What Does the Future Look Like for White Wolf?

Apr 5, 2008
I was excited by this news since I genuinely believe it can only be a good thing for WW. CCP owning it made no sense and was a terrible fit. I must be honest...I'm not a PnPer nor do I dress up as a vampire, I like VTM because of Bloodlines, the Troika game. That is what I'd like to see more of. Since Paradox do make video games, I sincerely hope that they'll use the games prowess and new WW IPs to give us some VTM and Werewolf video games in a similar vein (boom tische) to Bloodlines.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
DeimosMasque said:
Actually if I recall correctly Scion is owned by Onyx Path Publishing, the current licensee of the Original and New World of Darkness material. They operated independently from White Wolf.
Good call. I forgot that Onyx Path split off to dodge the debts of White Wolf, and that some products were transferred wholesale while others were just licenses. Any idea what Paradox actually bought, besides WoD? Most of the stuff I find says that they purchased 'White Wolf and all properties' and that they'll be 'evaluating licenses' but there's no clear breakdown of what specifically that covers.
Actually Onxy Path was created due to CCP basically ending the PnP RPG publishing and the writers and developers raising money to start their own "On Demand" book publisher and paying for the licensing and flat out buying the Exalted and Scion IPs.

Paradox has the rights to both the Classic and New WOD IPs but as of right now they are licensed out to OPP.

They might also have the full rights to the LARP versions. I can't recall if those non OPP licenses are still active.

KingsGambit said:
I was excited by this news since I genuinely believe it can only be a good thing for WW. CCP owning it made no sense and was a terrible fit. I must be honest...I'm not a PnPer nor do I dress up as a vampire, I like VTM because of Bloodlines, the Troika game. That is what I'd like to see more of. Since Paradox do make video games, I sincerely hope that they'll use the games prowess and new WW IPs to give us some VTM and Werewolf video games in a similar vein (boom tische) to Bloodlines.
WOD video games can make a lot of sense and can be done well. But excitement because you don't care about the IP past that is short sighted. The World of Darkness (even the new version was the #2 of PnP RPGs) needs to exist as a PnP RPG if only to give more material for the video games Paradox will publish.

It's the same reason Warner Bros doesn't just stop publishing the DC books. The comics justify the products.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kajin said:
008Zulu said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
For Paradox, this is an investment where we want to see our money come back

Wolf intends to license the IP into as many channels as possible
My keen Gamer Senses tells me that we will see a slew of poorly made, microtransaction-fueled mobile games.
I think your "keen Gamer Senses" are in need of a trip to a blacksmith for resharpening and general maintenance. Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.
if by pretty solding you mean turning all their games into DLC machines and selling mods, then yes. Dont get me wrong, i love Paradox games but during the last few years they really shat all over their community.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
lastcigarette said:
So the meta-plot is coming back?
That's my hang up too. I am sure some will rejoice at the idea of NWoD going the way of OWoD and getting a metaplot, but one of the major reasons (besides making a much better rules set) White Wolf put forward for making NWoD and ditching OWoD was that the meta plot became way too unwieldy and stifled player and storyteller creativity while being too confusing to follow for anyone but the most hardcore of fans.

I am hoping that they still remember that lesson at WW and will try to keep the meta plot in the background and as simple as possible. God knows we don't need another meta plot that takes all the agency away from the players so they can watch as the real cool kids showdown in narration by the storyteller.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Strazdas said:
Kajin said:
008Zulu said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
For Paradox, this is an investment where we want to see our money come back

Wolf intends to license the IP into as many channels as possible
My keen Gamer Senses tells me that we will see a slew of poorly made, microtransaction-fueled mobile games.
I think your "keen Gamer Senses" are in need of a trip to a blacksmith for resharpening and general maintenance. Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.
if by pretty solding you mean turning all their games into DLC machines and selling mods, then yes. Dont get me wrong, i love Paradox games but during the last few years they really shat all over their community.
I sunk fifty hours into EU4 before I even realized it had DLC at all. So yeah, DLC or not they make solid games. Even then, most of the DLC I'm seeing is either inconsequential stuff that can be ignored or expansion packs that actually add enough content to be worth the price. Just like the days of old, really.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Gethsemani said:
lastcigarette said:
So the meta-plot is coming back?
That's my hang up too. I am sure some will rejoice at the idea of NWoD going the way of OWoD and getting a metaplot, but one of the major reasons (besides making a much better rules set) White Wolf put forward for making NWoD and ditching OWoD was that the meta plot became way too unwieldy and stifled player and storyteller creativity while being too confusing to follow for anyone but the most hardcore of fans.

