What does it take to kill a death claw?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Level up, large caliber sniper, drop them from a distance.

Place a few proximity/bottlecap mines between you and them, shoot them and watch them run at you until they go boom.

Get Oh Baby! and level up your melee with the perk that knocks people down and penetrates blocks.

Level up unarmed and get some of the gloves that cause crippling effects like lost strength or paralysis.

FAT MAN! ALIEN BLASTER! GAUSS RIFLE!

The trick is to level up a particular attack skill and then find a good quality weapon that matches it. They're actually not that tough once you are skilled up and carrying something stronger than a varmint rifle.

If you are heading down to the bottom of the quarry, I personally am a fan of Euclid's C-Finder for one particular Deathclaw (you will recognize it when you see it). Not because you really have to do it that way but because it is really awesome when it works. Orbital strikes FTW! I also like using the C-Finder on single, lonely, already nearly dead bloatflies just trying to escape me. You might not need it for the flies. ;)

trigz04

Mar 18, 2011
make a dart gun, they will be crippled in all extremities then laugh as you can back up faster than they can run

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I somehow beat one using its own hand (Deathclaw Gauntlet).

It was not a very healthy experience. (And my strength and endurance were both at level ten, to boot!)

Kais86

May 21, 2008
You can gather a ton of bottlecap mines, and make an entire field of them. I would also highly suggest you shoot it while it's running through this field, preferably with one of the guns I mentioned earlier.

darkorion69

Aug 15, 2008
Deathclaws are Fixed Level Creature. You need a weapon with over 15 Damage. They have 200 HP and a Melee Attack Power of 125 as well, so you will need to engage them from long range. At lowest levels, I recommend Long Range Grenades or setting up a Minefield and Sniping one at a time as they cross it.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Best way I've found to kill a deathclaw (I used this to kill the Legendary Deathclaw):

1. Level up your Guns skill
2. Acquire Hunting Shotgun
3. (Optional) Purchase every upgrade for said Hunting Shotgun
4. Load said Hunting Shotgun with slug rounds
5. Find Deathclaw
6. Go into VATS
7. Aim at head
8. Fire

I used this method to clear out the Deathclaw valley place and the Legendar Deathclaw (although the latter also required some mines).

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Quarry Junction Deathclaws are actually much tougher than your bog standard Deathclaw. Return at like...Level 15 when you have a halfway decent gun. That,or,go to Nellis,get Thump-Thump,get a bunch of 40mm grenades,blow the legs out from under the Deathclaw,then run backwards and plink away at it with impunity,since Deathclaws are laughably easy without their legs.

That,or go to Jacobstown,go to the nearby caves,find Oh,Baby!,then enjoy slaughtering Deathclaws in two swings.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
I've never played New Vegas, (just Fallout 3), but I'm pretty sure that a Deathclaw is a Deathclaw.

Level up, like, a lot. Then get many guns, and some decent armor. Then shoot the Deathclaw. Repeatedly.

Basically, the only way to kill the scariest thing in the Wasteland is to be even scarier.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
First drop a mine to fuck up their legs and slow them down. After which fill them with as much metal as you can.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Dr Snakeman said:
I've never played New Vegas, (just Fallout 3), but I'm pretty sure that a Deathclaw is a Deathclaw.

Level up, like, a lot. Then get many guns, and some decent armor. Then shoot the Deathclaw. Repeatedly.

Basically, the only way to kill the scariest thing in the Wasteland is to be even scarier.
They can be much harder in NV, depending on your weaponry because of how the new armour system works.
Fallout 3 uses DR whereas NV uses DT.
DR reduces damage by a percentage.
DT reduces damage by a specific amount.
Deathclaws have a LOT of DT.
So where rapid fire weapons and shotguns did well against deathclaws in F3, they are completely useless in NV.

