What does the world have against America?

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
Now, I'm Canadian, and I know that a lot of people dislike, even hate, the US. There are several things about the US that I really dislike and hate. But I've always wondered why people seem to view every single American in a bad way. Sure, the US has a lot of obnoxious, arrogant, self-centered, greedy, immoral people, especially in the government. But honestly, what country doesn't? Can any country claim to be perfect bastions of freedom, democracy, happiness, cute puppies and cute smiles on a baby's face? None. Each country has it's flaws. Is it maybe because the US is often set as a country to aspire to? Is it because it's one of the three most powerful countries on Earth? Is it because the Republicans and Democrats seem determined to tear the country in two apart because of their feud? What are your thoughts?
EDIT: I really hoped I didn't have to do this, but since people apparently can't possibly want to have discussions, I have to say this: THIS THREAD IS NOT TO MAKE AMERICANS ANGRY. IT IS NOT TO PROVOKE ARGUMENTS. IT IS NOT BECAUSE I WANT VALIDATION BECAUSE I HATE AMERICANS. I just want to know people's opinions. So stop posting comments about it that. Seriously. It's getting really annoying when people say that. I want to know if you hate or dislike Americans and why. That's all. Trolls who want arguments can go somewhere else.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Really it just boils down to the wars America has been in. Also America was half of the reason the whole world could have been fucked by nukes in the 60s.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
In my opinion, it is because America is so accessible/open to the rest of the world. They fly their dirty laundry on a flag pole like it's nobody's business.
Thus the negatives come to light and just takes prevalence in people's minds. You don't pay attention to the good things the US and its people do in the world because it isn't interesting, you pay attention to the shenanigans.
I've lived in a couple parts of the world and trust me, some places are just as bad or worse than the US, yet they will all decry the US as the worst and hate it.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
I think it's mainly because of America "nosing on around other people's business". There are lots of American outposts in other countries with unjustified reasons whatsoever according to the involved country. Philippines is a different case though imo.

There was once a highly publicized rape case in our country involving a group of American soldiers and a citizen. Americans are here because of the Visiting Forces Agreement, which means that they will hold regular training sessions in our country to aid our native soldiers in the fight against rebel groups (e.g. Abu Saiyaf which is allegedly funded by Al Qaeda). Anyway back on point, that case brought a lot of negativity and many people started to protest against the VFA.

As an analogy, the world is a classroom where America is the biggest pupil full of bravado. This makes other pupils either love or hate him. It just happens today that more people hate than love.

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
Really it just boils down to the wars America has been in. Also America was half of the reason the whole world could have been fucked by nukes in the 60s.
But then nobody seems to hate Russia for that.

If anything the US has been rather restrained with its military, relative to the power that it wields.

Rednog said:
In my opinion, it is because America is so accessible/open to the rest of the world. They fly their dirty laundry on a flag pole like it's nobody's business.
This is a big part of it. The US discusses its problems in the broad daylight of newspapers and politics. Very few other societies do this, and most keep it under the rug.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Aside from what's already been said, there's also just the fact that it's easy to to hate the biggest, richest kid on the block. You can't beat him up, and he has the coolest toys, the one you can't afford (spoiled brat!). When he shows up, you just have to deal with him.

Rednog said:
In my opinion, it is because America is so accessible/open to the rest of the world.
Along these lines, nearly every country has some relationship with the US, and the people in those countries know it. For example, I can imagine some Mexican guy saying nasty things about Guatemalans, or something, and other some other people concurring while he is in Mexico, but if he goes to France and says the same thing, people around him probably won't have much to say about Guatemala. But if he says "America sucks, too!", well... suddenly he's more likely to get an agreement from the people there.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Pierce Graham said:
Now, I'm Canadian, and I know that a lot of people dislike, even hate, the US. There are several things about the US that I really dislike and hate. But I've always wondered why people seem to view every single American in a bad way. Sure, the US has a lot of obnoxious, arrogant, self-centered, greedy, immoral people, especially in the government. But honestly, what country doesn't? Can any country claim to be perfect bastions of freedom, democracy, happiness, cute puppies and cute smiles on a baby's face? None. Each country has it's flaws. Is it maybe because the US is often set as a country to aspire to? Is it because it's one of the three most powerful countries on Earth? Is it because the Republicans and Democrats seem determined to tear the country in two apart because of their feud? What are your thoughts?
Because in other countries the greedy self-centred arrogant asses in office and those ignorant ass holes who tell them what to do only affect the poor fools in their own country and those directly involved in the issue. Take for example, the current Euro currency crisis and the on going debates. Affects noone really but Europe, ok and china but only because they hold so much of the debt.

