What game(s) have you wanted to like...

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Mass Effect 2. From the tutorial alone it was clear that Bioware was looking to make a different kind of game. Noticably darker with more swearing, antihero stuff, Miranda (miss Fanservice) shooting some guy in the head casually etc. Combined with the more seedy environments and removing stuff like Mako exploration, it was pretty obvious that they were gunning for something darker and edgier than Mass Effect, which had veins of Star Trek and Babylon 5 running through it. To say nothing of the gameplay and story choices they took it in which I did not like either. Tried to stick with it and see if it got better, but I just couldn't finish it.

Captain Capra

Jan 6, 2014
Assassins Creed. The whole series. I hate these games. Not that I didnt tryed to like them. I somhow get exited before the release of every single one of the AC games. And I also own the complete collection up to Number 3. Five Games I absolutley hate. Well exept brotherhood, wierdley that hit me on the right spot (even wierder, Revelation doing the same fucking thing as BH, is failing completely on me. never got past 5 hours). Why do I own all that, if its no fun to me and Im so aware of that, you now may ask, one eyebrow up. Well if I just would bloody know, I might stop myself. In the Trailers, and the gamplayfootage and even in the reviews it just looks always so fucking cool. I mean, you´re an Assassin, you´ve got hidden blades, swordfighting never looked more awesome, that can´t be bad, can it? Apparently it can very well. It´s gameplay looks totally great in every way, but plays like the most unchallenging arse ever. And directing an Assassin to run after a target and NOT cling to that wall that happens to be beside him is something I too often failed. No Assassins Creed, I am never going to buy any of your kind. NEVER.

What ya sayin´? There are seabattles in the 4th. Well I´m not gonna buy it,no way! But let me just check out this trailer...fuck, this has to be the first game I´ll buy as soon as I can get a PS4. Wow, looks really exiting.

PS: English is (probably obviosly)not my native language, so please exuse, if I screwed up the grammer here and there. Double checked it, but probably still flawed.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Mass Effect 1 - Played for a while and got to the first hub area. Did the very first side mission, failed immediately because I didn't have enough Paragon/Renegade points. From what I read online the quest required nearly 100% of your meter to be filled (which is only possible if you play new game+), started doing other side quests, about half of them didn't have any choice in them or if they did again required more points in Paragon/Renegade than you could possibly have at that point in the game. Also, the combat in the original was boring, enough so that I skipped the other 2 games. I could be wrong, I bought the game like a month after release, and haven't touched it since.

Assassin's Creed - Played until you got multiple targets, and quit. The game was just too repetitive. I did pick up Black Flag with, while was still repetitive, was varied enough for me to finish the main story. I might even go back and clean up the collectables.

Morrowind - I'm way too spoiled with the compass and waypoint system. I want to enjoy it, but actually having to navigate an open world with real-life type directions.

"Go to town-name" Okay
"Find Store-name" Okay...
"Turn North" (No compass, and I don't think you show up on the maps) Ummm... which way is north?
"Keep going up the stairs" Okay?
"Turn right and enter the second house on your left" *Turns right* There's no houses here... Fuck, *heads back to store, gets lost*

Again, I think the problem with Morrowind is more that I'm too used to Oblivion or Skyrim's navigation, and the interfaces and such haven't aged gracefully to say the least.

Monster Hunter (3DS version) - Fuck the control scheme, 3D games like this almost REQUIRE two thumbsticks. If I had a Vita I would probably get it on that(It was released on Vita right?), but I'm not buying a Vita for one game.

Any game that's entire appeal is playing with friends w/ a leveling system. - Maybe my friends are just assholes with no self control, maybe my friends actually hate me, maybe it's because most of my gaming friends have no/part time jobs with a steady schedule, but any time I start playing a game like Torchlight, Diablo, Path of Exile, etc. My friends always say they'll play a character with me, they will for.... maybe 3 hours, than I'll have to go to work, or sleep to get ready for work, and when I come back my friend's character he was leveling with me is now 40 levels higher, and he won't reroll again. His response?: "Just catch up with me, it's only going to take a few hours." Fine, I'll platy solo/with randoms until I catch up. Okay, I got to level 60 something. Oh, hey... He's maximum level and has the game's best gear, and won't play with me at all until I get to his character and gear level. It happened with EVERY game we play together, He'll no-life it, or in the case of Dungeon Defenders will hack it, and call me a "baddie" for not hacking the game myself...

