What forgotten game/IP do you wish to be revived for the current-gen?

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Star Tropics, its been 21 years since the second game, because the 3DS is where JRPGs go to win at life.

A new Chrono series game would also kick a lot of ass.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
Gladius is one of the games that most people haven't played, but everyone I've met that has played it loved it. I'd love to see it finally get a sequel, but with LucasArts disolved I'm not entirely sure who owns the rights.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Golden Sun. I'm not sure it's really forgotten, but it took six years to produce the third game after the second and it didn't sell quite so spectacular (still a good game, if you ask me). The third ended on a massive cliffhanger and the after effects of the second game are still quite relevant. The main antagnoist is still up and active, potentially with godhood within reach. I love the series so much and really hope Camelot stops with the mario sports games and returns to finish the series properly.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Wow, some abnormal love for the Manhunt series. Manhunt is my second choice for this idea, although I feel Manhunt needs some extensive overhauling if it were to be brought back, as much as I like the games they are extremely shallow in gameplay.

My first choice is a game that just needs a mod, not really a remake. I want to be able to play Second Sight again. It was an incredible game from the PS2 era and it did have a PC port on steam for a while (pretty sure its unavailable on Steam now). Only problem was the PC port was beyond substandard. I am not really too picky about PC ports, I don't care if I get extensive graphics options, I just want to be able to rebind and get the proper resolution. I personally don't mind when games lock at 30FPS (It's wrong to do this but it isn't a deal breaker for me). But Second Sight had almost nothing, it had no widescreen support, super low resolution options, and basically no rebinding of the controls. It was a mess. I would really like to see a remastered sort of Second Sight thing released. I know it will never happen since Second Sight isn't a series (Any sequels would essentially miss the point) but I wish I could at least enjoy playing it again, as it stands it has no replayability since its so frustrating to play on PC.

Totally agree with the Manhunt suggestion though, although I'm iffy about remaking Manhunt 1 since a key strength of Manhunt 1 was how the story and gameplay linked, but by any metric the gameplay was really pretty bad in Manhunt 1 so updating the gameplay might directly make the story less compelling.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Vagrant Story. It was a really fun game, with an interesting combat/platforming mixture. And I really found the story interesting, with a clever twist at the end. It ended with a story hook for a sequel game, but it never happened.

Mark of Kri. Hot damn I loved this game. It was so atmospheric and FUN. WOuld love to see more.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Starflight...

I'm sure many of you wouldn't even know what that is...

But basically you could fly around in a huge universe, fight, talk and trade with aliens, explore planets (and mine them)...

It even had a bizarre plot involving time travel and other stuff, which you figured out by visiting the right locations, and talking to the appropriate aliens.

I've heard it said that Mass Effect is probably the closest modern day equivalent...

Sure, StarFlight is really primitive by modern standards, but it had procedurally generated planets and a universe much, much bigger and in some regards more detailed than modern games do.

It was fascinating, and a just a little confusing... XD

But it would be fun to see what you could make of a premise like that with modern technology...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Starflight...
OH hells yes I remember that game. It was one of the first video games I remember playing as a kid. My older brother and I would go to my dad's office and play it there, with the massive floppy disks, for HOURS at night. That game was so addictive. I think I was probably 6-7 when we were playing it. I recently bought Elite: Dangerous, and it's a really ambitious game. Massive galaxy to fly around in, you might check it out as a successor to Starflight. I'm enjoying it so far.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Starflight...
OH hells yes I remember that game. It was one of the first video games I remember playing as a kid. My older brother and I would go to my dad's office and play it there, with the massive floppy disks, for HOURS at night. That game was so addictive. I think I was probably 6-7 when we were playing it. I recently bought Elite: Dangerous, and it's a really ambitious game. Massive galaxy to fly around in, you might check it out as a successor to Starflight. I'm enjoying it so far.
I might do. I've had a lot of fun playing X3, which doesn't quite do it in the same way, but isn't too bad...

