What fighting game(s) did you guys play to make you hate fighting games so much?

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I never stopped liking fighting games, and I still play them regularly to this day. But I admit there are a couple things I loath about the genre, and all of my complaints can be traced back to Marvel Vs Capcom 3.
1) Seeing the same characters over and over and over. I get that tiers affect gameplay and people's choices, but I'm tired of facing nothing but one guy on repeat. Wesker, I'm looking at you.
2) Pricing. Most fighting games have ludicrously expensive DLC and expansions. Skullgirls and maybe Killer Instinct are the only ones I can think of that have a decent price tag. Most of them are borderline exploitive. Ultimate MVC3 was the big one for me.
3) Ultra long combos. This is the real sticking point for me. When you get combo'd in a fighting game, you might as well go out and make a sandwich because the combo will still be going when you get back. And unless the game has a combo breaker mechanic, which don't work most of the time anyway, there's jack all you can do about it except hold back on the stick and spam the tech button hoping the opponent will mess up. It's just horrible game design. Back when I played MVC3, I would roll my eyes every time I faced Dante because he had one combo that everyone used that was literally over a minute long. The individual hits didn't even do that much damage, but it just kept going and going and going. And the moment it ended, he could just run forward and start it again.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
garjian said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
The last one I played and enjoyed was Mortal Kombat 2. Yeah, that far back. After that, I didn't get into any other, but played Soul Caliber 2 (or 3, can't remember). It made me realise I wasn't good with analogue sticks for special moves (it was on the 360, so don't even try and mention the D-pad), and I never really had a chance to learn how to play, so from there I just stayed away from fighting games.
If it was on the 360, it would have to be the re-release of Soulcalibur 2, but that was fairly recent.
Still, Soulcalibur doesn't have "special moves" really. Even with the sheer amount of attacks in Soulcalibur 2, I'm sure about half of the characters had nothing like a quarter-circle motion.

I will now try to mention the d-pad... I've been playing Soulcalibur with those d-pads since SCIV was released, I won't tell you I've never gotten an errant diagonal, but very rarely.

Gearhead mk2 said:
3) Ultra long combos. This is the real sticking point for me. When you get combo'd in a fighting game, you might as well go out and make a sandwich because the combo will still be going when you get back. And unless the game has a combo breaker mechanic, which don't work most of the time anyway, there's jack all you can do about it except hold back on the stick and spam the tech button hoping the opponent will mess up. It's just horrible game design. Back when I played MVC3, I would roll my eyes every time I faced Dante because he had one combo that everyone used that was literally over a minute long. The individual hits didn't even do that much damage, but it just kept going and going and going. And the moment it ended, he could just run forward and start it again.
I agree, it is horrible design.
One player is reciting a combo they've done a thousand times, they're often making no decisions. The other player is simply waiting for it to end, having no real input.
That is why combo heavy fighters give mechanics like Bursts or ways to use meter to get out of combos so players can have some control over the match at all times.

And even the one who is doing a combo is making decisions. To use a meter or not to finish the combo with special attack is one of those decisions. And sometimes it's better to drop a combo in certain point so you and your enemy are in favorable position after it.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
SquallTheBlade said:
That is why combo heavy fighters give mechanics like Bursts or ways to use meter to get out of combos so players can have some control over the match at all times.

And even the one who is doing a combo is making decisions. To use a meter or not to finish the combo with special attack is one of those decisions. And sometimes it's better to drop a combo in certain point so you and your enemy are in favorable position after it.
Yeah, breakers are a good thing, but you can have those without combos that last so long.
Meter usage is a decision, but doesn't really change but it doesn't help the issue of mindlessly reciting what comes before it. Thinking back to Marvel, you can decide to do a level 3 or level 1, but you've still had to go through the old MMHS MMHS OTG beforehand, and that's still a wasted period.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
altnameJag said:
1) The tutorials are ass. Seriously, the best you get is the training room with a dummy and a screen prompt. "Hey, do a guard cancel, here's how" it says. "Ok," I say, "what's a guard cancel and what do you use it for?" "Now do this other thing" the game replies.
This is why, despite the fact that I am a fighting fan, Soul Calibur 2 is the only fighting game I've ever played with a good tutorial. Weapon Master mode in that game plays as a single player, pseudo-adventure mode. You go from one challenge on the map to the next, sometimes going back to older levels for a new challenge, while getting a bit of an overarching story, and unlocking new weapons. So in that sense you have a feeling of progress aside from just learning the game. But the challenges also gradually teach you the game. It will start off simple with things like, "beat this opponent." As you progress though, they get more specific.

