What exactly is the point of a 'Press Start' screen on games?

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Because the controller has a start button? If controllers had a 'kaboom' button, the screen would say press 'kaboom'
Get me?

Trekologist

Classic Rock Snob
Mar 19, 2009
Controllers. To see which controller you're going to use. You can have GTA IV to have a 'press start' screen if you have two or more people signed in to see which profile you want to use. Virtually every game, if you have two controllers turned on, and you press start on one controller, the other obviously, won't work to play the game, unless it is more multiplayer oriented.

dark_taint92

That's Cap'n Taint to you
Jan 26, 2009
i have to ask. how have you got the yahtzee badge when you only joined today?
OT: guess because most games have them there the social norm now really

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
It serves some purposes, one to signal hey the game's loaded. Second, to provide the title of the Game, three give copy right credits, four because it's tradition.

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
Pokemon Blue and Red technically don't have one.

Continue
New Game
Options

That's like a menu if I'm not mistaken.

VintageElise

Dec 23, 2009
dark_taint92 said:
i have to ask. how have you got the yahtzee badge when you only joined today?
OT: guess because most games have them there the social norm now really
I've been lurking for ages. So I did the quiz a few times and got the badge.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I don't mind them, what I do mind is when they say "Press Start" and you can actually press any button, what's the point in saying press start?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
VintageElise said:
Most games I play these days all have these screens and there seems to be no purpose to them what-so-ever. Does anyone here know why they are still included?
Most games use it to determine the active controller for menu browsing and such if more than one is plugged in/synched. The first controller to press Start is the one the game uses. It's more convenient than switching controllers.

Utarefson

Apr 15, 2009
To let the game know, which one of the 4 wireless controllers is the one you're going to use as the first player

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
Its like a butler to the main game. "It says 'welcome to so and so, Please make yourself comfortable. May I take your real world stress from you and offer you a getaway from it all for a brief time? (May I take you hats, your coats, and you swastikas?)

Cookies for him who names that movie reference.

Tomsky

Oct 15, 2009
ansem1532 said:
Tomsky said:
I hate them so much.
..may I ask why?
Of course you may. Doesn't mean you'll get an answer.

Seriously though it's just irratates me a lot as it seem so pointless. Also one of the first time I picked up a controller I didn't realise you had to press start and I thought I had broken the game so I got really upset and cried.

EliteFreq

Dec 10, 2008
I'd say that it's tradition. Like having lives and credits for games that aren't coin operated, along with Game Over screens, the Konami Code, etc.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Tomsky said:
ansem1532 said:
Tomsky said:
I hate them so much.
..may I ask why?

Seriously though it's just irratates me a lot as it seem so pointless. Also one of the first time I picked up a controller I didn't realise you had to press start and I thought I had broken the game so I got really upset and cried.
Oh my o.o

..that is quite a traumatic childhood experience..

Tomsky

Oct 15, 2009
ansem1532 said:
Tomsky said:
ansem1532 said:
Tomsky said:
I hate them so much.
..may I ask why?

Oh my o.o

..that is quite a traumatic childhood experience..
You can say that again. Touched kids haven't got anything on me.