"What do you want to do when you leave school?" and people's reactions to my answer.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Being just shy of 16, this question crops up a lot from other teenagers, comparing notes on future plans, and adults, curious to see the direction I want to go.

However, when I answer this question truthfully, people react in a variety of odd ways. I plan on applying to Officer Selection for the Sandhurst Military Academy, as I want to join the Royal Regiment of Scotland, 3rd Battalion (my local chunk of the Infantry). Upon hearing this, despite knowing my character (while nerd-like, if I didn't play computer games I'd be about as stereotypical as British officers get in Scotland), people are invariably shocked, or at least surprised.

My friends tend to laugh it off a bit, my teachers seem too polite to say, "No, you're stupid, go write books." and other people in my age group either condemn me as some kind of murdering murderer, suicidal, or just wrong somewhere because I have no interest in studying a pointless degree at a university, before going into a depressing office job.

Why on Earth does this happen? Do people just hate the army now? Or do I look and sound different from how I thought I looked and sounded for the past 16 years?

I can sort of get behind the idea that I look kinda lanky, and my friends know I'm lazy, but in the cases for people who literally have no way of gauging whether or not I could successfully command men on a battlefield, or perform duty under extreme pressure, they still seem to think that either I'm wrong somewhere in the brain, or I'm just trying to sound heroic and impressive.

Any other hopeful recruits find this? Is it just a UK thing? The war has little support here, I know, but I'm unsure of things in places like the US.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I don't know, where I am from i've seen people use the military as a last ditch resort, say if there grades were to low to get into college or something like that. Some people view it as a proud tradition in there family, and some people as they like to say it, "Want to kill towel heads" makes me gag really.

Though the common soldier I support full heartedly its not a choice I would make but whatever you want to do is up to you.

white_salad

Aug 24, 2008
It's seen as a last resort generally. If you can't get into college or any work. People don't realize that some people simply feel the need to serve. I respect people that go. They got balls.

photog212

Oct 27, 2008
Octorok said:
The military is often viewed as a last option for people who are to stupid for higher education. However, officer school is really tough. I'm not sure about in the UK but the US academies are pretty rigorous. State University ain't shit compared with Officer School.

On a personal note: I don't agree with what the military is doing, but I support you/people like you. Being an officer is the way to go. Best of luck, stay safe, don't be afraid to talk.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
mikozero said:
i imagine the "you do realise people will be trying to kill you every day you are at work ?" thing probably has something to do with it.
This isn't strictly speaking true. Depending on your regiment's deployment, you'll probably spend most of your time doing slightly mundane things, only getting patrol skirmishes and the occasional battle when they decide to head for the big strongholds like Musa-Qala.

EDIT : People are saying that there's the idea that idiots join the army. But people who know me react this way, and any one of the people in my school will tell you that if I wanted, I could choose practically any academic career. Medical school, law school, finance etc... they all make my brain go sadface. I'd be significantly happier in a familiar atmosphere, doing something I believe in, like military service.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well I understand where they're coming from, but they should still respect it. I hear it's the 'noble' thing to do.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
Yea I plan on joining the military after high school as well. I have only told my dad and a few friends. I don't really want deal with more of the monotony of a normal education. I'm unsure as to whether I can make it through normal collage or an Officer Academy and don't think I want to be an officer. Maybe I can channel my murderous thoughts into something productive?

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
I used to get a bit of that when I wanted to join the army, but people eventually got over it and accepted it. Mind you, I never did tell my parents, so I have no idea what their reaction would be. Judging from the fact that whenever we bring up my brother (an officer in the airforce) being in the military, they say something along the lines of 'one's enough' and from several comments made by my dad, they wouldn't exactly like the idea.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Coming from someone who intends to go to Sandhurst himself i think your making a great decision and those who know you should be supportive of you, not chastise you.

Horizontalvertigo

Apr 2, 2008
hahaha, try going from a high quality private highschool education into tattooing, people just don't get it. That and I'm a severe haemophiliac which might have something to do with some of the incredulousness too.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Nouw said:
Well I understand where they're coming from, but they should still respect it. I hear it's the 'noble' thing to do.
Oh? Care to expand on where they're coming from?

It's not that I really resent them being opposed to it, I want to hear their opinions, but I am curious as to the reasons why I am so strange for choosing military service over further civilian careers. People don't need to respect my choice so much as to explain why they disagree with me (someone who, to be honest, would probably lose a regular job in the City after about two weeks) going for my interests and strengths.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Horizontalvertigo said:
hahaha, try going from a high quality private highschool education into tattooing, people just don't get it. That and I'm a severe haemophiliac which might have something to do with some of the incredulousness too.
That's another thing, my parents feel a little like I've "copped out". My siblings all went on to prestigious academic universities, and they spent all that money on me going to a high-quality private school, only for me to opt out of academic success and choose something they are vehemently opposed to.

Feb 19, 2010
to be honest i plan to join a UN army regiment in Ukraine who plan to make expeditions to Africa to deliver water supplies etc, im almost 16 myself, and I'm a pretty good driver, so ill be driving a truck through africa handing out free water and food, i may sound crazy, but look at it this way, i get to drive through the desert in a massive lorry,
just as i wanted to be a paris dakar driver for kamaz master when i was 4

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I don't like the idea of following other person's orders, especially when that involves killing people who are following the orders of other persons, and I'm - quite frankly - unsettled by the thought that there are people who do that to "serve their country." I don't think I'd ever willingly enlist.

It's all fun and games until you've got blood on your hands and you don't really know why. How do you think the guards at Abu Ghraib ended up at Abu Ghraib? It's far easier to do bad things when you're in uniform and your CO's barking the orders.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Octorok said:
Horizontalvertigo said:
That's another thing, my parents feel a little like I've "copped out". My siblings all went on to prestigious academic universities, and they spent all that money on me going to a high-quality private school, only for me to opt out of academic success and choose something they are vehemently opposed to.
Well for 1 thing there are no current wars (well ones that desparately need soldiers anyway) and being a soldier is almost guaranteed to get you killed or seriously injured. It's seen as a job for the 'lesser' of society I guess.

This is the perspective of people on wars and the army by the way, not mine.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Maybe people expected more from you? There isn't anything wrong with what you want, but others don't see it like that. They probably imagine that you'll end up just a grunt and die in a pointless battle or something along those lines, and that makes your idea seem foolish in their eyes.