In the US, those idiots inflict their ignorance on the WORLD. If you don't believe me...SOPO.

DarkArk said:
Fieldy409 said:
But then nobody seems to hate Russia for that.
Because the Russia your talking about collapsed for good in 1991 and had been in civil turmoil for some time leading up to that.

The USA is still the USA.

The rest of the world is still wondering why you can let go of the USSR and communism in general.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
I agree. SOPA is truly a issue to be concerned about, yet barely anyone is concerned. Everyone seems to believe it couldn't possibly happen. But I'm sure it will.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
nbamaniac said:
"nosing on around other people's business"
That is a huge reason. The Vietnam war started because the US didn't like how communism was expanding. It's not their country, they have no right in going gun blazing to "fix" things. Im glad they lost that war. If they had won they probably would have gone after the othe communist counties and more people would have been killed.

Still on war. Both world wars the US stayed neutral for the first half so they could get rich selling weapons but when someone rocked the boat to much they enter and act like they were there the whole time. Then they act like they won the whole war by themsleves.

Much of the news about the US that get to other counties normally isn't the nice kind. It's wacky religious group does this, wacky laws have or might get passed or something bad happened to US soldiers in the Middle East. Sure other counties can have the same sort of crazy stuff happening but they aren't in the public eye. They are just too small for the public eye.

Tourists, I know many countries have tourists making their country look bad or stupid but when it comes to the Western world. The USA's population is a large percentage even if you combine all of the western world. Im Australian I know that many Asian tourists hotspots that think Aussie tourists are loud, rude & disrepectful. Many of the people in those countries even though the Australians have got that rep there they class all Westerners in it. So when an American goes there they get the same shit because some other white guy gave everyone a bad name.

That would be my top reason why I believe the USA have such a reputation in the eyes of the world. The sad thing is it has nothing to do with the average US person. Why should the average US person be blamed for what their government did? Because they might have voted for them? Thats unfair. I know I don't agree with all of what the government parties I support do. Even if you still want to use "because they voted them in" Im sure the early 20s tourist really voted for the party that caused the US to enter WW1 or WW2 or even Vietnam. They don't control the media or what other westerners did on holidays.

If only everyone gave everyone a fair go instead of judging them before they get to know them.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Talshere said:
... Take for example, the current Euro currency crisis and the on going debates. Affects noone really but Europe, ok and china but only because they hold so much of the debt.
Given how many other countries trade with the ones in the Eurozone, it actually affects a lot more than just Europe. Thanks to globalization, any time one of the world's larger economies runs into trouble, it tends to drag down the others. The Eurozone contains several of the world's largest economies. If you count all the member states together, the EU actually is the world's largest economy. So the Euro crisis actually affects a lot of non-European contries.

Talshere said:
The rest of the world is still wondering why you can let go of the USSR and communism in general.
Because generations of Americans were taught from an early age that communists were unarguably evil and trying to conquer the world, and the US was the only thing standing in their way. As for the USSR, I guess we're trying to figure out what to do with all these super-expensive, horrifyingly destructive weapons we built to fight them, and some people miss knowing exactly who the "bad guys" are and being able to justify spending any amount of money on something as long as it's designed to make those people die.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
ComradeJim270 said:
Talshere said:
Given how many other countries trade with the ones in the Eurozone, it actually affects a lot more than just Europe. Thanks to globalization, any time one of the world's larger economies runs into trouble, it tends to drag down the others. The Eurozone contains several of the world's largest economies. If you count all the member states together, the EU actually is the world's largest economy. So the Euro crisis actually affects a lot of non-European contries.
Not really, if it looks like its seriously guna go that way the euro currency will either decentralise basically removing it as a currency, IE Germany will still have Euro's but they will be German Euros which are only valid in Germany (Yes you can identify current Euro currency by nation so it is possible) or Greece and any other country that cant be physically save will be kicked out of the single currency thereby averting the problem.

