What Game Came Close to being your Perfect Game?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Not even the really, really, REALLY bad QTE cutscenes that just appear out of nowhere and insta-kill you with just one wrong button press, which then factors into your overall score? Because I tried getting into this game again with the PS4 remaster and the moment I discovered they didn't bother to take that shit out I drop the game immediately.

OT: MY perfect game? Probably still Resident Evil 4.
You're gonna complain about QTEs in Bayonetta and then say RE4 is a perfect game... just saying. Unless you're going for like perfect runs, failing the QTEs in Bayonetta don't matter much, you're just put right back to try it again. IIRC you lose way more progress in RE4 plus there's a whole boss that are QTEs.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Warcraft 3.
Resident Evil 1 Remake.
Super Mario Galaxy.
Doom.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The World Ends With You. Music, style, gameplay, story, it's got everything in it. It feels like a game that shouldn't work, that should have fallen flat or broke itself with all the things it has but it doesn't, it's just amazing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You're gonna complain about QTEs in Bayonetta and then say RE4 is a perfect game... just saying. Unless you're going for like perfect runs, failing the QTEs in Bayonetta don't matter much, you're just put right back to try it again. IIRC you lose way more progress in RE4 plus there's a whole boss that are QTEs.
Because Bayonetta just springs them on you in a cutscene out of nowhere. The QTE Boss in RE4 gets introduced with a QTE, signifying to the player to get ready for QTE's. It also gives you a proper second and a half of showing the button on screen, and keeps it to two button combinations throughout the entire game. Bayonetta is shit at signifying when a QTE is about to start (in a cutscene), and when they do they have this annoying circle zoom-in that requires you to hit the button the instant it connects when it doesn't even feel timed correctly.

And I thought spectacle fighters were all about getting those high scores and perfect runs. Bayonetta even makes it a thing to add a skull and crossbones everytime you die, making those badly implemented QTE's sting even more. I mean, I'm not into perfect scores, but I was still getting a bit pissed everytime the game gave me another 'you failed' stamp because of its shoddy QTE's.

Can't say I ever had an issue with the QTE's in RE4, God of War, or David Cage games, but Bayonetta just bugged the shit out of me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I hated the 2nd game so much. Thank you for getting rid of Alex Mercer's character development assholes. And then play as some other guy you do not care about.
The character development being... Mercer was an asshole beforehand. The virus made him better.

I kinda like my character development being something you learn due to adversity, not something that happen to you. See also Geralt and Alita.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The character development being... Mercer was an asshole beforehand. The virus made him better.

I kinda like my character development being something you learn due to adversity, not something that happen to you. See also Geralt and Alita.
Not saying it was perfect, but it was something and had potential. Not to mention, the real Alex Mercer died. You are playing as virus that copied him. You had actual development and him forming some empathy, however flawed it was done. It's another thing to take the development that happened throw it down in the garbage, because of dumb reason. Especially when the first game makes it pretty clear Mercer was going to be main lead in the sequel. He goes back to asshole villainy, because of no reason, unless you read the prequel comics. Which most people did not read and is a failure on the writer(s) part. If I have to read outside media to understand what is going on (a part that the game leaves out or makes no reference too), that is bad storytelling. See the disaster that was FFXV with its cross media storytelling costing over $200 get the full picture on anything. Also, the 2nd game was just a worst version of 1.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Not saying it was perfect, but it was something and had potential. Not to mention, the real Alex Mercer died. You are playing as virus that copied him. You had actual development and him forming some empathy, however flawed it was done. It's another thing to take the development that happened throw it down in the garbage, because of dumb reason. Especially when the first game makes it pretty clear Mercer was going to be main lead in the sequel. He goes back to asshole villainy, because of no reason, unless you read the prequel comics. Which most people did not read and is a failure on the writer(s) part. If I have to read outside media to understand what is going on (a part that the game leaves out or makes no reference too), that is bad storytelling. See the disaster that was FFXV with its cross media storytelling costing over $200 get the full picture on anything. Also, the 2nd game was just a worst version of 1.
Personally, it would have been great Mercer forging his own path. Not being Mercer anymore and being thier own person. Maybe, if he's a leader, even making the virus fight itself to be a less belligerent force

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because Bayonetta just springs them on you in a cutscene out of nowhere. The QTE Boss in RE4 gets introduced with a QTE, signifying to the player to get ready for QTE's. It also gives you a proper second and a half of showing the button on screen, and keeps it to two button combinations throughout the entire game. Bayonetta is shit at signifying when a QTE is about to start (in a cutscene), and when they do they have this annoying circle zoom-in that requires you to hit the button the instant it connects when it doesn't even feel timed correctly.