We need more procedurally generated content. Even recent games prove that. (Just look at minecraft. XD)

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Road Rash. I think that would be a fun waste of time. Always loved the cut scenes depending on how well or poorly you did. Could be stylized or more realistic, either way, I'd love to see another one.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
the_great_cessation said:
A sequel to Beyond Good and Evil (seriously...it's been over ten years now and it ended on a cliffhanger...)and either a reboot, remake or sequel to Jet Force Gemini.
We need a new Jet Force Gemini. Really do. That game was a whole lot of fun, even if it was frustrating as fuck at times.
The other childhood gem of mine was Astro Boy: Omega Factor. It was a fun game that was like an extended arcade game really. Side scrolling brawler action, like a Megaman. But better in my eyes. Actually. Now I think about it Astro Boy is very similar to Megaman. The game is very robot orientated as it should be. But it just had a better story in my opinion. I played that gameboy advance cartridge till it broke.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I know I'm in the minority and the game hasn't aged well but, rock and roll racing ...

It started off as a bit micro machines but red asphalt was a nice car combat game. Very dark and twisted, with excellent videos about each car (or hovercraft, in the case of knight mare. I also remember a tank), that looked like they were trying to sell you the car.

For a car combat game it had a nice atmosphere, like twisted metal but less insane.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Metal arm glitch in the system
Timesplitters
Star Wars Republic Commando (Hell I just want top be back to the extreme quality of star wars games of old)

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I think alot of people are mentioning games that don't REALLY need a reboot I mean what needs to be finished about the story of Suikoden exactly, or Jax and Dexter or battle toads (wtf?). Games that need reboots are games that aren't having their particular niche filled by anyone out there. So heres my off the top of my head.

Tenchu
Armored Core
Legacy of Kain
Metroid Prime (not any sort of metroidvania style. TONS of those out there atm)
I have no mouth and I must Scream. (Yes thats a game)

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Well, all my thoughts have been ninja'd, so I'll just add to the chorus.

Prince of Persia = It's been 7 years since the 2008 reboot, and 9 years since The Two Thrones. Yes, I know "Assassin's Creed...spiritual successor...blah blah blah..." The AAA landscape would benefit from a game more focused on acrobatic parkour and fast, acrobatic combat that puts the player in the proactive role.

Legacy of Kain = That a game with such great characters, amazing voice acting, and a fascinating world is laying fallow (save for a F2P arena combat game...which is just...yeah I don't wanna talk about that) is a crime against the gaming medium.

Metroid = Super Metroid was a timeless classic. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission didn't live up, but we're still great. Prime 1 was great. Prime 2 was almost great. Prime 3 was fun, unique, and a good end to the trilogy. Other M was...well, it was Other M. So it's been 8 years since the last decent Metroid game. An HD game on WiiU in the style of Prime or even a 2.5D style game in the vein of Super Metroid is just what we need to cleanse Other M from our mental palettes. It's what the Metroid name deserves Nintendo, and deep down, you know it.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
I'd really like to see a new Black & White game, or maybe not even a new one, just the first one with better graphics and a working multiplayer would be awesome. Either that or Battlezone.

Also a HD remaster or a re-release (possibly a PC port even but that's being greedy) of Conker's bad fur day would really be a dream come true.

Adam3s said:
Space Station Silicon Valley, I know the company that made it is too busy with a slightly more successful franchise but C'mon!
Holy hell, I totally forgot about that one! That game was a ton of fun with its strange game mechanics and crazy animals. They just don't make stuff like that anymore...

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Rock and Roll Racing.
Good music, fun game play, racing, destruction and it's owned by Blizzard so if they made it, it'd be good, ya?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Scorpid said:
I think alot of people are mentioning games that don't REALLY need a reboot I mean what needs to be finished about the story of Suikoden exactly, or Jax and Dexter or battle toads (wtf?). Games that need reboots are games that aren't having their particular niche filled by anyone out there. So heres my off the top of my head.
Well the OP didn't specifically say a reboot, just IP's that we would like to see put out new product. It doesn't have to be a total reboot.

Scorpid said:
Hell yes, I'd love to see more of the Tenchu games. They were such fun as a stealther series, it was a shame they didn't seem to maintain a fan base large enough to make them profitable. Ah well.