What franchise has gone down hill the most?

Tsar bomba

Jun 27, 2011
I was just thinking, what game franchise has went to the crapper and never came back from it without being raped?

ex: Call of Duty and the copy-paste multiplayer style.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Final Fantasy. There's just no contest at all. Sure, Call of Duty may be copy paste, but that's what the fanboys love. Squeenix, on the other hand, has decided to kick their fans in the collective balls repeatedly ever since Final Fantasy X.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Duke Nukem, with DNF. The developers thought it wouldn't go down hill fast enough so they changed 95% of what the series was, adding in all the different things that were bad from several other shooter series so that it would be at the bottom of the hill from the start.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Uhm, Sonic the Hedgehog anyone? However. Both Colors and 4 are awesome, so, bit of a comeback.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
I'll vouch for Final Fantasy. It has been terrible ever since VII with the partial exception for XII, only because of the leveling and combat system.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Austin Howe said:
Uhm, Sonic the Hedgehog anyone? However. Both Colors and 4 are awesome, so, bit of a comeback.
Now, if we can get generations at least on par with colors, we may be seeing a slow recovery for the poor rodent.

*prays*

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
PlasmaFrog said:
I'll vouch for Final Fantasy. It has been terrible ever since VII with the partial exception for XII, only because of the leveling and combat system.
This.

Or Pokemon.

Or Sonic.

Or Half-life.

Or most things.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
TheLiham said:
Or Pokemon.

Or Sonic.

Or Half-life.

Or most things.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

*checks sails figures and critical reception of

-pokemon

-half-life *

I respectfully disagree, good sir.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
It seems to me that most modern game series are all going down hill for different reasons, some devs just seem to not try anymore and release the same thing over and over again, while others come under the kosh from the fans.

Its either "moan moan moan theyve changed too much" or "moan moan moan theyve changed too little".

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog. There is no other answer. From it's highest high of the first three games and the two Adventure titles to the mediocre Heroes to the dark abyss that is Shadow and Sonic 06. Sure, there have been worse games, but to go from being the rival of fucking MARIO to the laughing stock of the gaming industry is a deep, long, painful fall from grace. There have been signs of improvement, but the fact is Sonic will never be where he once was ever again.

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
Forza Motorsport, it's like they stopped caring about simulation and started caring only about money and a "larger audience."

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Hm, surprised Laura Croft hasn't been mentioned.

While the upcoming reboot has me interested, according to a lot of fans the series is absolutely horrible when comparing newer games to the older titles.

Servantes

Jul 12, 2010
Almost all series are falling into the fault, think what is still just as engaging without being dumb down for stupid reasons or made worse with "New Game mechanics", or being story heavy to the point of boredom.

The worst offender would have to be sonic, they keep trying new stuff but forget NO ONE CARES ABOUT STORY IN A SONIC GAME!, only good story Ive found interesting was way back on the Dreamcast sonic adventure 1 and 2.

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
If something is a franchise to begin with, there is a good chance it has lost whatever special quality it had. And, is now just a souless copy being milked for cash.

Thats my biggest gripe with the gaming industry. No one ever complains about tacking on sequels. Imagine what the public reaction would be if a new director/studio just up and decided they would make a sequel to Shawshank Redemption or Forest Gump? But with a game, people actually demand sequels. No one asked if Bioshock really needed a sequel.

I know Bioshock is a far cry from Shawshank Redemption, but you can hopefully see what I am driving at.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
x-machina said:
If something is a franchise to begin with, there is a good chance it has lost whatever special quality it had. And, is now just a souless copy being milked for cash.

Thats my biggest gripe with the gaming industry. No one ever complains about tacking on sequels. Imagine what the public reaction if a new director/studio just up and decided they would make a sequel to Shawshank Redemption or Forest Gump? But with a game, people actually demand sequels. No one asked if Bioshock really needed a sequel.

I know Bioshock is a far cry from Shawshank Redemption, but you can hopefully see what I am driving at.
The movie industry has its actors, which are big, visible icons. The book industry has authors, which are the sole name on the front of the book. The game industry has nothing more than titles, which they can add numbers onto. Sure, there are the developers, but A. They are backroom rats in China/Japan's development, B. They don't get up-front exposure the same way.

When Titanic was a big success from Leonardo diCaprio, Inception was them making Titanic 2, the way the movies do.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
x-machina said:

Thats my biggest gripe with the gaming industry. No one ever complains about tacking on sequels. Imagine what the public reaction if a new director/studio just up and decided they would make a sequel to Shawshank Redemption or Forest Gump? But with a game, people actually demand sequels. No one asked if Bioshock really needed a sequel.

Wow, what a cynic...

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Torchwood!

They killed Ianto! *sniff* Killing Ianto makes me a sad Panda.

Oh I suppose if we're talking about games... Pokemon, to a degree. I still love the Pokemon games but I wish they'd just tweak the main formula a bit... just a little. I wouldn't say its the worst but its the franchise I'd like to see some change in.

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
I would say Final Fantasy, I thought XIII was great. definatly Call of Duty though... although i supose thats what fans want

commiedic

Sep 2, 2010
Age of Empires

Tribes (Tribes 2 & Tribes Vengeance)

Battlefield (2142 and the Bad Company series)

Final Fantasy

Fable

Call of Duty