ErythorbicAcid

Apr 17, 2009
Wait about 10 levels, get to around 12 and you should be able to woop up on 'em pretty well. Or you can get the Dynamic Battle and Realistic Dismemberment mod, that makes things MUCH easier.

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
I killed a deathclaw at around level 10 by making a big pile of mines grenades and dynamite and luring one into it.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
pablogonzalez said:
I was mere lad of level 2. walked into sloan just skipped the conversation with the guy ( didn't want to hear it) walked down to the mine turned around some massive werewolf like bat creature is running up to me. I fired my only grenade at it, then took my laser rifle a 4-5 shots on V.A.T.S then when it got into range i used my cowboy repeater but it was less use then the laser rifle. It reached me and took one swipe knocking out 4 fifths of m health, then took another knocking my head off.

And that was my first encounter with a Death Claw. havent gone back to sloan since.... I want to go back to explore it Escapist. How do i go about it?
Well one thing's for certain, you won't be able to fight it off with THOSE weapons. You need page 153 of my unofficial Strategy Guide for Fallout: New Vegas, entitled: "HOW TO SEDUCE A DEATHCLAW".

Here's what you will need:

- One bunch of wild peonies
- Candles, mood music, wine, maybe massage oil if you're feeling "adventurous".
- A table-shaped rock to set it up
- Several kittens
- One brahmin skull (preferably without attached brahmin).

1) The first thing to do - and this is VERY important - is to detatch the horns from the brahmin skull, and attach them to your own forehead. If you've ever observed a Mama Deathclaw at close quarters, you will notice that she has easily the largest, most protruding set of horns in the game***. Your average randy young male deathclaw digs those horns!

2) Now that you've successfully disguised yourself as a female deathclaw, your next task is to attract a mate. Close observations of deathclaws in their natural habitat has taught me that the female's usual method of doing so is to stare her prospective partner in the face, hunch her back, drop her head down, and drool on the floor. This is a typical gesture of female submission in the animal kingdom, common in many species of birds.

3) Before beginning the process of physical intimacy, it is very important to make sure that your prospective partner does not try and eat your head, or any other parts, during the mating process. This can be achieved by making sure that he is well-fed. But BEWARE! Male deathclaws are hunter-gatherers, and a male who is just offered food may believe that it was procured by a previous sexual partner of yours. The last thing you want to be facing is an annoyed, horny monstrosity that believes it's being offered someone else's "sloppy seconds".

Deathclaws typically feed on two things: human flesh and live kittens. Since you can't spare any of the former, you will need to procure enough of the latter so that the male deathclaw believes that he's stumbled upon a cat's nest within his territory. Let the male of the species obtain, by hunting and killing, the food that you yourself were able to obtain by simple bribery or guile; thereby increasing the male's ego, and making him more adventurous in his courtship. This simple deception is typical of females across many species.

Also, if the deathclaw should happen to swallow the kittens whole, vomit up their pre-digested remains and offer them to you, accept gracefully. This is the male deathclaw's way of saying "I love you" and is an integral part of successful courtship.

4) Once your prospective partner is well-fed and reasonably complient, it is time to get down to the serious business of seduction. Scented candles, long drawn-out stares into the creature's eyes, and Barry White compilation albums are all recommended tools to help set the mood. You may also want to massage your deathclaw, but be careful: if he is tempted to reciprocate, you may be accidentally torn to shreds.

5) Make sure to drink plenty of wine. You'll be glad of it when the lovemaking starts, although the next-day "walk of shame" will be all the more humiliating. You should also swap phone numbers with your deathclaw; it is considered the height of poor taste to leave after a one-night stand without giving him any way to arrange a second date.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself! If you have some success with this guide, you may want to watch out for part two: "SPEED-DATING WITH CAZADORS".

***Considering the size of her claws, this is something of a mystery to me. What does she need the horns for? Then again, the eggs are carried by MALE deathclaws, so maybe focussing on the horns misses the larger inconsistencies in this species' mating patterns.