towards the truth than my answer. Maybe.

So enlighten me. What are you thoughts? Are we no different from the average animal in terms of indoor plumbing and excretion? I hope you don't feel as conflicted any more, that is the last thing I want.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Hmm well, humans are much more destructive, (to nature, other animals and themselves) than any other animal.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
that we are sitting here...typing messagses to go on a forum...rather than out digging in the dirt for some bugs to eat

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Use of complex tools. I think that's one of the elements that they identify under homo sapien sapien. That and our unique DNA structure that separates our species from other species. If you'd you like to argue that we're all basically animals then I'll agree since animal is a fairly broad term and humans are kind of conceded anyways.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
The size of our egos. Really there are very few things we possess that at least one other animal doesn't. Apart from that creativity but I think that's it.