The question atm isnt "Will the big economies survive" its "can we save the euro". We already KNOW the big economies will survive, one way or the other.

ComradeJim270 said:
Talshere said:
Because generations of Americans were taught from an early age that communists were unarguably evil and trying to conquer the world, and the US was the only thing standing in their way. As for the USSR, I guess we're trying to figure out what to do with all these super-expensive, horrifyingly destructive weapons we built to fight them, and some people miss knowing exactly who the "bad guys" are and being able to justify spending any amount of money on something as long as it's designed to make those people die.
[/quote]

Propaganda and hypocrisy :p The flavour of the interwebs. I give you props though at least you admit it, its more than I usually get.

The idea that and communism itself is evil is laughable at best. In fact on paper communism is the only really viable government method. What you COULD do with all those super expensive weapons and that pointlessly big military now that I think about it, is, you know,get rid of them? Im not a big fan of total disarmament. In fact with the number of new countries just now starting to flex their atomic muscles without the case study of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to learn from total disarmament would be callus and irresponsible. But er. Overcompensating much :p

I though it for a while, I liken the USA to a Teenager that knows its time to grow up get a job and act responsibly but isnt quite sure what that means or how to go about it :p

arcticspoon

Jul 7, 2010
"Hata's gone hate!" Just joking. It's a nice place but it's on center stage. It's in HD. Even Erin Burnett has wrinkles in HD -- yet I still wanna be OutFront. I don't believe in the principle of American Exceptionalism but I believe in the historical reality of it. At least when we're ugly the cause is clever manipulation of social opinion ... as opposed to some edict of Kim Jong Il's kid. (You could -- almost [incredibly nearly]-- paint the "Mona Lisa" on his double chin).

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Talshere said:
The question atm isnt "Will the big economies survive" its "can we save the euro". We already KNOW the big economies will survive, one way or the other.
Oh, I'm sure they will. They survived when the US economy crapped the bed (its bed and everybody else's), which, by the way, is another possible reason someone might dislike America.

Talshere said:
Propaganda and hypocrisy :p The flavour of the interwebs. I give you props though at least you admit it, its more than I usually get.

The idea that and communism itself is evil is laughable at best. In fact on paper communism is the only really viable government method. What you COULD do with all those super expensive weapons and that pointlessly big military now that I think about it, is, you know,get rid of them? Im not a big fan of total disarmament. In fact with the number of new countries just now starting to flex their atomic muscles without the case study of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to learn from total disarmament would be callus and irresponsible. But er. Overcompensating much :p

I though it for a while, I liken the USA to a Teenager that knows its time to grow up get a job and act responsibly but isnt quite sure what that means or how to go about it :p
Yes, getting rid of them would be a good idea, but our weapons industry is worth more than the GDP of a lot of countries, and millions and millions of Americans are either in the military, or working for companies that make most or all of their money through military contracts. So just suddenly disarming would be very bad for the economy. Plus, those contractors have lobbyists trying to prevent this from happening, and we've got fear-mongering types on the news telling American voters we need all these super-expensive weapons to fight one enemy or another (none of which are a serious enough threat to justify spending even a fraction as much as the US does on its military).

On top of that, I'd point out that having an immense military is potentially handy if you're trying to exert a hegemonic influence over the world, which I think the US has been trying to do for a while now (there's another reason, right there). They try to export America's particular brand of "freedom" (which is very much a brand), and make countries feel like they need American troops around to be safe... in exchange? Well, it's all about money, though not in the way you might think.