They might have a challenge where they tell you what a guard break is and that they want you to use it (in this instance, an attack which breaks through your opponents block). You can always look up every move in the pause menu and they will specifically tell you which ones will break the opponents guard. And then the opponent you fight will be one that can't be damaged except when you break their guard first with one of those moves. So you'll learn what a guard break is, how to execute one, when to use it, and also how to follow up into a combo from one after you perform it since you want to keep that damage going.

No half assed explanations, no hiding moves from you, and no stationary training dummies. Just a clear challenge with an opponent who fights back and a win condition that can only be met by not only succeeding once by mistake, but by learning it well enough to win a full match. Some of these challenges may take a while to complete, but you're never frustrated by a lack of knowledge or understanding. By the time you complete that mode, if you aren't halfway decent with your chosen character, well, then you never actually beat Weapon Master mode to be honest making you a big fat liar.

Sadly, I've never seen a fighting game with that good a training mode ever since. Soul Calibur 3 didn't even have it, and I didn't play the later ones.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Vivi22 said:
I did like me some Soul Calibur 2 and Weapon Master mode was a big reason for it.

Talim and Link were the other two reasons. :D

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Dead or Alive 5, STrekken, Super Street Fighter 4, Virtual Fighter 5 and Blazblue (all iterations) are good reasons to hate fighting games.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Sadly, I've never seen a fighting game with that good a training mode ever since. Soul Calibur 3 didn't even have it, and I didn't play the later ones.
DOA5's story campaign actually works pretty well as a training mode, especially with the optional challenges you had for each fight (I'm talking about the first release for the 360, they separated out the challenges for the last round version and kind of ruined it). By the end of it, I found it had trained me well enough to take on a moderately skilled human opponent. They put a lot of work into getting the game to fight like competitive players at the higher skills levels.

OT: For single player, probably Soul Calibur 2 and Arcana Hearts. I hate super cheap bosses and AI that simply reads controller input. For multiplayer, pretty much any of them. Aside from friends, the community is super toxic and rather than fun it always seems to be just about bullying lesser-skilled players.

I play fighters to have fun and I strongly dislike utterly destroying other players (I often sandbag just so the match is more enjoyable for both sides; I don't mind losing). With the way so many fighters use juggling these days, it takes a lot of the fun out of it when a match is basically decided by about three hits, with everything else just being busywork once the opponent is airborne.

I still play fighting games, but I mostly focus on smash bros and doa and only play with friends. Smash bros has enough randomness to it and the ai tends to even things out between players of differing skill. Doa has that nice counter system so it's possible to break combos and keep the action focused on being a really high speed match of rock paper scissors (although it's still too focused on juggling for my taste). But as far as other stuff like mortal kombat, street fighter, and marvel vs? No way.

I miss bushido blade.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Mortal Kombat (SNES) and then later confirmed by Killer Instinct and far later confirmed by a Soul Caliber game.

I gradually learned Street Fighter and became accustomed to many of the characters. Once I achieved that level level of success I felt any other fighter prohibitive by comparison.

Mortal Kombat was particularly bad because the most fun part of it (the fatalities) required button press combo's and memorization. It completely sucked the fun out of the experience for me. I get that MK purists hate the concept of 'one button' fatalities in MK10 but in my opinion that's how it should have been from the start (minus the microtransaction aspect of course). Even though MK10's fatalities are laughably easy to perform they still require placement and memorization of inputs. It's needlessly restrictive.

I personally feel that ALL fighters should have streamlined, simple special moves for all characters. Every input is identical for each character but performs that character specific move. As a result, the learning curve of these games drops tenfold since players KNOW how to do the moves and just need to learn how to best use them.

