What frightens you in Horror films?

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Oh and I forgot something else, sparkly vampires. The way they use abstinence to get there victims before doing absolutely nothing for the entire film......

Urrrgh!

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Furburt said:
Do you remember the first Alien film?

Do you remember why it was so scary? (it was voted the 2nd scariest of all time)

Because you barely ever saw the Alien. The entire film was buildup, anticipation, uncertainty. You didn't know what it could do, why it was doing it, or what would kill it. And it was perfect.

Aliens managed to do the impossible by combining this with balls to the wall action and still being amazingly scary, and the next two Alien films pissed over this entirely and took out all the fear and suspense.

Incidentally, I am one of those people who believes the current deluge of horror films with jump cuts and metal music are a plague on a once great genre.
I doubt you'd be the only one who views them as a plague on the genre, to be honest. If it's not scary, it shouldn't be considered horror.

OT: Suspense is always a good way to freak me out, as is leaving the nasty stuff to the viewer's imagination. It's possible to make some pretty freaky stuff using special effects, but the human imagination is capable of far more effective (and personal) horror.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Ignatius87 said:
What frightens me is that people watch and enjoy horror films at all.
Pretty much this- The fact that horror films remain popular and get made over, say, ANYTHING else is pretty damn terrifying.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
z(ombie)fan said:
SkullCap said:
Example: Eli Roth's Cabin Fever (God-awful piece of trash)
fuck
you.

everyone knows 80s horror films arent scary, but hilarious and gory.
and cabin fever was pretending it was the 80s.
In the 80s Slasher Films came in full swing with series including Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, etc. However, if there's one thing that these movies shared it was a terrifying and unique story. Some may now look down on these movies because they don't have an excessive amount of cheap shock gore and tits; ignorantly brushing them off as "hilarious and gory," but for its time it was terrifying. They had suspense, gore (used well), gripping scenes, likable characters, and genuine surprises with good jump scares. Plus these movies had main characters that you wanted to see survive, gripping the audience with terror whenever death seemed inevitable for the hero of the story. Yes the sequels in 80s horror genre became more ridiculous (except Evil Dead series which got better in the sequel).

"Cabin Fever is an idiomatic term for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in, in a small space, with nothing to do, for an extended period (as in a simple country vacation cottage during a long rain or snow). Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, irrational frustration with kitchen appliances, forgetfulness, laughter, and excessive sleeping, distrust of anyone they are with, and an urge to go outside even in the (less miserable) rain, snow or dark." -Wikipedia-
(Can you honestly not see a good horror movie from that description alone?)

The movie,Cabin Fever is about 5 of the most unlikable and idiotic characters, who have no redeeming qualities about them, who go to a cabin and get a flesh eating disease from a homeless guy that one of the characters shot with a BB gun (b/c he's a dumbass). Terrible writing, cheap gore just so it can be called horror, and pancakes (WHY??? 'Cause it funny? nooooo....). This is not only a bad horror flick its a terrible movie that try's and fails to be a parody/satire of the 80s horror genre. Roth had an interesting idea only in the title of garbage that is Cabin Fever.

Gore=Horror? Not always and that's Roth's problem, he just didn't try to put together a decent horror flick. His attempts for humor are only enormous failures and humor that an immature and ignorant child thought up. This is a half-ass attempt at the horror genre that thinks just because it has sex and gore its horrifying. This movie's a God-awful piece of trash. Shalom.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
The Big Eye said:
For me, it's simply that there are so many people who enjoy such films. Isn't it kinda disturbing that moviegoers will pay money to watch random people suffer horribly for no reason?
I think it's because we no longer do such things to each other, what with progression and soeciety and all.