Your analogy isn't a bad one, but it's hard to personify a superpower. Your figurative teenager also has obscene amounts of wealth (and obscene amounts of debt which he tries to ignore), along with the ability to turn any country on Earth into a sea of ash.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
I think its important to distinguish between America and Americans. I'm not a fan of America as a whole, but one of the loveliest people I know is an American.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
ComradeJim270 said:
snip

Yes, getting rid of them would be a good idea, but our weapons industry is worth more than the GDP of a lot of countries, and millions and millions of Americans are either in the military, or working for companies that make most or all of their money through military contracts. So just suddenly disarming would be very bad for the economy. Plus, those contractors have lobbyists trying to prevent this from happening, and we've got fear-mongering types on the news telling American voters we need all these super-expensive weapons to fight one enemy or another (none of which are a serious enough threat to justify spending even a fraction as much as the US does on its military).

On top of that, I'd point out that having an immense military is potentially handy if you're trying to exert a hegemonic influence over the world, which I think the US has been trying to do for a while now (there's another reason, right there). They try to export America's particular brand of "freedom" (which is very much a brand), and make countries feel like they need American troops around to be safe... in exchange? Well, it's all about money, though not in the way you might think.

Your analogy isn't a bad one, but it's hard to personify a superpower. Your figurative teenager also has obscene amounts of wealth (and obscene amounts of debt which he tries to ignore), along with the ability to turn any country on Earth into a sea of ash.

What your describing there is what I like to call the collapse of capitalism. Its reached the point where big business has to much power and to much of an agenda to properly represent the people any more. Capitalism only works when where there are limits of influence over those in power. To my knowledge (Which granted is fairly limited) there US puts no limits on the ability of business to finance political campaigns, as a result every congressman is bought and paid for, the result of this can be found in the debacle that is SOPA.

It must be possible to reduce military spending without killing your economy, several countries have done it in the past, I think the main problem there is just that noone is really looking for a solution, itll likely be unpopular and hard to implement so people just leave it how it is.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
To us in England, a lot of us are personally jaded towards the US, since they act like the spokesperson for the English-speaking West, and we do not like that. But for some reason, our leaders insist on sucking up to the States, even if we're well aware it makes no sense. Now we end up with Muslim extremists on our own soil, lumping us in with the Americans, despite the fact we're only in their countries because our leaders weren't man enough to tell the US to stop being such dicks.

I mean, really. Shooting Pakistani soldiers? Encroaching on Pakistani sovereign soil, and the moment they tell you to fuck off, you suddenly find ibn-Laden there? America, you ARE disgusting. You've imposed a sanction on buying Iranian oil, because Iran are supposedly developing nukes.
Well. You have nukes. I wouldn't be surprised if Iran is worried about a joint Israeli/American invasion. Wouldn't put it past you.
Oh, and the Iranian caught with radioactive contraband and Moscow International - what exactly are you trying to pull here? I'm fairly sure that if Iran wanted nuclear supplies, they wouldn't need to send a civilian via commercial airline.

And of course there's the Lockerbie bomber incident in the past. Scotland had no evidence with which to try the suspect, but did the Americans care? Nope. They wanted to put somebody away so they could swing their dicks at the public and say "Look what good anti-terrorists we are."

I feel so bad for the American people. In the Middle East, there are people that would happily burn you and rape your family due to the actions of your government. I know a lot of you are stupid, a lot of you are ignorant, and a few are completely insane, but you're really not bad people. 99% of the Americans on this site certainly don't fit into the above groups, but thanks to your leaders, you're the Infidel now.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Talshere said:
What your describing there is what I like to call the collapse of capitalism. Its reached the point where big business has to much power and to much of an agenda to properly represent the people any more. Capitalism only works when where there are limits of influence over those in power. To my knowledge (Which granted is fairly limited) there US puts no limits on the ability of business to finance political campaigns, as a result every congressman is bought and paid for, the result of this can be found in the debacle that is SOPA.
More or less. The Citizens United decision in the Surpeme Court effectively gave corporations a sort of personhood, thereby allowing them to participate in campaigns to a much greater degree than they could before. There are limits on how much they can donate to a campaign, but they can and do find alternatives, and they're now able to run as many ads as they want to help their favored candidates' campaign, so long as they abide by certain rules (which do little to mitigate the problem).