I'm not a fighting game pro (clearly) so that's where my opinion ends on the matter. I'm not skilled enough to do massive complex combos or combo breaks or those other advanced techniques but I'm perfectly fine with them being an important part of the pro-level play.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I don't hate fighting games, I rather enjoy them. Tekken 3 remains one of my all time nostalgia trip games despite never owning it. But I can understand why people might be turned off of them.

1. They're not really meant for single player. When a game is specifically about mastering button inputs, timing, spacing and such, giving that task to a computer AI is like giving it a math problem: it will always execute it perfectly, no matter the circumistances. People, on the other hand, make mistakes. They panic, they get angry, they get excited, they lose focus, and all of that affects how well they play. Playing with another human next to you is what fighting games originated in, and how they're supposed to be played.

2. Depending on what or who you're playing against, the skill requirement to be competitive can be insane, and past a certain point the game stops being fun. I tried TTT2's online multiplayer once, and never went back. After giving up on the Ghost mode when the AI just spammed ludicrous tag combos that wiped out 85% of your health with no ability to defend yourself, I thought maybe the humans would be more fun to play against. Nope. I can only imagine what kind of person would practice on their characters so long that they could pull off the insanity I witnessed. I went "No, fuck that, I still have something to live for, screw this".

3. The focus on a single game element (which, like many gaming genres, is a remnant of the limitations of technology from the past), in this case combat, can make the game feel incomplete, as I've understood Yahtzee feels. Since there is no connecting narrative or story, it can be hard to get attached to the characters. Since there's no cohesive world the game takes place in, just a bunch of disjointed maps, the game can be hard to grasp. And there being absolutely no other gameplay elements like puzzles, navigation, exploration or use of the evironment, the game can be too singular and niche for people who enjoy more general experiences.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
garjian said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
The last one I played and enjoyed was Mortal Kombat 2. Yeah, that far back. After that, I didn't get into any other, but played Soul Caliber 2 (or 3, can't remember). It made me realise I wasn't good with analogue sticks for special moves (it was on the 360, so don't even try and mention the D-pad), and I never really had a chance to learn how to play, so from there I just stayed away from fighting games.
If it was on the 360, it would have to be the re-release of Soulcalibur 2, but that was fairly recent.
Still, Soulcalibur doesn't have "special moves" really. Even with the sheer amount of attacks in Soulcalibur 2, I'm sure about half of the characters had nothing like a quarter-circle motion.

I will now try to mention the d-pad... I've been playing Soulcalibur with those d-pads since SCIV was released, I won't tell you I've never gotten an errant diagonal, but very rarely.
Well I personally never managed to do well with the 360's D-pad. As for the lack of special moves, I also include combo in that. The best I could ever do was that move Nightmare has where he does a small side spin and slams his sword into the enemy like a hammer. Well I wasn't good at it.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
garjian said:
One player is reciting a combo they've done a thousand times, they're often making no decisions. The other player is simply waiting for it to end, having no real input.

That's true of Marvel and Skullgirls, and a few others, but not all.
Soulcalibur, combos are rarely more than 3 or 4 attacks. The player doing the combo sometimes has a few different options to end with for spacing, and the player receiving well... beyond air control and ukemi, they're still not doing much, but at least you're not out of the game for more than a couple of seconds and you actually have to pay some attention.
I used to play UMvC3 myself, but I got so sick of Magneto's Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy combos that I completely stopped playing not long before SCV came out.

I'm in the early stages of making a little fighting game myself right now, as ridiculous as that ambition is, and it's something I'm very conscious of. I don't like the idea of having a BnB combo that's outright the best option, because you'll see it so often that it'll get boring, and I really don't like the idea of a player having no input for large portion of the game.
The best part of a fighting game is trying to outwit each other, and it's baffling to me that many of them waste so much time on the boring parts where nobody is really doing anything.
For someone making a fighting game you sure don't understand what combos really work like or what goes through the head of the player pulling them off. I see lots of factual errors here.

