What game-based movies do you own?

Forsvaine

Jun 16, 2011
None. Video game-based movies are cursed in that none of them can ever be good. Also, Advent Children sucked. This is coming from a guy who played Final Fantasy 7 until his thumbs fell off. The only way I think a game movie would work is if the game was meant to have complex writing to begin with (something like Uncharted or Silent Hill; NOT Doom or Mortal Kombat), and even then the best way to go about it would just be take the plot of one of the games and make it a movie. But then what's the point? It's like having someone play the game for me.

Yes, this is just my opinion.

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
Own - None.
Owned - Doom: The Movie (no relationship to DOOM, DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM, Final DOOM & DOOM 95). My GAWD was this awful. Within a week or two after buying it, I sold it on to get it out of my collection of DVDs.

GazDM

Apr 19, 2011
I've got King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters, I know it isn't really what you meant but it fits the description of the topic

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Final Fantasy: Advent Children
and Resident Evil: uh.... the newest one.

Both were okay, but i rarely understood what on earth what was going on.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much Advent Children only and I have never played the game at all. I just bought it for action and the special effect but it's still a good film none the less.
I have seen game films like Halo Legend, Dead Space Downfall and Aftermath, Dante Inferno, Doom and Silent Hill where were decent or good (except for Doom) but not enough for me to own the DVD.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I did have Advent Children, which I really enjoyed, but it got stolen and I've not gone and bought another copy yet (simply haven't gotten around to it yet :p). I also have:

- Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
- Resident Evil
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- Resident Evil: Extinction
- Silent Hill

And my brother has Scott Pilgrim. IT COUNTS, DAMMIT! But yeah, those are the ones I own, and believe it or not I actually enjoy all of them thoroughly. FF: TSW was amazing, it was simply ahead of its time and alienated non-gamers by using the FF brand while annoying game fans who thought it wasn't enough like the games. If they hadn't used the FF brand, there would have been no problems at the box office...

As for the Resident Evil films, they are mindless fun, and as films go the cinematography, acting, etc. isn't that bad, even if the dialogue does get a little cheesy (well, it's not like the games are any stranger to that themselves...). Overall the films are fairly true to the game themes while being completely independent, the creators are game fans themselves, and they're a lot better than a lot of other films around Hollywood at the moment (I'm looking at you, Transformers...).

Finally, the Silent Hill film is pretty damn amazing as video-game adaptations go. The only criticism I have at all with it is the fact that the B-plot with Sean Bean is shoehorned in. They should have either eliminated that plot completely, or made it more major and given Bean a more starring role. Otherwise, the plot is pretty damn solid and takes enough cues from the games to be a decent homage, the cinematography is amazing (in my opinion as a filmmaker, anyway) the script is pretty solid too, and it has FREAKING PYRAMID HEAD!!!!! How is that not awesome?!?

EDIT: I also have Halo Legends on DVD, I simply didn't count that before because it's not a single proper 'film'. Still an awesome compilation, though :p.

Zajber

Apr 2, 2010
Resident Evil (All of 'em, yep), Advent Children, Doom..

Aaaand.., a VHS with a few episodes of the Super Mario 3 Cartoon. Bloody awesome. (Had to mention)

Edit: Forgot about Scott Pilgrim, t'was a videogame too :3

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Halo Legends, if that counts. Pretty cool, but nothing incredible. It's more of an incredibly collaborative premise than actual good anime/film, but still very fun. I also have it on Blu-ray, which is a bit weird considering it's Microsoft's property running on Sony's technology. I have to watch Halo on a PlayStation 3, and that's an odd sentence to type I tell you.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Combining both myself and my brother's movie collections, we have: Resident Evil: Degeneration, Silent Hill, Final fantasy: The spirits within, Hitman, Super Mario bros., Dead space, Final fantasy: Advent children and the live action Resident evil films. Out of all the films, my favourite is Resident Evil: Degeneration.

Edit: I also forgot that there was a Scott Pilgrim videogame. So yeah, I also have Scott Pilgrim