What do you want out of a Fantasy Setting?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Generally, I prefer avoidance of the standard Tolkien/D&D setup, with Humans as the standard base, and the generic elf/dwarf/halfling thrown on.

Prefer High Magic, though if high magics the thing, particularly in games, it needs to be evenly spread. If we're in a world where people can fly and teleport, why is anyone using horses, for instance.

If low magic is a thing, then technological stagnation needs severe explanation. The general logic of fantasy settings not progressing forward is that magic makes it redundant, so if magics rare, there needs to be other factors.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Marik2 said:
Saelune said:
I am honestly surprised by the sheer variety of everyone's preferences. It both makes me feel better and worse, since I cant make a world that will impress everyone, but thats why I shouldnt worry about it.
You should go on /tg/. They have tons of sources for DMs and you can set up a game online.
I dont know what that is.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Imre Csete said:
I would kill for an Arabian Nights themed fantasy Role Playing Game, but alas, Torchlight 2 Act II is the closest thing.
Didn't D&D do a couple of settings for that? Including at least one that not everyone hated?

Saelune said:
4chan, traditional games. Alternatively, might want to check out 1d4chan, less 4chan-y.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Saelune said:
Marik2 said:
Saelune said:
I am honestly surprised by the sheer variety of everyone's preferences. It both makes me feel better and worse, since I cant make a world that will impress everyone, but thats why I shouldnt worry about it.
You should go on /tg/. They have tons of sources for DMs and you can set up a game online.
That's what Google is for.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Marik2 said:
Saelune said:
Marik2 said:
Saelune said:
That's what Google is for.
You could have used this effort to just tell me instead of giving an unhelpful response.

Thaluikhain said:
Imre Csete said:
I would kill for an Arabian Nights themed fantasy Role Playing Game, but alas, Torchlight 2 Act II is the closest thing.
Didn't D&D do a couple of settings for that? Including at least one that not everyone hated?

Saelune said:
4chan, traditional games. Alternatively, might want to check out 1d4chan, less 4chan-y.
Thanks for telling me. I however, prefer to avoid 4chan entirely.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I'll assume you're talking about medieval fantasy, because "fantasy" as a genre covers everything from DnD to Star Wars.

Actual fucking creativity. It seems like that's lacking from everything fantasy-related these days; if it isn't Tolkien, it's George R. R. Martin (or, increasingly, both). For something that Dr. Google defines as "the faculty or activity of imagining impossible or improbable things", that's pretty limited.

Saelune said:
You're never going to please everyone. I mean I think the original Star Wars trilogy is a a collection of...well, two cinematic masterpieces as well as a fun but kinda forgettable time-wasting third movie. But I know some people would call it dated and overrated. Besides, things made with the specific intent of pleasing everyone are usually bland and awful.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I would like the story in the Souls games if it was told properly rather than being concealed in item descriptions and lengthy Wikia entries surmised from I don't know where.
I mean the lore is, sure, but the actual story is pretty much handed to you on a silver platter (except for Bloodborne). "The world is ending because some fire is going out, and you can either set yourself on fire to keep it going or let it fade like a the arsehole achievement junkie that you are." Or in the case of Demon's Souls: "Some dickheaded king thought it'd be a corking idea to unleash a bunch of Demons upon the land and you have to slay them before the Demon Fog engulfs the world."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Interesting other races. For whatever reason scifi races tend to be rather boring but you can have some really fun fantasy races to choose from. I mean just compare warhammer to 40k. In warhammer you have skaven, lizardmen, orks, ogres, dwarfs, 2 types of humans, 2 kinds of undead, and all the elves you can... elf too. In 40k you have 3 kinds of humans, orks again, space undead, spaces elves, tau (sorta 4th human if you ignore their mercenaries) and tyranid. (the interesting but rather bog standard alien monster race)

Out of all of those the most original are skaven and lizardmen. Lizardmen mainly for what they did with them instead of them existing, they have been random mobs in... actually I'm not sure if they were really much of random mobs in things before warhammer.

Apr 17, 2009
Exact specifics might differ depending on what mood I'm in, maybe I want a bit Dresden Files today, maybe I want a bit of Abhorsen Saga. But overall I want the world to make sense. I want the rules to be consistent. If you establish that magic works one way but all of a sudden it now suddenly works someway else, you've lost me