Every combo in every game that is good is done while taking into consideration spacing and knockdown and such factors. Because a combo is long it doesn't mean it's thoughtless. The notion is ridiculous. Longer combos take THAT MUCH MORE thought to properly pull off, with countless micro-delays to account for situational screen placement or general height adjustments etc. being commonplace. Usually, combos are either ones done to cause hard knockdown and end in such a way that allows you to attack someone as soon as they're recovering, or, they forgo this better positioning for the sake of maximizing damage in the hopes of killing someone off. Marvel is a horrible game and thus not the best example for a "combo heavy game" you could mention. Look into something like Blazblue to find a better example of a game with combos.

If you think you do nothing when being comboed, you haven't played a game to the level where you have to watch how you recover and how you air ukemi to avoid being reset. There's TONS of moments in combos where the attacker can let the combo purposefully drop, allowing you to ukemi in a bad position, then resetting you into ANOTHER full combo, rather than just finishing the first combo off. The defender has to watch for those situations and decide if it's worth it to try to ukemi or not and sacrifice positioning to avoid the reset risk while also deciding how they wish to tech after the combo ends and the timing with which they'll perform their first action after teching when they're being forced to receive the wakeup mixup. It's a LOT of stuff to deal with. If you haven't had anything to do or think of when being comboed in the past you hadn't been playing the game in a particularly high level I'm afraid or you never played some of the better 2D fighting games out there. Try blazblue or guilty gear or under night in birth for examples of good ones.

BnBs are supposed to be boring, they're there to help people who are learning the ropes to get a basic thing which does ok damage and gives them knockdown. You wanna focus on the non-bnb situational combos which occur in more uncommon instances and bring the actual excitement to the game. Those are the most fun.

babinro said:
I personally feel that ALL fighters should have streamlined, simple special moves for all characters. Every input is identical for each character but performs that character specific move. As a result, the learning curve of these games drops tenfold since players KNOW how to do the moves and just need to learn how to best use them.
The thing is, that's already the case in most 2D fighters. It's not one-button-specials but the inputs you have to memorize are the same inputs that work in every fighting game so if you learn to do a Hadouken input in SF you will also be able to do that input in every other fighting game and they all use this input.

People are just intimidated for no reason without giving it any time. We're already used to the game controller buttons but we weren't born used to them. We played enough so that it became the case that it feels natural to, say, jump with X on a PS controller. Well, if you actually play fighting games for a bit you will become accustomed to the directional inputs and find that if you can do them in one fighting game that you're set for life.

They also tend to be the same for similar-functioning moves too, so, for example, Hadouken's input is the same input that MANY other characters use to do their projectiles. The uppercut input is also shared with many different moves which all have startup invincibility and finally the hurricane kick input is also shared among moves which cover a large distance and move forward.

If you play a few games you'll begin noticing these things and they will make it a lot easier to become accustomed to them. You just have to actually try a bit. You sometimes can even figure out the input of a special move by examining the properties of it, without even opening the movelist. That's actually MORE accessible than a Smash game.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Dreiko said:
garjian said:

That's true of Marvel and Skullgirls, and a few others, but not all.
Soulcalibur, combos are rarely more than 3 or 4 attacks. The player doing the combo sometimes has a few different options to end with for spacing, and the player receiving well... beyond air control and ukemi, they're still not doing much, but at least you're not out of the game for more than a couple of seconds and you actually have to pay some attention.
I used to play UMvC3 myself, but I got so sick of Magneto's Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy combos that I completely stopped playing not long before SCV came out.

I'm in the early stages of making a little fighting game myself right now, as ridiculous as that ambition is, and it's something I'm very conscious of. I don't like the idea of having a BnB combo that's outright the best option, because you'll see it so often that it'll get boring, and I really don't like the idea of a player having no input for large portion of the game.
The best part of a fighting game is trying to outwit each other, and it's baffling to me that many of them waste so much time on the boring parts where nobody is really doing anything.
For someone making a fighting game you sure don't understand what combos really work like or what goes through the head of the player pulling them off. I see lots of factual errors here.

