What game do you hate most?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Very few games earned my actual hatred. Most just got written off as not good and that was that.

But one did. Plumber's Don't Wear Ties.

A game that was incompetent in every design step. What little actual game play there was was pathetic. The acting, not even trying.

And the premise and plot....

I've seen games sexist against women. I've seen games sexist against men.

This game made both genders look like shit.

So yea, I do hate it.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Extremely rare that a game makes me pissed at it, but if there is, it's due to some annoying game mechanic that cheapens difficulty, or otherwise punishes the player for (seemingly) arbitrary reason.

Can't think of many right now, but the first one that comes to mind is Dead Rising. Mainly because of what I thought it would be, based on the premise. Zombies in a mall, time to go nuts and not have to worry about shit, just a fun romp with weapon crafting, ridiculous outfits and some challenging goals and boss battles along the way.

WRONG. Entire freaking game is on a TIMER. Your FUN in endless exploration is being TIMED. Most ridiculous thing I can ever imagine. And on top of that, checkpoints are so far in between, and the boss fights so cheap, that every time you die you have to run all the way over again, doing the same things over again, crafting that weapon again, before the fight. It's just such a shitty experience.

Yeah obviously I never finished them.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JohnnyDelRay said:
He's covered wars, you know.
I hate time limits, but then with what you said being in mind...this is perhaps good for just the fun with zombies itself, maybe? I dunno. I saw my friends goofing around with it, not really caring about the plot. If you basically went "Ah fuck it", would that help at all?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
FalloutJack said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
I hate time limits, but then with what you said being in mind...this is perhaps good for just the fun with zombies itself, maybe? I dunno. I saw my friends goofing around with it, not really caring about the plot. If you basically went "Ah fuck it", would that help at all?
Yeah, maybe, but only for a while. In that vein it would become a game where you simply fire it up, goof off, skate around, bash some heads until you get bored of it. Kinda like GTA. But I prefer to complete a run-through of a game before resorting to just that, coz it's a very short-term entertainment (unless you have mods, possibly). You can't even take a break from the main story and do nonsensical shenanigans because of the constant timer. Though that's in case you wanted to save any progress you made or did anything good in that time. Maybe if you had multiple save files? Do they even have that?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JohnnyDelRay said:
FalloutJack said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Yeah, maybe, but only for a while. In that vein it would become a game where you simply fire it up, goof off, skate around, bash some heads until you get bored of it. Kinda like GTA. But I prefer to complete a run-through of a game before resorting to just that, coz it's a very short-term entertainment (unless you have mods, possibly). You can't even take a break from the main story and do nonsensical shenanigans because of the constant timer. Though that's in case you wanted to save any progress you made or did anything good in that time. Maybe if you had multiple save files? Do they even have that?
I'm sure saving varies from game to game. I have umm...trouble progressing in sandbox games, storywise. I just wanna go have FUN. Perhaps if Dead Rising had a story worth playing, that would make it more enticing, but uhh...fuck time limits and poor missions.

slo said:
FalloutJack said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Isn't it supposed to be a Groundhog Day experience where you replay it until you discover all that's happening and then try to find the quickest route to do everything?
Oh, sure, if it was your life. This is just a game, after all. Unless Frank West comes up to the screen to complain at us, it's a non-issue, right?

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
slo said:
FalloutJack said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
Isn't it supposed to be a Groundhog Day experience where you replay it until you discover all that's happening and then try to find the quickest route to do everything?
I do see the logic in that, but at the same time...it doesn't strike me as a game where I'd be willing to grind through it all over again just because I found it better to beat a particular boss first, or do these quests in a certain sequence. That makes more sense in a game like Dark Souls or other action RPG, where you are trying to find your feet or decide which build path/stat tree you want to follow. Or maybe X-COM, where you find out your research wasn't going the way you wanted. But even then, X-COM has save files unless you're going hardcore/Iron Man, but why would you do that on your first run unless you're a freaking masochist.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Pokemon Black and White

I was hesitant on putting Mod Racers for the PSP, but that game never really gave me a chance to like it enough to get me to complete it.

