What do YOU want to be the next evolution in gaming?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
In a word... integration. No more multiple proprietary hardware setups making a nightmare out of software development. One agreed-upon standard across multiple manufacturers and a universal compatibility standard across multiple OSes. No such thing as a "gaming console", no such thing as a "PC" as we know them now... just a computer, most likely kept in a network closet and accessed by whatever input and output devices the user desires.

Want to play games on your couch with a thumbstick-laden controller? No problem. Want it at a desk with a monitor, keyboard and mouse? Also no problem. Force-feedback chair with integrated speakers, and multiple joystick, keyboard/mouse, steering wheel/pedals attachments? Also no problem. All on the same hardware, under the same OS.
I've been fed up with enforced brand loyalty for awhile now...

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
The resources required to develop AAA games are ridiculously expensive and its prices has to be cut down immensely. Why in the name of supernovas do development programs cost so much and why do we need an army of programmers, artists etcetera to make AAA game?

Whatever, that doesn't matter. Platforms and industries, currently dominated by the likes of Angry Birds and FarmVille, are sooner or later going to overtake the production of "real" games with much lower development costs. I'm looking forward to that.

Zhukov said:
Does "decent writing" count as evolution?
I kinda have to agree with this one. If you want to make a narrative-driven game, use writers who aren't specialized in movies, books, plays or any other medium that isn't games. Those kinds of writers are mostly unaware that you can drive the narrative through aesthetics and gameplay rather than texts and dialogues.

You also have to make sure to write the manuscript before developing the game itself. Not doing this is probably the main reason why most video game narratives sucks and sometimes even whirl down to unfortunate realms of racism/sexism/homophobia. :(

Following these two advices would also make the game, thematically speaking, more consistent.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Esotera said:
Better developer tools, that allow pretty much anyone to write their own game, at around the same level of graphics as AAA games had 10 years ago. That would bring out some phenomenal stuff.

We're sort of getting there with programs like GameMaker & intuitive libraries such as PyGame, which are easy to pick up, but there's a lot more potential there. If companies like Rockstar can make an engine & base various games in different settings/styles from it using mainly scripts/artwork, then I see no reason that something similar (but slightly easier to use) can't be extended to the general public.
This pretty much.

Improved technology on PCs and gaming machines doesn't just affect the possibilities of the next AAA titles, it also increases the possibilities with more developer friendly codes like PyGame. You don't need to be an expert programmer to make a game anymore, you just need a few good ideas. It's very reasonable to expect to see more powerful game maker type programs coming out in the future.

Hopefully the next big evolution is in a massive surge in the interest of Indie games, which is sort of happening already. The big budget games market is getting too monopolised and there's too much emphasis on looking the part rather than having a good game idea. The Indie market should add some much needed competition, and improve tho whole games market as a result.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Zhukov said:
Does "decent writing" count as evolution?
Also, it would be awesome if AAA games met the Dwarf Fortresses and Nethacks of the world halfway in terms of complexity and design philosophy. IMO, complex options + internally consistent rules > scripted events in terms of game design.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
this, anyone who disagrees clearly has never been THAT drunk before http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/29/play-pee-urinal-games-console-patent

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Complexity. I want every game to be as complex (or more) than Dwarf Fortress.

(Even I can't tell if I'm trolling or not.)

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Uh...Can I say two things? What I want the next one to be, and what I want the ultimate goal to be?

For the next big thing, I'd want a big boom in motion control sword fighting games.

For the ultimate goal, online MMORPGs that you can actually enter while sleeping or something, everything looks, feels, sounds, and tastes real. (I guess there could be a pain setting. Lowest being a slight tingle for all pain, highest has you feeling exactly what's happening.)

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
MammothBlade said:
True Artificial Intelligence in gaming.
That does sound good on paper, but the difficulty in games would probably skyrocket to the point of becoming near impossible.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Esotera said:
Better developer tools, that allow pretty much anyone to write their own game, at around the same level of graphics as AAA games had 10 years ago. That would bring out some phenomenal stuff.

We're sort of getting there with programs like GameMaker & intuitive libraries such as PyGame, which are easy to pick up, but there's a lot more potential there. If companies like Rockstar can make an engine & base various games in different settings/styles from it using mainly scripts/artwork, then I see no reason that something similar (but slightly easier to use) can't be extended to the general public.
UDK and Unity. Go check them out.

OT: Virtual reality. I know its probably not going to happen any time soon but, dammit, this is what I want to be the next evolution not what I think will be the next evolution and I want my super awesome virtual games... and my flying cars!

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
CyanideSandwich said:
I'd like to see a game involving Kratos free-running across Venetian rooftops with a Portal gun and slaying dragons by shouting, and to include a co-op mode where player 2 is Batman.

But that's just me.
Not just one game.
Hell, not even just games.
EVERYTHING needs that.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
SpaceBat said:
MammothBlade said:
True Artificial Intelligence in gaming.
That does sound good on paper, but the difficulty in games would probably skyrocket to the point of becoming near impossible.
I'm not talking chess supercomputers which plan ten moves ahead of you, but intelligent behaviour. Intelligence which can be fooled, but which is not stupid. AI behaviour could be a lot more logical, and follow more human patterns. For example, instead of relying on high HP and high damage to be a threat, bosses could feature smarter AI and tactics which challenge the player's abilities.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Keava said:
To be perfectly honest? Nothing. I'd prefer the studios to focus on improving with what tools They have rather then trying to push another gimmick forward. The motion controls alone still need whole lot of work, and games themselves, even without all the additional bells and whistles are far from perfect.

Less shovelware to promote gimmicky addition, more quality games.
Pretty much this; gaming is a sophisticated, yet woefully underdeveloped form of media which suffers because publishers, developers and hardware manufacturers keep trying to push into new technologies and ridiculously advanced hardware rather familiarise with what they have and try to maximise its potential.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
UDK and Unity. Go check them out.

OT: Virtual reality. I know its probably not going to happen any time soon but, dammit, this is what I want to be the next evolution not what I think will be the next evolution and I want my super awesome virtual games... and my flying cars!
Very nice...I think I'm going to give UDK a spin. Do you have any experience with either of them?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I'm torn between hardware support for procedural generation (== more, less-samey content and easier development workflows) and open platforms. (== fewer hurdles to jump for new/small developers, more innovation, etc., etc.)

What I expect to be the next evolution in gaming? Tessellation, per-surface reflection, and a whole host of little graphical flourishes which have been part and parcel on PC for years now. 'Cause nothing sells a console like "Look at the pretties!"

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
heard of Square Enix's Luminous Engine

looks like this

It's basically photorealistic rendering in games

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
hashtag said:
A blowjob powered console. I would buy that on launch day.
What so you would power it by sucking on it's electronic wang?...Umm no, no i don't think i'd be buying that...ever. However the day they invent a console that will give me a blowjob then i'd be all over that shit.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
The return of bots into games with couch multiplayer. Can't say how annoying it is that the few games that do have multiplayer you can play on couch lack bots. I remember perfect dark for n64 as one of funnest games of childhood. An that was because of wacky and crazy bots in it that one could set up to play against with family and friends. With online multiplayer bots seem to have died out greatly and really deserve to return as they are more fun than playing online against real people.