What Existing Story Would You Like to See as a Musical?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Nothing, I hate musicals. I can't wrap my brain around the concept of singing me a story, while in the middle of a play. It's like breaking the 4th wall, ludonarrative discobiscuits and all that. It pulls me right out of any tension and drama they've generated.

The only one that I can tolerate, is Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog. And I think that's mostly because it's poking fun at itself and musicals in general, so it doesn't bother me as much. Other than that, I just can't enjoy the medium at all.

For everyone that does love them. Cool, good for you, rock on loving them, but I just can't join your ranks. xD

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
The Diary Of Anne Frank.

Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

No stay with me for a second. Can you imagine batman and superman sing about coming to terms with each other because of the name of their mother's name?

Just think about it for a second. Greatest musical number ever.
I really don't know why everyone thinks that a stupid plot point. Off topic I know.

The entire movie he's looking at clark as this alien force of destruction, it's suppose to be a poetic revelation to him like "Oh shit, he has a mom too!" that instantly humanizes Clark to him.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
SweetShark said:
Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

No stay with me for a second. Can you imagine batman and superman sing about coming to terms with each other because of the name of their mother's name?

Oh my god. I imaging in the whole fight Superman singing for pleading Batman to stop but Batman in return just singing the whole time "I AM BATMAN!!!"
Only if there's a dancing/singing number, where it's just Batman and Superman singing the name 'Martha!' at each other for 12 minutes.

Happyninja42 said:
The only one that I can tolerate, is Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog. And I think that's mostly because it's poking fun at itself and musicals in general, so it doesn't bother me as much. Other than that, I just can't enjoy the medium at all.
The only musical more amusing then Dr. Horrible is the Dr. Horrible Commentary MUSICAL! If you have a DVD/Blu-Ray copy of it and haven't listened to the commentary, I highly recommend it.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hmm... I'm gonna go with Apollo 13. The cramped, freezing plight of the astronauts would go well in quiet song interludes in the shadow of the moon ["Radio Silence"], contrasted with the more elaborate big dance numbers back at the control room ["What we gonna do?"], until Lovell's wife steals the show with a powerful kickass song to boot all the paparazzi off her front lawn ["He'll be back on Friday (Friday)"]

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
DudeistBelieve said:
I really don't know why everyone thinks that a stupid plot point. Off topic I know.

The entire movie he's looking at clark as this alien force of destruction, it's suppose to be a poetic revelation to him like "Oh shit, he has a mom too!" that instantly humanizes Clark to him.
Serious hat on here for a second and off topic hat as well.

My issue with it wasn't the plot point, but I believe it was just executed poorly. It was a pretty sudden turn around that came off more badly. It had the opportunity for a unique and humanizing moment of bonding between the two characters, but it didn't really earn it and seemed more than a little stilted.

At least that was how it was for me, differing opinions more than welcome though.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
SweetShark said:
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

Oh my god. I imaging in the whole fight Superman singing for pleading Batman to stop but Batman in return just singing the whole time "I AM BATMAN!!!"
I'd pay to sit through that five times, if only to see just the Baperman fight/duet:

[Superman] What are we doing, and why?
Luthor told me to fight you or my mother dies!
[Batman] I AM BATMAN!
On a different note, it seems a hero with the name Baperman exist:

Look cool.
Drat!

The Caped Woesader Vs. the Man of Feels?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The Musical
We can't stop here, this is chorus country

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Oddly enough, as a lyricist myself, I can't stand musicals. Or musical numbers which have made Disney films less enjoyable to me than the average person.

So let's break the mould a little and say "Yharnam Presents: Bloodborne!"

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

I'd pay to sit through that five times, if only to see just the Baperman fight/duet:

[Batman] I AM BATMAN!

*pic*

Look cool.
Drat!

Congratulation!!!
It seems you are the first you evented the word "Woesader". We are in the first results in googles among other two other webpages.
We need to draw a Prototype sketch of your new-born hero!!!!

EDIT:
Drat = What cute people say when they are pissed off.
Was this intentional?

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
SweetShark said:
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

*pic*

Look cool.
Drat!

Congratulation!!!
It seems you are the first you evented the word "Woesader". We are in the first results in googles among other two other webpages.
We need to draw a Prototype sketch of your new-born hero!!!!
If I only had champagne (sung to the tune of "If I Only Had a Brain")! Thanks for searching - it certainly seems to fit most of the interpretations of Batman out in print/cinema.

I only like to curse when I speak.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
mduncan50 said:
I'm going to go with Schindler's List just out of morbid curiosity. And before anyone says it wouldn't work I would like to remind the court that one of the most consistently popular musicals for the past few decades translates to the "The Miserables".
Only if you're being excessively literal. A more accurate translation would be "the unfortunates" or "the children" (more tellingly, but only if you've read the book (which you should- it's long, but it's fast (hooray for nested parentheses!))).

Anyway, my vote. It's long enough that it'd probably need to be... what's the musical equivalent of a miniseries? But "Journey to the West". It's got everything you need for the perfect musical: a giant waterfall, Daoist gods, violence, sex (sort of), a personal intervention by Buddha himself, and the most kickass monkey in the history of the universe- and that's just in the prologue!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There are a few...moody rock-operas based off of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid would be pretty bitchin'. I guess CSotN would be a Gothic Rock Opera whereas MGS would be more of a techno-based rock opera. I'd also like to see musicals based off of people like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy...oh, or Jeffry Dahmer. I feel like Dahmer the Musical could be really relevant at the moment.

Faaip

Move Along
Jan 4, 2009
Not a musical, but I always though Reservoir Dogs would work well as a stage performance

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Zeras said:
SweetShark said:
Dreph said:
Dawn of Justice.

I'd pay to sit through that five times, if only to see just the Baperman* fight/duet:

[Batman] I AM BATMAN!
[repeat Batmans' verse(?) after every Superman verse/stanza]
[duet/song lasts four mintues; add-lib suggested, but not required]

I'm sorry that my rhyhming skills aren't up to par, but that would literally make my day/night/whenever I'd decide to go see this wonderful brain-child of a musical.

* If no one can claim that as an appropriate mashup of both supers, it's mine now!
There's already a Bateman musical, and it's great.