No, I hate Black & White on the grounds that I went in hoping that I would be blown away, as I was really not interested in playing it; a first in the main Pokemon series.

I've listed several reasons why I hate this Gen in detail, but it all boils down to two factors: do I like the Pokemon in this Gen and would I want to replay it (i.e. reset the game and start from scratch). The answers to those are no (I hated a third of them, while another third were simply 'meh') and hell no (which I why I haven't bothered with picking up Black 2 & White 2).

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Smithnikov said:
Wait, isn't that game infamous for being highly concentrated cringe in every way? I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would willingly play it. It doesn't even have the benefit of being hilariously bad and glitchy like Big Rigs: Off The Road Racing.

But, in case you genuinely didn't know of its reputation beforehand, I am sincerely sorry you had to experience ... that.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Gears of War and Halo.

To qualify this, the games are themselves perfectly polished from a mechanics point of view and if played in isolation of their expanded canon are rather enjoyable sci-fi action games but I made the mistake of reading up on Wikipedia about Gears and watching Fall of Reach respectively and just found some of the foundations of the settings to be fucking despicable and dropped 'em both.

Nothing wrong with them as games, a lot I can't tolerate as stories.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gordon_4 said:
Gears of War and Halo.

To qualify this, the games are themselves perfectly polished from a mechanics point of view and if played in isolation of their expanded canon are rather enjoyable sci-fi action games but I made the mistake of reading up on Wikipedia about Gears and watching Fall of Reach respectively and just found some of the foundations of the settings to be fucking despicable and dropped 'em both.

Nothing wrong with them as games, a lot I can't tolerate as stories.
Care to elaborate? I won't deny I'm put off by some stuff in Gears of War (mainly due to how Karen Traviss tends to use the setting as a soapbox), and Halo is military sci-fi through and through (not usually a genre I enjoy), but I can't say that either are flawed in their foundations personally.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
I don't usually hate a game just because I don't like it, but recently I've found myself really hating The Division.

The reason why? It represents everything I hate about AAA games in a nutshell:
-Ubisoft Open World Design, clutter the game with cookie cutter repetitive missions instead of actually create meaningful content I'll remember.
-Focus on Graphics over Interesting Gameplay, I don't care if its the prettiest city with the highest graphical fidelity, just watching that game makes me want to go to sleep, I can't imagine actually playing it.
-Shit Gameplay that's only fun because you're playing with your friends, the cover shooting with bullet sponge enemies looks so slow and boring I can't imagine how boring the solo experiance is.
-Quasi-MMO Crap, its a half-hearted RPG that Ubisoft couldn't be arsed to make an actual proper MMO, so it ends up being all the shit parts of MMOs in one game.
-Ripoff Season Pass, that gamers couldn't be sure would even be playable as it relies on a good player population.
-Microtransactions, probably?

I could go on and on, this game's existance pisses me off so much. I know its really petty to say, but I'm glad its nearly dead, so dead Ubisoft had to stop making the DLC.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Evonisia said:
Undoubtedly "Halo 4". Though I'm sure a depressing amount of my posts are ragging on the poor thing.

snip

In all honesty it's not this horrendous worst game ever or anything. I've played worse games, but as a huge fan of the series it fills me with nothing but disgust and hatred.
Indeed. I found halo 4 to be dissapointing as well. I am not convinced it ever had a reason to exist beyond making microsoft money. For every aspect of the game I could give you a halo game that did it better.

However, I also have ragged on halo 4 here quite a bit, and like you said, it isn't actually the worst thing ever. It would even be quite good if there weren't five better predecessors.

No, the game that filled me with disgust, annoyance and a headache while playing it for the two hours I could bear was painkiller. Yahtzee on zero punctuation was quite impressed by it. My friends who introduced me to it liked it. Some of the gameplay has the potential to be a part of a really good game. But my patience with bugs and glitches, glitched monsters ruining the pacing of the levels, terrible boss battles, dreadful story and headache inducing music was up really fast. I know that some people really like the game, and more power to them, but I remember that the whole thing made me feel bad. Not bored, like some games, not that 'I'm playing this for the wrong reason' that your average skinner box can make you feel. It made me just feel straight up bad. Ah, well. It all isn't as dramatic as this might come off. I had two hours of annoyance, I'll live. But yeah, painkiller.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I really really hate Bioshock infinite. It was the last AAA game I was excited for, and it taught me to never get hyped for a game until it's in my hands. And I hate it based on its own merits, even, ignoring all the pre-release lies.