I think I just need new friends...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Eamar said:
Saints Row 2...
Yeah, it took me a second try to start enjoying Saints 2, and even then the game didn't pick up in my mind until about hour 6. My only complaint about it would be how the AI behaves as far as driving is concerned. When you're speeding through town it's not a problem, but when you're on a mission EVERYONE starts to pull in front of you or blow through a red light intersection for no good reason other than to impede you.

However, late into the game it surprises you. There's secret islands off the map edge, a giant underground shopping mall, an attack helicopter you can sometimes steal from the police station (you get one late in the game anyway). So much to discover in that game.

Zhukov said:
Okami.

I was all ready to be charmed and entertained, but the interminable and unskippable 25min intro started off on the wrong foot and the inescapable feeling that I would have enjoyed it infinitely more at the discerning age of 11 never went away.
Damn, I started skipping the cut scenes, like non-stop, as fast as I could press the button to get to the game. It still took me about 17 minutes. Later, my BC PS3 died, and I haven't missed Okami at all.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Silent Hill 4's probably my most critiqued of the series, despite having one of my favorite premises.

Zhukov said:
Remember Me.

Cool setting, some cool ideas and decent visual design. Sadly the writing was so very crap and the combat was so very uninspired that my attempts to enjoy it were doomed to failure. Shame really. There was something worthwhile in there. Somewhere. Possibly.
While I liked the style and a lot of the ideas behind Remember Me (Remixing deserved a major focus), I wish they had done more with the story.
I mean, a few bad one-liners aside, you brainwash a woman into into thinking her husband is dead and it's never really acknowledged again. I was pretty sure we were the villain after that.

And I thought the combat was fine, before every single enemy starting getting tediously long health bars.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
For me right now, it's probably Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to like this game. But I'm having a hard time doing so.

I found Normal mode a bit too easy and boring for my liking, so I stopped and attempted to do Hard Mode. And so far, I'm having a hard time adjusting. Currently stuck on Ch. 4, and I really want to level up my non-Chrom/Avatar units. But the limited about of characters I have at that point makes it really difficult not to lose someone.

The main problem however is my fault really. I foolishly looked online about stuff related to this game and spoiled myself about certain bits of it. For example, I glanced over about how one of the characters I used to really like apparently has a not so healthy relationship with her daughter. And I had my avatar marry her! I feel like shit for it!

I also read about how easy it is to apparently get through the game if you just level a few select units rather than have an evenly leveled squadron. What the hell's the point of having control over so many guys if all I need is to just use a few to get through the game? I don't want to handicap myself in order to get some fun and challenge out of a game like this! If I wanted to do that, I'd be playing a more traditional JRPG like Final Fantasy IX. At least with those games, they're designed around using a small group of people.

Again, it's my fault for reading that kind of stuff when I haven't even finished the main story yet, but it's all making me not want to play the game anymore. I'm kinda sad about it to be honest because from what I've played, this is a really good game. But because of me going too deep into the internet I spoiled parts of the game for myself and I learned some things about this game that I don't particularly care for.

Perhaps I'll come back to this game another day. When I've developed a different mindset.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
Add another one for Okami.

I have bought the game 3 times in an attempt to like it. 3 TIMES. Often being mentioned in the same breath as games that I love such BG&E, Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts, I thought I would love this game. It had beautiful visuals and was said to be highly reminiscent of Zelda...a series I loved growing up and still love to do this day. Despite missing it at release, I was always of the belief that once I actually got around to playing it, it would inevitably fall in line with those other storied games

My first experience was on the Wii where I played it for about 10 hours before getting bored/frustrated with the terrible motion controls. Despite playing for 10 hours, I didn't really get that far...only about the 15% mark I believe (that part where you have to find all these other dogs or something...).

I bought it again on the PS2 but only played it briefly before shelving it again. This then lead to me buying it on the PS3, convinced that I would finally fall in love with it.

I've been playing for about two hours and I don't know if I want to keep going. The game is really dull to me and reminds me of all the worst parts of games I enjoyed growing up (tedious side quests, cheesy dialogue, overblown, etc). Although to be fair, I think if I played it when I was 13 I actually would of enjoyed it a lot more as I had a lot more patience for slower paced games.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
the_great_cessation said:
Add another one for Okami.

I have bought the game 3 times in an attempt to like it. 3 TIMES. Often being mentioned in the same breath as games that I love such BG&E, Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts, I thought I would love this game. It had beautiful visuals and was said to be highly reminiscent of Zelda...a series I loved growing up and still love to do this day. Despite missing it at release, I was always of the belief that once I actually got around to playing it, it would inevitably fall in line with those other storied games

My first experience was on the Wii where I played it for about 10 hours before getting bored/frustrated with the terrible motion controls. Despite playing for 10 hours, I didn't really get that far...only about the 15% mark I believe (that part where you have to find all these other dogs or something...).

