What does it take to scare you?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I've finished both the Dead Space games, and although they were scary, it kind of wore off towards the end of the games, and I can now replay then with ease. I have played a fair bit of Condemned 2, but to be honest I found that more boring than scary.

Fear 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are the two scariest games I have ever played. I have not, and cannot complete either of them. Both of them are too damn scary! Amnesia definitely wins the scariest game award from me though, since I got it October 2010, I have suffered only 112 minutes of it!

Despite all this I do plan to get machine for pigs early 2013, and try my best to get through it...

As for films, I never really watch many scary films, besides the Alien films I can't think of many others.

I also recently reduced my fear of heights from a trip to Blackpool pleasure beach from "scared" to "uncomfortable", and now I can't stop thinking about rollercoasters! :D

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I used to be scared of Resident Evil and Silent Hill, but now I want something that is more psychologically creepy.
By this I mean, something that makes me wonder if I have lost my mind, or something that makes me wonder if the devs had lost their mind.
Monster and zombies are cool, but in the end, it is the human sanity or lack of it that creeps me out.

Does any one have any suggestions?
I think Earthbound was quite close to this.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
What does it take to scare me?

Well. Nothing. I mean, literally "nothing". Because nothing is scarier. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier] Really, disfigured monsters don't scare me, they disgust me. Cat scares don't scare me as much they startle me. Not even giant sand worms scare me as much as they trigger an irrational phobia - and I don't count that as being "scared".

But...the creeping paranoia that just keeps creeping...and creeping...and creeping...that's scary shit.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
It will typically only happen in a Bethesda game.

Anything that uses the base model of the Ghoul. It could be one of the many ghoul flavors in Fallout 3/New Vegas or a Falmer and its many different types in Skyrim. They all have a tendency to just pop out of nowhere, causing me to jump, and then retaliate my slice out their spine through their stomach. But the moment I hear their throaty howl in the dark or when I'm alone in game, which is all the time, I will fly into a panicked rage slaughtering anything foolish enough to move.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Anything that could have even a slight chance of scaring anybody will absolutely terrify me. I am the most easily scared person I know.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Something coming/ sneaking after you that you know you can't stop it just keeps on coming. D:

I mean 'something' too. There is nothing worse than your own imagination.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Jumps scares tend to get me freaked out easily. After a while, however, I tend to get over it. For a more lasting appeal, games that immerse me into the gameplay, tend to make it more nerve racking and scary as f*** to play, like that new game Slender.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
No game has yet to scare me, so i can't really say what would scare me in a game :p however in real life i have no Phobia's, the only thing that is close is Big Dogs, but even then a few my friends/relatives own big dogs and i am fine around them (for those who want to know i got bit by a dog on my arse as a kid, not like big dogs ever since, but i suppose thats just dogs i don't know)

What does scare me to death though is my mum coming into my room while i am playing a game. Turtle beaches on, game blasting, don't hear her come in, notice something in my eye, turn around and see her, as if she had just popped out of nowhere!

MyFooThurTS

Jul 28, 2010
Nothing, really. I don't mean that in a sort of 'No fear! Fight the Corpocracy!'-sense, but more in that I just get too apathetic. The only thing I'm really afraid of is something I do several times every day, and that's wasting my life, or doing anything that is second in importance to what I should actually be doing. I know I'll always be like this, though, so I guess I'm afraid I'll never improve enough, and that my skills will be meaningless because I didn't have the passion to make anything of them. Oh, video game mechanics... When shit jumps out at me.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I'm pretty cowardly in general, Amnesia never 'scared' me though. It made me jump, which is completely different from being scared.

Most psychological horror can get to me though.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
What scares me?
A spider.

It doesn't matter how small, harmless or far away it is.
If there's a spider I'm scared shitless. Amnesia, Silent Hill, The Exorcist. They're scary yes, but nowhere near as horrifying as a spider.

felbot

May 11, 2011
well take away any self defense i may have had and almost anything bigger than me would scare me in some ways, exactly why i was afraid of amnesia, i cant fight the monster, it angers and scares me that theres stuff out there that i cant beat with my fists.

hell the monster isn't even that scary if you look at it long enough, its actually quite silly looking.

Seriphina

Apr 24, 2010
Unpredictability.
I think that is where Amnesia got it right because you never knew when the boogies were coming for you but you KNEW they were coming so there was suspense as well! Especially in Justine! OMG that game, I gave up thru rage quit.

I think about ao oni sometimes as being quite scary and it's only because you know something is going to come for you at some point but never the exact moment.

Resident Evil when the dog jumps thru the window is one of the scariest moments in gaming - the first time round. You see a clear hallway and are lulled into a false sense of security then BAM dog in your face! But once you know what is coming the fear is gone, there is no suspense and it's predictable.

Also lack of a weapon is scary! :)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
When it's dark and I'm alone...

I tend to shit myself.

That's why I turn the lights off when I'm on the toilet and constipated! =D

namhorFnodroG

Nov 2, 2011
I'm not really scared of any specific thing, I'm not scared of Spiders or snakes, I'm not scared of height, or darkness or anything simular. The only times I actually get scared, is when the atmosphere is right. Incase I'm scary movie in the middle of the day, and it's light outside, so do i barely get scared at all. But incase It's night, and I'm all alone, i can make me panic. That's one reason why Amneisia have made me almost shit myself because I got so scared. :S

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
The dark depths of the sea because of these creepy buggers

I feel the need to see a priest everytime i see these even when though i'm not christian.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Large body of murky/dark water...you know there's going to be something in there, something LARGE, but you can't see it, and surprise surprise there's no other way but across in a tiny boat.

It'll be coming now...

...maybe now...

...maybe now...

...oh, nearly at the other side, maybe I'm oOOOH JESUS FUCK WHAT IS THAT?!
(I remember the lake in Resident Evil 4 playing out something like that)

Timing is everything; the jump scare itself isn't inherently terrifying, it's waiting for the next one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much jump scared, scary/ tense music scenes and a thing making a unrecognise/ inhuman sound that is echoing around you and you can't see it until it surpise you (I'm looking at you Regenerator from Resi 4)!