And I thought spectacle fighters were all about getting those high scores and perfect runs. Bayonetta even makes it a thing to add a skull and crossbones everytime you die, making those badly implemented QTE's sting even more. I mean, I'm not into perfect scores, but I was still getting a bit pissed everytime the game gave me another 'you failed' stamp because of its shoddy QTE's.

Can't say I ever had an issue with the QTE's in RE4, God of War, or David Cage games, but Bayonetta just bugged the shit out of me.
I just feel generally QTEs aren't really quality gameplay so the fact that RE4 has more of them makes it worse in that regard. After knowing when the QTEs are, I didn't feel that they were hard to miss in Bayo. I don't really care about going for high scores and set my own goals in any game like in Ghost of Tsushima I played with just using the very base combat mechanics (no stances, ghost weapons, etc.) because just going for parries and dodges was the most fun for me and made me feel most like a samurai. In Bayo, I tried finishing levels without dying and just improving at the combat as I went up through the difficulties and I'm pretty sure I was getting golds quite often on NSIC.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
You're in luck, tale of grace F is literally the tales of with the best combat system and it's on the wii. Sadly it also has one of the worst story/cast...
This is one of those "You did not seriously just say that!" kind of moments. The combat is brilliant yes, but Tales of Graces F has easily one of the best casts and stories in the entire series. Now the whole series is great sure, but these characters have such personality and interact so well together it's amazing to watch them bounce off each other. The main villain is so well done, I honestly sympathized with him by the end as much as Asbel did. The story is dark occasionally but it manages to expertly balance that out with lightness and humor that make those dark moments so much more impactful in a way that most stories fail to do.

I still go back and play it regularly just because I want to see the story and characters all over again, something very few games these days can get me to do.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dying Light. I never knew that I needed and wanted parkour with my zombie survival, but holy shit do I love it. Pretty much everything about the game tickles my jimmies.

The location being this beautiful non-descript "middle eastern" city, the lighting painting the light brown walls of the city, painting the city in this golden amber color right at dusk. The ambient music, with it's focus on the vocal ululations more common in that generic "middle eastern" style of music, that give the entire setting this other worldly feel. The dead silent city, bathed in gold, with this male vocalist, letting out this droning croon of melancholy, punctuated by the growls of the sea of the dead below you. The whistle of the wind as you watch day fade to night, it's just, a fantastic bit of visual atmospheric storytelling. Gorgeous and captivating.

The fact that they actually make day/night matter, and that it's a thing you have to consider as you go out. The night is SUUUUPER dangerous, especially at low level, as you can't see shit without using artificial light (which draws zombie attention), and all the really dangerous zombies come out at night, and they do NOT play around. BUT, all XP rewards at night, are worth double, plus, night time is often when the supply air drops show up, so do you risk the dangers for increased rewards and supplies? Or play it safe and wait till dawn, and lose out on the supplies entirely?

How making noise is just a Bad Idea, any time of day, as it draws the fast moving zombies at you during the day and...well everything else even worse at night. So stealth and speed are your best weapons. Get good at parkour, learn to leap between the elevated building portions, and you are relatively safe. You can even see the places the other runner teams have paved an elevated road for other teams, to facilitate staying off the ground.

The crafting system is compelling, if a bit tedious as it has weapon durability, but it's nowhere near as bad as Breath of the Wild. Eventually it's not much of an issue, as you get upgrades to weapons that make them last WAAY longer, and you can repair them to extend their life.

The story is a bit thin and cliche, and the antagonist feels very much like a Vass (Farcry 3) Lite. He's nowhere near as compelling as Vass, but he's not terrible. He's just...not great. He's serviceable for the most part.

The rest of the supporting cast are fun characters that I really liked, in particular Jade and her brother. I wish they'd been utilized more, and that certain choices had been different when it comes to them but, they were fun characters.

The game mixes the serious main plot with a lot of hilariously goofy side missions, which is fun for breaking up the oppressive feel of the setting. They are very good about it though, keeping the comedy in the side missions that you don't really have to do, but damn if they aren't fun to do.

It's one of those games I've played multiple times on the single player, because it's just damn fun. The DLC expansion campaign is good, with a lot of interesting elements to it. Not as solid as the main game in my opinion, but still an enjoyable addition to the game.

Yeah, there's very little I dislike about the game at all really, other than the "I wish they'd done something different with some of the supporting cast, and I wish the villain was better"

Dying Light 2 is one of the few games I've been genuinely eager for when I heard it was in production.