Every combo in every game that is good is done while taking into consideration spacing and knockdown and such factors. Because a combo is long it doesn't mean it's thoughtless. The notion is ridiculous. Longer combos take THAT MUCH MORE thought to properly pull off, with countless micro-delays to account for situational screen placement or general height adjustments etc. being commonplace. Usually, combos are either ones done to cause hard knockdown and end in such a way that allows you to attack someone as soon as they're recovering, or, they forgo this better positioning for the sake of maximizing damage in the hopes of killing someone off. Marvel is a horrible game and thus not the best example for a "combo heavy game" you could mention. Look into something like Blazblue to find a better example of a game with combos.

If you think you do nothing when being comboed, you haven't played a game to the level where you have to watch how you recover and how you air ukemi to avoid being reset. There's TONS of moments in combos where the attacker can let the combo purposefully drop, allowing you to ukemi in a bad position, then resetting you into ANOTHER full combo, rather than just finishing the first combo off. The defender has to watch for those situations and decide if it's worth it to try to ukemi or not and sacrifice positioning to avoid the reset risk while also deciding how they wish to tech after the combo ends and the timing with which they'll perform their first action after teching when they're being forced to receive the wakeup mixup. It's a LOT of stuff to deal with. If you haven't had anything to do or think of when being comboed in the past you hadn't been playing the game in a particularly high level I'm afraid or you never played some of the better 2D fighting games out there. Try blazblue or guilty gear or under night in birth for examples of good ones.

BnBs are supposed to be boring, they're there to help people who are learning the ropes to get a basic thing which does ok damage and gives them knockdown. You wanna focus on the non-bnb situational combos which occur in more uncommon instances and bring the actual excitement to the game. Those are the most fun.
Nonsense.
The point is that there is a lot of needless fluff. You can have different ends for different situations (spacing, damage, etc.) in a combo consisting of 2 hits, just by having multiple things that can connect from the first hit. You don't need 40.
All this "micro-delay" nonsense means nothing outside of practice mode, neither to the viewer nor either player. As soon as it's in muscle memory, it's just regurgitating it and yes, that is mindless.

You're not watching how you recover when they're going through to motion to rack up the damage before getting the the part where they reset. Back to Marvel 3, the only thing you'd sacrifice to do a reset is a super, where instead you would air grab their recovery... They've still had to sit through at least 2 air combos and god knows how many other excessive attacks.

There is never a need to waste time on anything even as little as a 7-attack combo, if neither of you have a decision to make on every hit.
What's important is whether or not you can hit confirm, where the opponent is at the end (both in respect to the attacker and the stage), damage, meter cost, and reset potential. You can get all of those things in a combo with 2-3 attacks in it, and there's rarely a need to go higher.
The idea of a BnB where doing the most damage also puts them enemy in the most ideal place for the character is terrible. There would almost never be a reason to not use it, and it's boring for both the audience and players, especially if that combo takes upwards of 5 seconds to perform. These are used all the way up, and have nothing to do with a player being new.

An example of pointless fluff even from a game that doesn't have much.
In SCV, Viola's options from a successful 3B are:
3B AAB 66B 66A+B - Most damage, but bad recovery
3B AAB 2A+B - Low damage, but great recovery
3B AAB 6A+B - Even lower damage, but pushes the opponent very far away

Why does the AAB need to be there? What value does it add when it is by far and away the best thing to follow SET 3B with in any situation, even with meter, and it has long enough recovery to not require hit confirming? Why not just make 3B connect to the available follow-ups itself, instead of wasting a good second watching AAB happen?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
garjian said:
Nonsense.
The point is that there is a lot of needless fluff. You can have different ends for different situations (spacing, damage, etc.) in a combo consisting of 2 hits, just by having multiple things that can connect from the first hit. You don't need 40.
All this "micro-delay" nonsense means nothing outside of practice mode, neither to the viewer nor either player. As soon as it's in muscle memory, it's just regurgitating it and yes, that is mindless.
With longer combos there is always a higher chance that you drop it. Pulling off long combos COCSISTENTLY is a skill which will improve your gameplay. To the viewer it's like: "Can he pull this off? will he drop it?" and both cases can be as entertaining to see.

And about "micro-delays". When I play Lambda in BB:CSEX I have to always focus on my timing. Depending on what character I play against and from what position I start my comboes I need to make sure I time my attacks right. If I didn't I'd propably drop the combo half of the time. The timing isn't in my muscle memory but the buttons I need to use are so to speak.

