What Fictional World Would You Pick.....

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There is the whole SIN problem though. And the fact the dominant religion is very creepy, corrupt and kinda Death-cultish. On the plus side, I guess if you like underwater football then yay?
Eh, most of the people didn't seem to notice any of that. And compared to how the real world is now, yeah, I'll take it.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
This is always a difficult questions, because I would love to say some futuristic game, because of all of the space travel, improved technology, improved healthcare, and lots of new places to visit, but then these universes always seem to come with the increased chance of being shot/blown up/eaten/turned into a monster/kidnapped/vaporised.

I'd probably say Mass Effect, but then hope that I don't live on a planet in the line of sight of the Reapers.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd have to agree with Stardew Valley. Really picking any non-combat centered game is a pretty easy choice though. But I grew up on a farm, so I'd probably go with My Time at Portia instead of Stardew Valley. Rather be a builder than a farmer again. Although, somewhat more fun would be living in Thimbleweed Park. In that kind of David Lynch meets X-Files world, something fun would always be happening. Plus given the plot twist at the end, it would add a whole new level to the whole concept of "living in a video game world." I'd also say Monster Hunter World, because that food look very tasty, and I'd just live in a settlement (dinosaurs generally stay within their designated combat arenas in those games.) But the problem is (and why I'd have to look elsewhere for a video game to live in) I'm massively allergic to cats. Eating those delicious meals would subject me to so much cat hair and dander it would probably kill me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Probably one of them Final Fantasy ones, because eveyone would be hot and I'd probably be five times hotter too solely by looking more anime-ish. Wish I could be less shallow in my answer, but there is.

More specifically FF10, since that whole place feels like one big vacation resort.
FFX is objectively the worse world to live considering the random giant whale monster obliterations.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Hmm, either Star Trek (there've been enough Trek games you can basically take your pick, ideally TNGish era) or Else Heart.Break() -- I might be just me, but I'm just a couple of tools away from real power in that universe.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Dreams.

I did not just cheat.

The pleasantries of Stardew Valley concern me, as anything 100% wholesome in my experience tends to be squirrelling a few dark secrets away somewhere. How many sex-pest dungeons are under houses there? Why are there never any tourists? It's all too suspect IMO.

Last edited:

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Video game? Haven't the faintest. All the ones I can think of are pretty crapsack worlds (I'm mostly playing Total War: Warhammer II at the moment and you couldn't pay me to live in that world as a regular human, while I'm a content creator for the Iron Kingdoms and with the Infernal invasion, that's pretty much just as bad). Maybe the world from Spiritfarer, then, as it's pretty safe, and lots of hugs to go around.

Overall, though? First thought was Mars/Aqua from Aria because it's so damned chill.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'd go with Saint's Row 2. Joining up with the Saints would get me access to their pretty kick-ass nightclub/stronghold, lots of heavy weaponry and some really cool cars. And there's always a Forgive and Forget nearby.
I mean could your real-life self actually have a shot at joining up with the Saints? That was the requirement, you don't get to be a fictional "cool" version of you, you are just you and you are not remarkable in compared to the charisma and capabilities of the "heroes" in these worlds typically.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Dreams.

I did not just cheat.

The pleasantries of Stardew Valley concern me, as anything 100% wholesome in my experience tends to be squirrelling a few dark secrets away somewhere. How many sex-pest dungeons are under houses there? Why are there never any tourists? It's all too suspect IMO.
Dreams... I would not enjoy life in a user-generated world. But yes Stardew is suspiciously twee, maybe that's another reason why I'd go with My Time at Portia. It is post-apocalypse. Everyone is only about a generation removed from survivors of a nuclear world war.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Dreams... I would not enjoy life in a user-generated world. But yes Stardew is suspiciously twee, maybe that's another reason why I'd go with My Time at Portia. It is post-apocalypse. Everyone is only about a generation removed from survivors of a nuclear world war.
Well, other people's worlds aren't why I'd choose to be in Dreams. It's to be able to create my own like an omnipotent god, mahahaha!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Dreams.

I did not just cheat.