It's totally linear, which isn't a huge issue.

I hate the moron main character, he makes terrible choices non-stop because he's dumb as hell.

The AI is ridiculously bad. Once you get the sniper rifle, and can shoot from another platform at enemies, watch how they just stand there and eat consecutive headshots. Compare that to Bioshock 1 where enemies are sprinting at you doing crazy unpredictable movements.

I'm sure it's not a completely terrible game, but to me it's just unplayable. I picked it up and then put it back down 3 times on the same save before I gave up.

Edit: And then that awful, awful ending. The plot twist is that Ken Levine doesn't know what a multiverse is, the game should've been called Bioshock Finite.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Either Croc: Legend of the Gobbos or Bioshock: Infinite. Croc for just bad gameplay, B:I for just shitting all over what I loved about the first 2.

Bad Jim said:
Godus.

Peter Molyneux, you were good in the 90's. You made Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet etc. What the hell happened? I could understand if Godus was something you had never done before, but it was basically Populous, and you've done three of those already. You've just got worse and worse over the course of your career. So sad . . .
The earlier renditions of Godus were pretty decent, but then it just got worse and worse, and now it seems they've just abandoned it.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Dragon Age 2 closely followed by DA:I.

Such a painful experience which - for story purposes - I forced myself through, but one which also breaks me because it marks a turning point in gaming culture, when RPGs became more about ticking mass-market tick lists than the actual experience itself.

I guess I don't hate it as much as I feel saddened by it.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Chimpzy said:
Smithnikov said:
Wait, isn't that game infamous for being highly concentrated cringe in every way? I'm having a hard time imagining why anyone would willingly play it. It doesn't even have the benefit of being hilariously bad and glitchy like Big Rigs: Off The Road Racing.

But, in case you genuinely didn't know of its reputation beforehand, I am sincerely sorry you had to experience ... that.
No way I could have. I rented it when the 3D0 was actually a thing. I spent the Christmas vacation with a well off cousin who'd already gotten one for his birthday, and no lie, we literally rented every 3D0 title the nearest video place had to offer (though to be fair, it was what, 10 titles?)

We returned that one that day. Even Way of the Warrior got to stay.

Feb 7, 2016
I used to have an enormous hatred of the Halo series. At first, when I was like 14, I only hated it because it was something popular and everyone seemed to love it. I played it for a little bit but just could not see why everyone loved it so much.

However, in my 20's I bought the Master Chief collection, and now I hate it for reasons I can actually show.

First off, why the ABSOLUTE FUCK is the crosshair, from Halo 2 onward, towards the bottom of the screen? This has given me such a massive headache when trying to play, and forces to me tilt both my head and eyes in unnatural ways while playing. I've read that apparently it's because they expected players to look up more often? And this balanced the game out so they can aim back down easier? Or something to that effect?

Second, the original Halo had some of the most bullshit enemy kills of any FPS on harder difficulties I've ever experienced. I literally had to exploit my way through some of the game's larger levels because enemy spawns and accuracy was absurd, even in Co-op.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Pokemon Picross
First let me put something clear: Pokemon Picross isn't a bad game. In fact I'd like to play that puzzle game all day. The problem is, you can't play it all day. This is a F2P title that combines timers and locked levels in their Microtransactions systems. The number of squares you can mark is limited. If you run out of moves, you can't keep playing until time passes and the game gives you more. If that weren't enough your progress isn't limited just by your skills, but by a premium currency paywall (you need both to beat puzzles and spend currency to progress).The worst thing is that the higher the level, the more you have to spend to unlock it. And it isn't feasible to grind all day for currency, as it comes mostly through achievements and goals in each puzzle (goals that sometimes requires completing puzzles in later levels first).

I usually don't say this. But seriously, fuck that game!