An example of pointless fluff even from a game that doesn't have much.
In SCV, Viola's options from a successful 3B are:
3B AAB 66B 66A+B - Most damage, but bad recovery
3B AAB 2A+B - Low damage, but great recovery
3B AAB 6A+B - Even lower damage, but pushes the opponent very far away

Why does the AAB need to be there? What value does it add when it is by far and away the best thing to follow SET 3B with in any situation, even with meter, and it has long enough recovery to not require hit confirming? Why not just make 3B connect to the available follow-ups itself, instead of wasting a good second watching AAB happen?
Because AAB can be dropped just like any other part of the combo. And I'd guess AAB is there to make sure the enemy is in right position to do follow up attacks? It's hardly unnecessary.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
SquallTheBlade said:
Because AAB can be dropped just like any other part of the combo. And I'd guess AAB is there to make sure the enemy is in right position to do follow up attacks? It's hardly unnecessary.
I've never dropped it in 2 years of play with her as my main. It is the simplest of inputs. X X RB (I use my meter button because it's just that much easier to do).
The only time it ever fails is when the property it has that nullifies air control bugs out and they manage to air control where they aren't supposed to be able to, because yeah, they had to break their own rules to get it to work in the first place.

One thing it does do is change her stance, from "SET" to "ORB", but 2A+B and 6A+B change it back anyway. The same effect could be achieved by giving 3B the B part of AAB as a followup. Much faster, less people feeling like they're being juggled in a SC game, and it would be slow enough to not effect how punishable 3B is on block.

This will all come across as awkward retrofitting, but if she were designed to not waste that time from the outset, it wouldn't be.

Viola has other issues, particularly with the meter use is used to extend combos with repetitive loops. The player on the receiving end can't actually do anything (if they try to tech they still get hit, but it resets the juggle counter, so the only input they can have actually makes things worse), when it could just be straight more damage, over and done with, back in the action.
There is kind of a reset available, but it's right at the end of the loop, so it doesn't change the combo, and you lose so little damage because of the scaling at that point that it is the best option if it wouldn't finish them off, so it is the BnB anyway.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I'm not a big fighting game guy. Just not my cuppa tea.

However, the Soul Caliber series will never... Be as good as the original Soul Blade. Even though they removed that cheap speedy ************, Li Long.

As for other fighting games... They just seem, dull. I just think I don't have the patience to learn the move-lists. They're not bad games, they just don't appeal to me.

Rizil

Sep 5, 2014
Ok so skimming through this thread, I can say that a lot of people here, though not everyone, I feel is just getting over-intimidated by fighting games. You're gonna lose, it happens. Keep playing and learning and you get better. It's a natural progression. Some tips I can give as someone who goes to tourneys and actually puts down the $10 to fight.

1) Don't worry too much about combos early on. Learn NEUTRAL. For those who don't know, neutral is when no person is attacking or defending. Each person is just kinda moving around looking for an opening. These consists of what's called "pokes" or long reaching attacks that don't combo, but keep your opponent at bay, so they don't rush you down.

2) Learn from your losses. If you find yourself getting beaten down a lot, ask for advice. Make youtube vids of yourself playing and post them up. Try to get other people's perspective and maybe they might give some advice that can help you out. Fighting games traditionally are very deep, and although it may look like a Ryu is just spamming fireballs, there is a reason for it. Ask around, and you will learn. (Btw Ryu spamming fireballs is traditionally what we call "zoning" a tactic used to keep an opponent at a far distance while yourself staying relatively safe.)

3) Don't sweat the loudmouths. There are jerks in every community, and the fighting game community is no different. But for every jerk, there's usually 5-10 really cool genuine people. Just ignore them and move on. That being said, try not to be the jerk yourself.

4) Keep playing. Fighting games is all about getting knocked off that horse, and getting right back on. I still get trounced by the guys I play with when I go to locals (mostly because I play with the guy who won EVO for Skullgirls last year :p) so don't fear failure, rather push yourself to get better. Just farting around in training mode just doing random crap can sometimes lead to an accidental discovery that you can use.