Oh there's a surprising amount of edge in Stardew Valley.
Before your character's arrival in Stardew Valley they're a miserable corporate wage slave for the JoJa corporation whose products are inescapable even in the isolated valley.
In your second year Kent comes back to the village from fighting in a war, which has kind of messed him up.
The local store owner Pierre is probably a cuckold and the girl he thinks is his daughter is probably the Wizard's.
The last surviving members of long dead civilisations live in the sewers and the mountains..
The local ranch owner Marnie is her niece Jas's guardian for some undisclosed reason, and her depressed alcoholic nephew Shane also lives with her.
Pam and Penny live in a caravan, until you personally finance a house to be built for them.
Demetrius is Robin the blacksmith's second husband.
Clint the blacksmith pines for Emily but is too shy to say.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dreams.

I did not just cheat.

Funny you mention that. Did you know you can divorce your spouse? And then if you want to reset how they feel about you and want to remarry/date again, you can pay the witch to wipe his/her memory? Yep. Totally a thing you can do in the game. Totally not creepy at all.

Also, if you have kids and don't want them anymore, you can pay the witch to turn them into doves. And then nobody remember you ever had children. Which effectively a family friendly version of murder, but it's okay because they're irreversibly birds and not sleeping 6 feet under the soil....and also nobody remembers them so there's no legal or moral penalty.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I mean could your real-life self actually have a shot at joining up with the Saints? That was the requirement, you don't get to be a fictional "cool" version of you, you are just you and you are not remarkable in compared to the charisma and capabilities of the "heroes" in these worlds typically.
On the bright side, the Saints appear to be pretty welcoming who they recruit. Hell, they even recruit the members of the gangs they wipe out(implied).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Minecraft. Wouldn't have to work; just punch a few trees, dig a few holes, lack of architectural and engineering expertise be damned, I could make everything I need to survive.

Or maybe GTA V. Consequences for acts of overt violence and death being cash penalties and minor inconvenience in a world where cash is easily attainable and doing "fuck all" is mostly the point.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd probably go with the Homeworld universe. I'd love to be a Steve (Fuck Jeff, I'm with Steve!) in that reality.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Oh there's a surprising amount of edge in Stardew Valley.
Before your character's arrival in Stardew Valley they're a miserable corporate wage slave for the JoJa corporation whose products are inescapable even in the isolated valley.
In your second year Kent comes back to the village from fighting in a war, which has kind of messed him up.
The local store owner Pierre is probably a cuckold and the girl he thinks is his daughter is probably the Wizard's.
The last surviving members of long dead civilisations live in the sewers and the mountains..
The local ranch owner Marnie is her niece Jas's guardian for some undisclosed reason, and her depressed alcoholic nephew Shane also lives with her.
Pam and Penny live in a caravan, until you personally finance a house to be built for them.
Demetrius is Robin the blacksmith's second husband.
Clint the blacksmith pines for Emily but is too shy to say.
Plus Pam is a functioning alcoholic, which makes you feel great about taking the bus she drives.
The Mayor is a crook. He has been funneling village funds for his own desires, see the solid gold statue of himself as well as shaking down the businesses in town for money.
Marnie and the Mayor are secretly seeing each other. Though why its a secret, I have no idea as they are both single and consenting adults.

Dreams.

I did not just cheat.

In fairness, you do get tourists for a couple of the festivals throughout the year, I guess the place isn't worth bothering about any other time of the year. Believe me, I used to live in Lincolnshire, places like this exist.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Marnie and the Mayor are secretly seeing each other. Though why its a secret, I have no idea as they are both single and consenting adults.
Yeah, I didn't get that either. Why do they think anyone cares if they're seeing each other?

And in a town that small, I'd be surprised if everyone didn't already know.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What about Animal Crossing? It's like the crippling debt of real life, except with animal people.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Possibly. I don’t know the actual requirements for being a Saint other than wear purple and get cannonized(beat in). There’s no way I can hold a candle to Gat or Boss, but I think I could match puffy jacket guy or jersey wearing guy.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Possibly. I don’t know the actual requirements for being a Saint other than wear purple and get cannonized(beat in). There’s no way I can hold a candle to Gat or Boss, but I think I could match puffy jacket guy or jersey wearing guy.
Everyone wants to be puffy jacket guy, it's really sad who kids look up too these days :)