What game has kept you up the longest?

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
The most obvious answers for me are WoW and Aion, back when I used to play them.

For WoW it was my server first 85 Undead, server first 85 Rogue, as well as some general marathon sessions.

For Aion it was more times than I can count, with world bosses having variable spawn windows, like for instance Zapiel who had a respawn window of 26-48 hours, meaning I would camp his spawn from the 26th hour mark until he spawned, which could have taken the full 22 hours of the window (and sometimes did); And I did this for pretty much all the world bosses at one point or another.

The aim there being of course that my Legion mates were logged out at his spawn and sleeping and when he spawned I would start making phone calls to wake everyone up.

For non-MMOs though there has only been a few, Tales of Xillia was the most recent one, I played for about 18 hours straight once I hit a certain point (when Gaius came into the story), Tales of Symphonia was another. The first game I remember not being able to put down was Final Fantasy 9.

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
Diablo 2 or Oblivion. I dread to think how much of my life i spent on Diablo 2, but the longest period of time without a break would probably be Oblivion, damn that game could steal time away from me....

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Just yesterday I stayed up most of the night because I (stupidly) started playing The Wolf Among Us for the first time around midnight. Of course, I couldn't put it down until I had finished all four episodes. Now release the finale already!
Longest is possibly Persona 4, though. I played about 24 hours of it virtually non-stop.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Happiness Assassin said:
The first time I picked up Mass Effect, I played for 20 hours straight. I stayed up for a total of 48 hours. It was just that good. Afterward, I had the best sleep of my life. My mom thought I was in a coma.
I know that kind of sleep, the "I've been up forever so I'm going to sleep and nobody can tell if I'm sleeping or dead" sleep.
The kind of sleep where you feel stiff when you wake up from laying there so long but just laying there feels great.

Best. Sleep. EVER!

GonzoGamer said:
But nothing can keep me up like a Sims game. I wont even realize it's 4am and I haven't even furnished my new house.
That's the best kind of gaming experience. One where you're having so much fun and so intently focused you don't even notice that 12 hours have gone by until you look at the clock.

It's very rare for there to be a game that comes out where either happens with me anymore.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Civilization games in particular; IV in specific. Mostly because I was playing it before I had kids.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
Total War - The entire series.
That game is the epitome of "Just one more turn, then I'll go to bed" syndrome.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Recently it would be Wind Waker which has kept me up to 1 in the morning which is late for me. I also have found myself staying up to midnight every time I finish Arkham City and a long time before that I played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 for like twelve hours a day when I first played them, so not up late but a long session.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I was up playing Titanfall until 3am yesterday... Or today I guess would be more correct.

So yeah Titanfall.

TheWorstMuppetEver

Jun 5, 2014
When Pokemon Crystal came out, both my friend and I took turns playing it for 24hrs straight. We made it all the way up to the Ice cave before we conked out. It was the first time I'd stayed awake all night. It was pretty surreal. I didn't stay up that late again until years later, when MAG came out. I met some Australians and joined their clan, and ran a pretty efficient engineer class. Had some fantastic battles in that game, shame it's so empty now...

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
porous_shield said:
Civilization. Frequent allnighters often that I didn't expect. The longest that I'm aware of is sixteen hours at a time..
Yeah, pretty much the same. You go one more turn, and then you realise that it's almost time for a shower and to go to work! heheh!! Still, one of the best series of games ever, and if something is going to steal my sleep, I don't think there's anything else I'd rather it be!

Mar 30, 2010
Hmm. Appropriate thread, given that I'm half an hour late into work having stayed up until 6am this morning playing GTA:O. So there's that. Plus various atmospheric games such as Dead Space and Doom 3 (yeah, I said it) which I make a point of only playing in the am so as to add to the mood. But the game I've had the longest single game session on? Gotta be Morrowind. That game was/is simply the most rewarding timesink I've experienced, and I have frequently booted it up on returning from work on a Friday or Saturday and only stopped to get lunch/dinner the next day.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Fire Emblem Awakening: 100 hours total. Longest Binge was about 10 hours
Xenoblade Chronicles: 50 Hours total, still haven't finished it. Longest binge was about 15 hours
Civilization Five: 436 hours total. Longest Binge was 24 hours straight. I literally fell asleep in my chair in front of my PC.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Way back when World of Warcraft's Burning Crusade expansion came out, I played a stupid number of hours, but it was something like the time from launch day until around noon the next day. So maybe 9-10 hours? Not the longest anyone's done, but if felt like forever at the time. I hate being too sleepy. Stayed up 48 hours once. If I had to do that often I'd just shoot myself.