Talshere said:
It must be possible to reduce military spending without killing your economy, several countries have done it in the past, I think the main problem there is just that noone is really looking for a solution, itll likely be unpopular and hard to implement so people just leave it how it is.
Those other countries didn't spend nearly as much on their militaries as the rest of the world combined. The US does. That makes it a bit more challenging. On topf of that. Some of the stuff can't even be sold. When the US Air Force retired the stealth fighter, they stuck them all in hangars somewhere, because the technology used in their construction is illegal to export. If the navy decided to sell one of the Nimitz-class carriers, who would buy it? Just operating one of those ships would probably be too expensive for another navy, let alone all the ships needed to support it.

It's not just politicians and generals who cause the problem, either. They're just trying to keep the people happy, to maintain an "American way of life" which is not sustainable but which is difficult to address because it has become culturally sacrosanct.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Thyunda said:
To us in England, a lot of us are personally jaded towards the US, since they act like the spokesperson for the English-speaking West, and we do not like that. But for some reason, our leaders insist on sucking up to the States, even if we're well aware it makes no sense. Now we end up with Muslim extremists on our own soil, lumping us in with the Americans, despite the fact we're only in their countries because our leaders weren't man enough to tell the US to stop being such dicks.

I mean, really. Shooting Pakistani soldiers? Encroaching on Pakistani sovereign soil, and the moment they tell you to fuck off, you suddenly find ibn-Laden there? America, you ARE disgusting. You've imposed a sanction on buying Iranian oil, because Iran are supposedly developing nukes.
Well. You have nukes. I wouldn't be surprised if Iran is worried about a joint Israeli/American invasion. Wouldn't put it past you.
Oh, and the Iranian caught with radioactive contraband and Moscow International - what exactly are you trying to pull here? I'm fairly sure that if Iran wanted nuclear supplies, they wouldn't need to send a civilian via commercial airline.

And of course there's the Lockerbie bomber incident in the past. Scotland had no evidence with which to try the suspect, but did the Americans care? Nope. They wanted to put somebody away so they could swing their dicks at the public and say "Look what good anti-terrorists we are."

I feel so bad for the American people. In the Middle East, there are people that would happily burn you and rape your family due to the actions of your government. I know a lot of you are stupid, a lot of you are ignorant, and a few are completely insane, but you're really not bad people. 99% of the Americans on this site certainly don't fit into the above groups, but thanks to your leaders, you're the Infidel now.
This is really well written and i was honestly looking at the keyboard after reading this trying to decide what to add. I dont hate americans but as one "combined" country entity you can be rather dislikable.

I mean you can try and brush that genocide under the carpet as much as you like america but you were built on taking natives and brutally murdering them then building on top of the rivers of blood. Now you tend to be quite scared of anyone bringing change to your country from outside. We hate hitler for what he did but for some reason no one tends to hold this against you. It kinda rankles me that so many can die and no one even cares. The native americans are just a forgotten people. And when your average american complains about invading "aliens" the hypocracy makes me cringe.

Youre an OK bunch, but like the above poster said you tend to speak for the "west" like some kind of spokesman, and it kinda makes us come of douchy. I despise Mr cameron. I wish hed stop licking shoe for a minute to actually say some of his own stuff. Not that id even agree with it but hell its a start.

Crazy_Dude said:
Claiming to be the "land of freedom" while gay marriage is still banned in most states.
Also this. Your tagline would be more accurate as "Free if you agree to be a a chrstian or follow our rules"

EDIT: Im getting so many quotes now im just skim sreading them. Lemme clarify.

I know europe isnt blameless. I never said it was. However what we DIDNT do was remain on top of the oppressed natives (or just butcher every single one) and then found a VERY patriotic and xenophobic country on top. Just saying. Please stop quoting me.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I'm a Canadian as well, and I don't hate America.

I am just really, really terrified of their particular brand of ultra-Neo Conservative wing rhetoric and the slavish worship from said political wing to the concept of American Exceptionalism/Just World mentality. And unfortunately, this group also tends to be the most obnoxious and vocal of all Americans in your media and foreign affairs..