I am hoping that they still remember that lesson at WW and will try to keep the meta plot in the background and as simple as possible. God knows we don't need another meta plot that takes all the agency away from the players so they can watch as the real cool kids showdown in narration by the storyteller.
If Onxy Path gets to keep the licensing for both WOD IPs then it's both.

Classic World of Darkness continues with a post Gehenna plot (as OPP anouncex VtM 4th GenCon)

New World of Darkness continues with a few setting updates but no metaplot

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
And so the ancient wakes from torpor with a creak like a quake

I have no experience with Paradox so this will surprise me twice

Pessimist captcha: knock off

Apr 5, 2008
DeimosMasque said:
KingsGambit said:
WOD video games can make a lot of sense and can be done well. But excitement because you don't care about the IP past that is short sighted. The World of Darkness (even the new version was the #2 of PnP RPGs) needs to exist as a PnP RPG if only to give more material for the video games Paradox will publish.

It's the same reason Warner Bros doesn't just stop publishing the DC books. The comics justify the products.
I never implied that the existence of the PnP game was in question. On the contrary, there is no question. I fully understand the importance of the PnP game to PnPers and as source material for a rich, lore filled game. I just have no interest in it. I think I own some older source books from a humble bundle type affair, but I don't buy PnP RPG books. My interest in VTM came from Bloodlines and there are many fans like me who thoroughly enjoyed Troika's "flawed gem" of a game, not just in spite of its issues but for the lore filled, interesting world, the politicking clans, the cool powers and modern day vampire setting.

I spent a lot of time reading up on the wiki about WW's world, about the Werewolves (which, to be honest, I love more than any of the other supernatural types by a *long* way), vampires, clans, Cain, Enoch, antediluvians, etc. It's great stuff, lots of rich and interesting lore that's just ripe for games of all kinds, allowing for a myriad of fantastic and fantastical stories. But I am personally *sad* that this great world and lore is unavailable to *me* as a gamer. Bloodlines was great, I couldn't really get into The Requiem tho I liked the idea of the different time periods. And that's all I have. Fini. When CCP bought it and were hellbent on an MMO, I was very sad. Firstly because I won't play a CCP game following what happened when I played Eve (a long story) and second, because I didn't want it just in MMO form, where I have to put up with other players, pay a sub and grind for weeks/months.

I like SP games, RPGs and Action RPGs mostly. VTMB was a great, if flawed game but introduced me to VTM and WW as a whole (tho I new *of them* from the CCG years earlier). I want more of that. I will pay money for more of that. I will kickstart it, preorder it, vote it onto Greenlight. Paradox own the IP, I'm not questioning the necessity or focus on the PnP game, the source books or game design. I'm just hopeful that VTM, WWTA and the like will find their way as video games onto Steam so *I* can enjoy them too. The PnPers are covered.

I also lament the lack of DnD games. Since BW decided to make their own IPs instead of licensing other peoples' (Star Wars withstanding), following the Baldur's Gate Saga, other infinity engine games and NWN 1 & 2, that's it, there's nothing else. The Neverwinter MMO is Perfect World who mostly suck and isn't really an RPG, but an MMO. The Tales of the Sword Coast game looks cool and I'm looking forward to it, but I think the setting and game system work very well in video games and wish there were more. I don't play PnP DnD/Pathfinder either (as interesting and fun as it might well be), so cRPGs are my interest.

I think there is demand and interest in more like VTMB and again, while I don't question the necessity or importance of the books and PnP game, I personally, and many other video gamers, would love for Paradox to make some damn White Wolf video games. They'll have my money and my gratitude. I want to get my Malkavian on!