But screw that game. Thinking of having played it almost gives me shudders now.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I've always valued sleep more than anything else but the one time that didn't matter was years ago when my mom was out of the country and my girlfriend had just broken up with me. Sad, depressed, and alone I went to pick up my Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater pre order after school, bought a large pizza and a bunch of Mountain Dew. Started playing around 4pm stopped playing when I saw the sun coming up

I never done it that since but man is that game amazing, it really helped me get through a dark period of my life. It's the main reason while it still stands as one of my favorite games to this day

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
GonzoGamer said:
But nothing can keep me up like a Sims game. I wont even realize it's 4am and I haven't even furnished my new house.
That's the best kind of gaming experience. One where you're having so much fun and so intently focused you don't even notice that 12 hours have gone by until you look at the clock.

It's very rare for there to be a game that comes out where either happens with me anymore.
I find it happens less on the console because I have the cable box right there in my peripheral vision. Gaming on the pc, I don't see a clock so yes, if I get into some compound I'm building in sims, I can be there for hours. (Un?)Fortunately, I don't find the rest of the game as engrossing so following sessions don't run quite as long.

Yea, lately for me that game has been GTAO. Once again, hours can go by while I'm building a job.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
For me, it was Persona 3: FES. To be fair, it wasn't exactly a matter of being unable to pull myself away. I was fighting the final boss. Anyone who has done that before knows that takes a LOOOOOONG time. After it was done, the ending started playing, and I was NOT going to do that fight all over again tomorrow, just so I remained seated and watched the whole thing. Altogether, I think the boss fight and then ending lasted from 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
GonzoGamer said:
I find it happens less on the console because I have the cable box right there in my peripheral vision. Gaming on the pc, I don't see a clock so yes, if I get into some compound I'm building in sims, I can be there for hours.
That's one of the main reasons I usually block any clocks and any other sort of light that I can whenever I play games, the other being that it's just distracting, and for the same reasons I usually play in the dark. If I notice a light out of the corner of my eye it will bug me for ages until I do something about it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
C&C Red Alert 3, back when it was released in 2008 I was proper hooked on the game when I'd bought it on the PS3 first (the PS3 died a month later) and then 360 down the line, ended up playing with friends from around the world for hours on end and then a few years later I eventually grabbed it on PC, downloaded some custom maps and a Mod that gave fixes, units from the expansion pack and visual changes and ended up playing it more down the line until I flat out became bored of it and stopped playing it last year.

Still a good game but after a while I need a long break from constantly playing a good game and then coming back to it after a break.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
I think it must have been WoW. No other game has tricked me into spending so much time with it, and now it seems I'm unable to stick with a game for more than a few hours. Except when I'm on holiday and binge-gaming The Longest Journey to play it all the way through.

And the weird part is I don't understand why I stuck with WoW for so long. I spent most of my playtime being bored, running around trying to find something to do. It even went so far that I fished up all the coins from the fountain in Dalaran, and found all the secret books in Dalaran that has a weird 24h spawn timer, that can randomly be a different book than the one you're looking for.

I even swam far off the map to get to funny areas and explore the entire map.

Seriously, fuck that game. I miss it...

Andrew Lamp

May 9, 2012
I've possibly had longer actual gaming sessions, but what stands out in my mind was camping a specific spawn in EQ for 19 hours straight. (Mummy for Paw of Oppolla quest.)
For that whole time I could literally do nothing but be at the keyboard because the time in between placeholder spawns was so short.