What exactly makes music music?

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
TheRealJLars said:
As a former jazz studies major: Music, in its broadest sense, is any combination of sounds that elicits some sort of emotional response from the the listener. It doesn't matter if it's any good or not.
I would agree with this. Music makes you feel something. If an artist is good and/or lucky, it'll be what they want you to feel. That's not always the case, though.

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
I define music as sound intended to be listened to as entertainment, whose chief attraction as such is the expression of some or all of the Elements of Music: melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, tempo, timbre, and form. This means that I definitely consider dubstep to be music, albeit a relatively simple genre (not nearly as simple as "pop", though), since its emphasis is on timbre and, to a lesser extent, harmony. I couldn't care less for it myself, but whatever floats your boat.

It also means that I think rap, as distinguished from hip-hop (I'll explain after), is not music, because (unless I've been misinformed) the chief attraction is the lyrics, a non-musical element of the piece (hip-hop, to me, is the result of injecting a significant amount of melody or something else musical into rap). And yes, the drums are prominent, but that doesn't mean that they're the reason you listen to it. I'm NOT saying that rap isn't art, just that it's been mis-classified. It bears more of a resemblance to poetry. Actually, scratch that. It bears more of a resemblance to Shakespeare. And I just realized how absurdly ironic that is.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you've got stuff like progressive rock, in which any given piece will probably end up emphasizing at least 5 of the Elements of Music by the time it's (finally) over.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
Generically saying what music is and isn't is all bassed off opinion (ie, dubstep isn't music because I don't like it, or country is real music because I like it, etc.)

The best definition is this: Music is the manipulation of sound.

I say this because there was a composer named John Cage who "wrote" a piece called 4'33". It's more of a theoretical piece, but basically it's 4 mintues and 33 seconds of silence. It's meant for listiners to think of background sound as music.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JochemHippie said:
Music seems to have reached the point where anything that has sound vibrations coming together in harmonics is "music" Though I tend to be picky about what I call music, elitism? No, very well taste.
weather or not you like somthing has little bearing on its "definietion" of being music

or in otherwords people jsut say "it isnt music" because they dont like it, when it actually is

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Pheh, this question is like trying to define art.

It's way too subjective, way too broad. Of course there will always be people who's opinions of it are somehow of higher value to the general populace, but that doesn't really matter.

No matter how much I think dubstep just sounds like so much noise, I can never convince its fans otherwise.

No matter how much I think Pollock's work looks like it was stolen from a kindergarten for hyperactive children, I can never convince most classical art critics that the stuff is the work of a genius.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]So in other words, in regards to this topic... I am positively neutral! :D Was that worth taking the time to enlarge this text?[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
As has been said plenty of times before, dubstep is indeed music.
In fact, there are really good dubstep artists out there.
Burial [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA], Four Tet [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpe4id7cLnU], Gold Panda [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1wK7iCQfQ&feature=related], Phaeleh [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sYEF5X9xL4] and Pretty Lights [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6T5depSysg] are all highly talented dubstep/house or... whatever you want to call it DJs.

It's too subjective though to say one random collage of sounds is music while others isn't.
If someone finds enjoyment out of it, it's music. I have no problem with it, really.
I personally can't stand this new trend of "brostep" as it just sounds obnoxious to me and kinda nerve wracking.

To me, it just sounds like someone took the sounds from the Transformers movies and edited them to a generic electro synth piano introduction, but that's just me.
Some of the more melodic variations I can tolerate, but to me, it's just jarring noise.

But my own opinion doesn't really matter.
If you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks?
I know my opinions on Japanese pop and symphonic death metal aren't the most popular but I don't care.

Disregarding opinions though, I will say this.
Who in the fuck could possibly enjoy listening to this band?
I've heard of them nonstop for the last month and I just... do not get it. At all.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Not much for me to do here. Most people get that it only takes something to be arranged with pitch, tones, and melody to be music. For a prime example, obsurve the first minute of this video.

Todd takes some music(horrible music IMO, but still music) and plays it on a traditional instrument. That way, you know making that took some organization. You can do the same thing with any dubstep track.

It doesnt matter if its being done with Live 8 or a guitar, its music all the same.

