What does our generation fear?

Woem

May 28, 2009
I believe the fear of our generation (which really depends on how old you are of course) is economic uncertainty: not knowing if you'll have a new job in 5 years or still have your current one, not knowing if you'll be able to afford a house or support your family, ... And for the countries that provide a social support system for the elders it means that there's a decrease of people working for an ever increasing population of elders, so taking care of their retirement is going to be an issue in the not-so-distant future. Not even thinking about what the social support system will look like when our generation reaches 60+.

Hot'n'steamy

May 14, 2009
tbh, I read an article that states that one of the largest fears of the current generation is social intimacy. If I can find it i'll post it up.

Pellucid

Mar 29, 2009
People today are terrified that one day, someone will hold them responsible for the actions that they have taken and they will have no excuse for their own failures.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Doing work.
Huzzah. This.

I was going to say thinking of others (or not thinking you're the center of the universe) as the OP said "our generation" without specifying his/her age or the generation to which they were referring to obviously not thinking of the fact that more than a handful of generations are on here.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
Lonan said:
Wars as a result of global warming. Look at this link:
http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/climate-wars/index.html
global warming is bull shit. they measured the ice caps. they are the exact same thickness as the were 10 years ago. nothings changed.
I'm sure they are, the glaciers don't lose thickness, they melt a bit on the surface, make huge lake on the glacier, (miles long) which then disapear in a matter of hours. The water goes beneath the glacier and lubricates the bottom, which speeds up the glacier moving towards the ocean, That Greenland. As for "the ice caps" there are surely millions of ice caps around the world and "they" must have had a lot of money if they measured them all. And anyway, the glacier doesn't lose thickness until later, it just breaks off from the side. As for global warming being bullshit, which I am assuming means you don't think it is even happening, the single piece of evidence that is glacier thickness hardly stands against the massive evidence for global warming. Not only that, carbon dioxide warms up the the atmosphere a bit, which increases the amount of water vapour a bit, which decreases the amount of ice in the Arctic a bit, which makes it a bit colder in the Arctic, which makes the cold currents travelling south warmer, which makes the warm currents travelling north warmer, which then helps melt the ice more, and make the cold currents travelling south even warmer. And it won't end until all that excess CO2 is gone. Of course, thsere will be apoint where so many climatic systems are tumbling towards a warmer world that it becomes impossible to to reverse it. That time is sooner than what was believed just a few years ago.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Teenagers, animal flu, terrorism, any country with nukes other than the one they live in, global warming, anything that isn't "the norm"...and many other things instill fear in the general populus.

Chaffinch

Jan 30, 2009
Everything, we need to fear something so that our focus is taken away from the huge fuck ups of the government.
when bird flu died down suddenly terrorists were at an all time high. They've started to fade away into the past OMG SWINE FLU!!!! FEAR ITTTT!

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Bulletinmybrain said:
This is generation kill buddy, where children are being desensitized to violence as early as possible.
Awesome book. I agree, we're being desensitized early on. For what purpose? In the future, when the armies of the world unveil their Master Chief-style armor, everyone will enlist!

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
Hey Joe said:
Talking to people and using the telephone.
Im goona have to go with this guy. We have become to disassociated to actully fear terrorsim. We have other things to worry about, like were Hey Joe got those great shoes...

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Disaster Button said:
Being trapped in a dark house with flcikerly lights as your stupid, yet attractive, friends are picked off by some kind of masked serial killer? hmm...
that was 20 years ago.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
soilent said:
Disaster Button said:
Being trapped in a dark house with flcikerly lights as your stupid, yet attractive, friends are picked off by some kind of masked serial killer? hmm...
that was 20 years ago.
That post was also like 20 years ago but I actually just made it as a reference to Horror Films.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Boredom.

Jup, think about it. Our society constantly overloads itself with input, for some reason thinks it has to stay busy all the time. There is no time or appreciation anymore for just doing nothing, for clearing your mind. Time spent doing nothing is seen as wasted time, and that's a real frakking shame.

Also, what's with all the advertising bots?