I bought it again on the PS2 but only played it briefly before shelving it again. This then lead to me buying it on the PS3, convinced that I would finally fall in love with it.

I've been playing for about two hours and I don't know if I want to keep going. The game is really dull to me and reminds me of all the worst parts of games I enjoyed growing up (tedious side quests, cheesy dialogue, overblown, etc). Although to be fair, I think if I played it when I was 13 I actually would of enjoyed it a lot more as I had a lot more patience for slower paced games.
So I actually got around to finishing Okami. I was very wrong on this game. It's a beautiful, imaginative game with a great atmosphere and sense of personality. I especially enjoyed the structure of the game and how it is sort of broken up into three acts - it really added to the mythic tone of the game. The gameplay is addictive once you get used to it and it is filled with interesting stuff to do in the overworld. I will stand by my earlier opinion in so much that the opening of the game is really slow and the game really drags for the first 3-4 hours. However, once you pass Agata Forest the game becomes something special. I'd actually list it in my top 10. I guess it pays to give certain titles second chances.

With that said....

I guess I'd change my answer to "Open-World games" in general. I really like the idea of open world games as "sense of adventure" has always been one of the qualities I look for in games but I find the core gameplay behind the majority of open world games shallow. Along with this I find that a lot of these games can be "too big" and overwhelming as a result. I'm not going to lie, the glut of open-world games highlighted at E3 this year has me a little soured on the genre. Titles like The Witcher III and Arkham Knight look amazing but I don't know if I'll be able to give them the time and attention they require to fully enjoy them.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Honestly?

Skyrim. I'm not into the Elder Scrolls games. I've played Arena and Oblivion, and some parts of Morrowind, before I played Skyrim. In the intro alone, I heard about 30 phrases that I should care about but I didn't, it was really boring - everyone just talked. No daring escapes, no big escapades, nothing. Just some bad voice actor talking about lore that I should get eased into over the course of the game, not have it all spewed out and then expectantly looking at me, hoping I'd understood any of it, like a dog that's just shit on the rug.

I'm sure the last straw was when you had the option of escaping with the man who just tried to legally kill you a few minutes ago. I thought, "Holy fuck, this is stupid and boring and it doesn't make sense and the only interesting part of it in the past 20 minutes has been an awesome dragon and every person so far has been boring as fuck."

When I actually got to the open world, I got a little better, though. I still sort of regret giving it a chance, because I still haven't gotten through it, and I'm still not enjoying it.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
witcher
tried 3 times to get into it but after about an hour i just get bored and walk away

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I want to like Rockstar games...GTAIV, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption...I just don't like them. I beat GTAIV once but I just can't get back into GTAV long enough to complete it. I lost all interest in RDR once I got to Mexico and trying to replay the PS2-GTA titles was a near-disaster for as far as I got into it.

I want to like Shin Megami Tensei IV but it seems like no matter what I do, I'm always severely under-leveled...maybe the series is just meant to be really difficult.

There are a number of S-RPGs that I want to like too but I can't really get into the ones I want to get into...like Fire Emblem Awakening and, Final Fantasy Tactics. I haven't played either in a while, I haven't beaten either of them but I just don't care for that kind of game compared to more traditional JRPGs.

WhiteFangofWar said:
*Braces self for torches*

Xenoblade Chronicles.

I loved Xenosaga and Xenogears, and I almost always like games with robots. But none of those used an MMORPG-style model for the side quests or had clusterfucky real-time combat that gives you even less autonomy over your party than FF XII (which I also enjoyed). Also it was possible for me to see in the first area of those games, even though the Woglinde was almost completely white it still had better visibility.

At least Tetha Cave doesn't blind you, and maybe you get better control later on. I'd like to come back to it someday and see if it gets better, I just don't feel it right now. Got other good games to try first.
I never played any prior Xenoblade/Xenogear games but I also really wanted to like Xenoblade Chronicles. Sadly, I just couldn't get into it because of the MMO style of combat. I really want to like the game but the combat just bored me to tears and the thought of how big the game is just made me regret buying the thing. I have huge misgivings of XCX and wish Monolith would get on with their sequel to Attack of the Saiyans.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I wanted very badly to like the Dark Souls II story, but I just didn't care. I put in nearly 200 hrs because I still like to fight and kill online. The basic game play was good, That was it for me. It felt so mechanic for me to get through the game twice to acquire gear, spells, and upgrades just so I could PvP and CoOp with top stuff. Anyways I'm done with the Souls games.