If the sound of dubstep is unpleasant to you, thats just your personal preference. But you cant denie its music.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Y'know, I have the same attitude about all these kinds of things...art definitions. I would grudgingly say that music is organised sound designed to induce a feeling or atmosphere, although on an admittedly biased and personal level I don't call some music 'music' in the same way I don't call all modern art 'art'. Music I like doesn't come from all one genre, although there are some with higher concentrations of music I like than others, I often like individual pieces instead.

But to get to the question that is the issue at the centre of this thread: yes of course dubstep is music. If modern composers can base music off maths, which for me induces nothing but cringing and falls far short of appreciation at the clashing tremolos, and I have to consider that music, dubstep is music.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Aiedail256 said:
I define music as sound intended to be listened to as entertainment, whose chief attraction as such is the expression of some or all of the Elements of Music: melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, tempo, timbre, and form. This means that I definitely consider dubstep to be music, albeit a relatively simple genre (not nearly as simple as "pop", though), since its emphasis is on timbre and, to a lesser extent, harmony. I couldn't care less for it myself, but whatever floats your boat.

It also means that I think rap, as distinguished from hip-hop (I'll explain after), is not music, because (unless I've been misinformed) the chief attraction is the lyrics, a non-musical element of the piece (hip-hop, to me, is the result of injecting a significant amount of melody or something else musical into rap). And yes, the drums are prominent, but that doesn't mean that they're the reason you listen to it. I'm NOT saying that rap isn't art, just that it's been mis-classified. It bears more of a resemblance to poetry. Actually, scratch that. It bears more of a resemblance to Shakespeare. And I just realized how absurdly ironic that is.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you've got stuff like progressive rock, in which any given piece will probably end up emphasizing at least 5 of the Elements of Music by the time it's (finally) over.
Rap goes under rhythm alone, akin to african drumming. Would you say african drumming isn't music?
Also, everyone has different reasons for listening to a certain piece of music. My brother really does not care too much about the lyrics of the song. He does however like the beats within the song. For example, the riffs created within the song, the chopping up of mowtown tracks etc.. It doesn't have to be the intended reason, but I don't think that matters really.

Finally, the thing that distinguishes rap from something like "free form poetry" is that rap has a heavy emphasis on rhythm in the vocals. It doesn't matter how fast, slow, accurate or inaccurate the rhythm is, you cannot deny it being there.

If poetry has a form of rhythm to it, I count it as music. It's basically a song, I really don't see a difference except there may not be a melody.

TheRealJLars

Feb 15, 2010
garjian said:
TheRealJLars said:
This might break your heart, but i cant listen to this and not notice how similar it is to 21st Century Schizoid Man, which i know from guitar hero. its weird... every few seconds theres something that sounds exactly like it, but on different instruments...

I like it though... it might give me a headache after a while and i wouldnt listen to it with headphones mind you.

A lot of people seem to regard most of the music i listen to as a "random bunch of noises" and i hate when they do, because all i can tell them to do is the listen to it properly.
I agree with you 100%. When I first listened to it, I called it simultaneously the most awesome and terrifying thing I've ever heard. And then I proceeded to give myself a migraine listening to the rest of the album.

I'm not a huge fan of the "listen to it properly" argument simply because people have different ways that they perceive and listen to music and frankly, some very good music is very difficult to listen to. Sometimes it just takes multiple listens, but people don't always have the patience to do that.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
One of the most basic definitions of music is repetition of some sort but it goes much deeper than that

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
TestECull said:
Glademaster said:
The point was if it makes musical sense and was written with good composition in mind it is still music opinions aside. Personally, Dubstep grates on my ears and I do not like it but I still have to accept some of it is music. I'd also like to launch that Gerald Barry piece into space and it cannot be unheard after having to study it for a year. Even at that just because something qualifies as music does not make it good music.

Any song that can be played by setting your audio equipment on fire is not music.
"Good" music is entirely subjective, there are tons of good dubstep tracks, as there are good songs for every genre. Also a lot of people confuse dubstep and electronic music in general. But just saying something is not music because you don't like it makes you look like an idiot.

mickey

Mar 16, 2012
If you go back far enough in time you can guess that people from the past would certainly not consider some of the sounds we make now as music. Yet to us they awe fantastic "Music". So maybe its really just about where our minds are, what our culture gives us to respond to. Meanwhile Oliver Sack wrote a book called Musicophilia digs deep into ideas about this. http://musicophilia.com/