What game from this past generation did you have the most fun playing?

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Not necessarily the "best" game you played. For example, I'd consider Spec Ops: The Line a great game, but it sure wasn't a "fun" experience. Anyway, I'll split mine in two.

Single player:
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I might be pushing the "this generation" definition here, but it was a 360/PC release in 2006, so it counts. This is one of those games I just never get sick of because the combat is just so good. If you want to see first person melee (mostly) combat done well, look no further. A high chaos playthrough of Dishonored (by the same developer) is also a ton of fun in a similar vein.

Multiplayer:
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Just a crazy game. In my 30 hours of play, it would constantly alternate between being edge-of-my-seat intense, and hilariously silly. I've never played anything quite like it in that regard.

And because both of those are very similar, I'm going to throw out a random honourable mention to World in Conflict, a real-time tactical game from 2007 which is basically non-stop explosions with no time to stop and breathe from start to finish.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Singleplayer:

Bayonetta. No hack and slash game is as fun and insane as Bayonetta. The controls are silky smooth and the action is unrelentingly intense.

Multiplayer:

Gears of War 3. Been playing Gears multiplayer with a few mates every week since the first was released. 3 is easily the most polished and stable and is hands down the best multiplayer game out there.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Single Player.

Fate/Extra. A breath of fresh air I really needed when I played it. A very unique battle system that made me feel tension from my battles that I hadn't in a long time and an interesting and at times heartbreaking story that could still be funny when it wanted to be.

Multiplayer.

Journey. I don't play a lot of multiplayer games and I might have a better example if I thought on it more but this is what came to my mind. I still remember when I first climbed the mountain with someone else and following their lead through things and seeing them be patient with my ignorance.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Single Player:
Persona 4 Golden. I loved the original and this remake was even better with the extras they put in and as I've said more than once, the only reason I even bought a Vita.

Multiplayer: is a dirty word...

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Single Player:

Tie between Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3. Dismemberment combat is just the absolute bee's knees! Add in a whole posse of whacky guns, and statis and kinesis and it's a recipe for endless fun. Dead Space 1 was ok too, but it had a few unpolished edges.

Multiplayer:

Mass Effect 3. The enemies are horridly broken cheaters, and cover is buggy and imperfect, but the classes and powers really make this horde mode a thing of beauty. There are a wide variety of different ways to play, from a Charge-Grenade-Talon Asari Vanguard to a Geth Juggernaut, they all feel very different and interesting.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Just a quick question before I answer, as this thread may not be suitable for me, do "generations" apply to PC as well, or just consoles?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Miss G. said:
Single Player:
Persona 3 Golden. I loved the original and this remake was even better with the extras they put in and as I've said more than once, the only reason I even bought a Vita.

Multiplayer: is dirty word...
Funny, I didn't think Presona 3 had a Golden version. And yes, multiplayer is a word...dunno if I'd consider it "dirty", me and my brother kinda like Borderlands 2 in co-op.

Kind of a toss up between Pokemon Black/White 2, Persona 4 Golden and Borderlands 2. Though if we were talking about current gen, Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn would win it for me no contest.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Just a quick question before I answer, as this thread may not be suitable for me, do "generations" apply to PC as well, or just consoles?
If it was me, I'd say this is a universal question. However, I'm not savvy enough to completely understand what a generation would constitute for PC. Given the context, though, I'd say "from the previous year" would be enough of a guideline. Don't quote me on that, just a guess on my part.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Single player:pokemon diamond and pearl . I stopped came when platinum came out.

Multiplayer : perfect dark . Man that game was SO fun.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I only really threw in the "this generation" part of the question because I didn't want everyone mentioning games like Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye, which many of us had a ton of fun with back in the day (partly because many of us were young and relatively new to video games then). I wanted to focus on more recent experiences, the last eight years or so.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Miss G. said:
Single Player:
Persona 3 Golden. I loved the original and this remake was even better with the extras they put in and as I've said more than once, the only reason I even bought a Vita.

Multiplayer: is a dirty word...
Funny, I didn't think Presona 3 had a Golden version. And yes, multiplayer is a word...dunno if I'd consider it "dirty", me and my brother kinda like Borderlands 2 in co-op.
I was playing Persona 3 Portable, for pretty much the same reasons I love Golden, in between typing up my post and didn't catch the mistake. I went back and fixed it.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Singleplayer:
Dark Souls. It came out 2 years ago and I'm still playing it regularly.

I don't partake in multiplayer. I play games for the single player; the multi is just a short-lived distraction to me.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
LookingGlass said:
Aha, well then. As a PC-only player, just wanted to get that clarified.

Singleplayer: Gothic 3. It was released in 2006 though, so it's right on the mark. It might not count however, as it does require unofficial patches and mods to turn it into an enjoyably, playable state. So if that doesn't count, I'll also name Witcher 2.

Multiplayer: Mount & Blade: Warband. To be fair, it's the ONLY multiplayer game I play, but I have clocked many hundreds of hours into its online, and have been a regular on Australian severs, even playing with a clan at one point. Love it, and still play it sparingly today, though its heyday is over.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
King of Asgaard said:
Singleplayer:
Dark Souls. It came out 2 years ago and I'm still playing it regularly.
Dark Souls (and its predecessor) is a funny one. I'm not sure I really have all that much fun during most of my playtime. I inch my way forward at a snail's pace with my shield up, holding my breath, eyes darting in every direction as I explore the world and meet enemies that increasingly scare the crap out of me. But when I beat a few (or a boss), and reach a bonfire... the feeling of that exhale is quite tremendous. If anything was ever deserving of a fist pump, it's finishing that game.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Borderlands 2 has a TON of hours racked up on it. Probably either that or Dragon's Dogma.

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
Single Player: Definitely Crusader Kings 2. So many hours spent building families and empires; from my days as a noob figuring out the ropes as the Duke of Munster on newbie-island (Ireland) to my forging of the great Wendish Empire in the east of Europe on my last playthrough.

Multiplayer: Probably going to get flak for this, but Mass Effect 3's multiplayer has given me a lot of fun. Of course it helps that a group of my friends was almost always available to play it with. Especially fun when we set ourselves some of the sillier challenges, like trying to two-man Gold.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Oblivion. Just Oblivion. It came out right near the very start of this generation, has tons of flaws, crashes, game design failures, and I've still not had as much fun with any other game

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I still have a few games left to playthrough.

But currently... probably Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It was just... really nice to play an open-world 3D platformer again. And it was about a trillion times better than Honor Among Thieves, so that's always good.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
Single Player: Believe it or not, Brutal Legend. It's not even close to the best game I played for the generation but it's very likely to be the most fun game I played. Sure, there's tons of things wrong with it but it doesn't change the fact that in the almost 3 playthroughs of the game I've done (almost done with the 3rd now), I had a genuinely great time, every time. It also doesn't hurt that I have hard-ons for heavy metal, Tim Schafer, Jack Black, and original ideas. It doesn't get much more original than bringing heavy metal album covers to life, also the best soundtrack throughout gaming history doesn't hurt it's case either.

An honorable mention goes to Metal Gear Rising though because of it's sheer balls-to-the-wall fun. Again though, I pop chubs for heavy metal and Metal Gear.

Multiplayer: Persona 4 Arena. I adore Arc System Works fighting games more than anything and really enjoy the persona series as well. It just stands to reason that I'd love the hell out of this game.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Single player
Batman Arkham Ayslum/City: Such great games, to me the combat system is near perfect.

Multiplayer
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: I loved the whole Cop vs Racers mode, I played it endlessly.