What does steam punk mean?

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used?usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain?that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Just for future reference, Wikipedia and Google are your friends. However, it seems like your question was answered perfectly in the first post.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
It means go play Thief 2: The Metal Age. What are you still here for? Go now!

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
To cut it down to steriotypes; wear victorian clothes, travel by airship or train, sweet hats are in, everybody wears goggles and carry some cool tech with you, like a steam powered rifle or steam powered wings.

Cutting away from that a little, I've always wanted to make up a steampunk archaeologist, just to see how it'd turn out.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
ultrachicken said:
Just for future reference, Wikipedia and Google are your friends. However, it seems like your question was answered perfectly in the first post.
Yeah what the second post said.

Also, Is that the Winged Dragon of Ra? God I remember that from back in the day...

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Aphex Demon said:
ultrachicken said:

Also, Is that the Winged Dragon of Ra? God I remember that from back in the day...
Yes, it is. My favorite card, and it fits my name.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
Palademon said:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s. Specifically, steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used?usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain?that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. This technology may include such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne or real technologies like the computer but developed earlier in an alternate history.

Perfect explanation. Short form: Victorian-era, but with steam-driven technology like automobiles, flying machines, and robots.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
ultrachicken said:
Aphex Demon said:
ultrachicken said:

Yes, it is. My favorite card, and it fits my name.
Lololol yeah xD

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
CODE-D said:
Bioshock, there.
No. Wrong era. Maybe diesel-punk or Deco-punk, but definitely not steam-punk.

Anyway the wikipedia page has all the information the OP needed.

MatsJn

Battlefield control, terminated.
Nov 30, 2009
I'd say Bioshock is a prime example of Neo-Victorian:

Neo-Victorian is an aesthetic movement which amalgamates Victorian and Edwardian aesthetic sensibilities with modern principles and technologies.

Examples of crafts made in this style would include push-button cordless telephones made to look like antique wall-mounted phones, CD players resembling old time radios, Victorianesque furniture, and Victorian era-style clothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Victorian

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Palademon said:

FLAWLESS VICTORY