This is just my thoughts on how maybe those turned off by the genre maybe might want to give it another shot. Remember, it's only a loss if you've learned nothing from it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Rizil said:
2) Learn from your losses. If you find yourself getting beaten down a lot, ask for advice. Make youtube vids of yourself playing and post them up. Try to get other people's perspective and maybe they might give some advice that can help you out. Fighting games traditionally are very deep, and although it may look like a Ryu is just spamming fireballs, there is a reason for it. Ask around, and you will learn. (Btw Ryu spamming fireballs is traditionally what we call "zoning" a tactic used to keep an opponent at a far distance while yourself staying relatively safe.)

3) Don't sweat the loudmouths. There are jerks in every community, and the fighting game community is no different. But for every jerk, there's usually 5-10 really cool genuine people. Just ignore them and move on. That being said, try not to be the jerk yourself.

4) Keep playing. Fighting games is all about getting knocked off that horse, and getting right back on. I still get trounced by the guys I play with when I go to locals (mostly because I play with the guy who won EVO for Skullgirls last year :p) so don't fear failure, rather push yourself to get better. Just farting around in training mode just doing random crap can sometimes lead to an accidental discovery that you can use.

This is just my thoughts on how maybe those turned off by the genre maybe might want to give it another shot. Remember, it's only a loss if you've learned nothing from it.
Honestly, as big a thing as the Souls series is around here, you'd think people would've picked up these three in particular up(honestly can't say I'm a fan of most of the gameplay though, mostly because I hate fighting annoying mooks, but I do like the batshit insane camera, lore, and atmosphere they all create).

Fighting games are highly competitive games for a reason, they've got alot of depth to them and you're never gonna be the best, hell, I remember a couple of Smash and Guilty Gear pros saying they hate being at the top because it means they don't have nearly as many opportunities to learn anymore.

Playing a fighter is never really about winning, it's about gettin' gud and figuring out that in a roster of upwards of 30 characters(or literally infinity in the case of MUGEN, I'm talking they've had DaVinci v Homer Simpson before), the one you love the most is unique in some way, Slayer's got one of the shortest ranges in GG, but the potential for the best combos and juggling that don't need the walls of the stage. Ganon can even up the percentage bars when he's over 150 in one combo half the time, a good Sheik you'll barely touch unless you're an equally good Fox, Diddy, or Jr, If you fight Little Mac in a straight up fight on the stage, you will ALWAYS lose. And Poison will always be the projectile BullshitBitchQueen that I happily beat down with the manliest of boxers, Dudley every chance I get.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I loved Marvel vs. Capcom when I was a kid, but that's about it.

I dislike fighting games for the same reason I dislike COD. I don't like competitive multiplayer titles, and I don't like games without a plot. They don't mesh with my tastes. I assume lots of people feel that way.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Fox12 said:
Well, I loved Marvel vs. Capcom when I was a kid, but that's about it.

I dislike fighting games for the same reason I dislike COD. I don't like competitive multiplayer titles, and I don't like games without a plot. They don't mesh with my tastes. I assume lots of people feel that way.
What fighting games have you been playing then...I'll grant you the competitive aspect, it's not for everyone, but nearly every one of them have individual character arcs that are incorporated into the main story of the game...Well, except for the recent MK games really.

Which is really weird, because their story modes are like a fifth the length of most other titles and barely give you enough time to get comfortable with a character, let alone figure out if you can do anything with them beyond button spam and with incredibly simple Kung Fu B-movie plots(not bashing them, they're fun, they just don't have all that much depth compared to alot of fighters that aren't Smash) and yet you keep getting people praising them for it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Rise of the Robots 2. Worse fighting game ever. Seriously though it was a DOA game I had rented from Blockbusters. Just found it really hard to block or land a hit - very tricky. I now stick to Mortal Kombat and Soul Blade/Caliber games.
I had that piece of trash on my Saturn. Even the awesome Saturn controller couldn't make Resurrection: Rise 2 playable.
It also has the most boring title ever. Seriously, they even put the subtitle above the title. Who does that!