What Game Surprised You This Year?

Boggelz

Aug 28, 2011
Just a discussion about games that you decided to try and either blew your expectations away, or left a bad taste in your mouth. So what game(s) surprised you this year?

For me I will say Bastion. I wasnt really all inclined to buying a small game because of a few cool art directions. But when i picked it up on a steam sale it became one of my top games of the year. Partly from the solid story element. Partly from the easy to use gameplay. But mostly im sure because of that suave narrator that makes you want to keep coming back to the game.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Darksiders. It sucked.

I'd heard reviews in both directions but I wasn't prepared for how much of a letdown it was.

The most interesting character was the horse and this game ain't Skyrim.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Although not a 2011 release, the game that has most pleasantly surprised me this year was when I finally got around to trying Lord of the Rings Online. I'd expected a lazy WoW clone made to ride on the success of the movies, but it's actually much closer in spirit to the books then the movies were (albeit with inevitable compromises for gameplay reasons) and the world building is the best I've ever seen.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Catherine. I wasn't expecting anything from this game, but I was blown away by its awesomeness.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Driver San Francisco, thought that it would be a junk racing game but it turned out to be one of the best racing games this gen.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Well, I shat myself when I discovered Draugr in Skyrim, does that count?

Otherwise, I haven't been surprised by anything. I think. May have forgotten.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Xenoblade Chronicles.
A JRPG I still want to play after 30 hours?
WHAT IS THIS MAGIC??!!

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
Honestly, skyrim.....i just rolled my ees at it when it was announced, then i heard more and more people getting excited and i started to check it out, then i preordered it, and it just blew me away, i went from apathy to love, i love this game, and i wasn't expecting to

Dec 14, 2009
Palademon said:
Xenoblade Chronicles.
WHAT IS THIS MAGIC??!!
I second this.

It's a truly great JRPG if I haven't strangled myself with my own intestines after a few hours.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Skyrim. Not the game itself; I don't even own it. What surprises me is that everyone calls it "perfect" despite the fact that it has bugs leaking out of its pores and the PS3 and PC ports were both quick'n'dirty.

OT: I'm sure a lot of you like obscure games - the further they fly under the radar the better, right? Well, it's hard to get any further under the radar than a Japanese bullet hell game released on Steam with no fanfare whatsoever. I refer of course to Gundemonium Recollection, which was released on PSN a ways back but only hit Steam this year. Not quite as good as Touhou, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to find. Believe me, once you get over the learning curve that comes with no visible hitbox, it's awesome.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ghost Trick.

I wasn't expecting much and I was prepared to play a silly little DS game.

I love that game and it's freaking awesome, how dare I doubt this game!

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
BF3 and MW3, I was surprised how aweful they were. I had hoped for more overall changes and improved gameplay but nooooooooo... Just the same old garbage filled with hype. :(
But you had the chance to KILL A RAT! Where else could you do that? Skyrim only had stinkin' skeevers!

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Bulletstorm was a pretty pleasant surprise to me. Some of the traces of current generation FPS trends bothered me from time to time, but I actually found the story interesting and the gameplay pretty addicting. Played it through some 3-4 times, which is way more than I've done to any other game this year in which the single-player has been the focus.

Portal 2 surprised me a bit too, though that was really just purely from a story point of view (both the single and co-op story). The gameplay was pretty "been there, done that" and the new gel mechanics I was already familiar with from having already played Tag: The Power of Paint by the time of Portal 2's release.

Edager6882

Dec 21, 2010
Dark Souls. I thought it was going to be the hub based gameplay of Demons Souls but I was blown away by the locals and how each area is connected to each other. Each area is distinctly different but they all feel like they connected to the world as a whole.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Daystar Clarion said:
Palademon said:
Xenoblade Chronicles.
WHAT IS THIS MAGIC??!!
I second this.

It's a truly great JRPG if I haven't strangled myself with my own intestines after a few hours.
Me three. I mean sure it look interesting when I saw the gameplay trailers before the release but once you play the game itself, it's a whole new experience. Seeing the vast landscape, the fluent battle and the wonderful soundtrack ("Engage the Enemy£ is jsut epic) just blew me away.

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
Dark Souls Fo Sho. I hadn't even heard of Demons Souls until a week before the formers release. Its world is beautiful and the monsters are terrifying. people harp on about the difficulty, but its not even the part that got me, although i hear it is MUCH easier post patch. my personal GOTY, if only because i KNEW Skyrim and Shogun 2 where going to be epic.