What Game Surprised You This Year?

Jul 9, 2008
KnightOfHearts said:
Skyward sword definitely surprised me...
It lived up to the hype and became one of my favorite games of all time.
I hear that. I was expecting it to be good. I was not expecting it to be the best Zelda I've ever played, even better than Wind Waker. Almost makes me wonder how I ever liked Twilight Princess; that game did so many things wrong that I never noticed until I played a game that got it all right.

I actually talked with friends about having a similar experience with Skyrim and Oblivion (i.e, looking back at Oblivion and thinking "how did I even play that?"). We think it's because both games came out at awkward transition periods, when their consoles were new (doesn't excuse Oblivion on PC, but they were still dealing with a lot of new tech at the time).

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Good: Skyrim. I never really got into Fallout 3 (not to say that it was bad, just wasn't my thing) or anything else Bethesda has done, so it really surprised me when I fell head-over-heels for Skyrim and I found myself spending hours climbing mountains to fight single dragons just to trek back down again and look for more dragons to kill. And Juniper berries to collect. And ore to mine. And fish to catch.

Bad: Can't say I've had a bad surprise in terms of gaming this year. I tend to keep my expectations low.

Commander of pie

Oct 8, 2011
Dungeon defenders when i 1st saw that i was like meh tower defense with rpg stuff in it ok i will look at got the game off steam when it was £5 then i was like THIS GAME IS EPIC!

Im serious that game is good and the free tf2 stuff in it was cool as well :)

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
dark souls
demon souls beat me around the head with an elephant which I came to love
but dark souls beat me around the head with a aricraft carrier which I came to love more

Danny91

May 30, 2011
Mallefunction said:
Danny91 said:
Mallefunction said:
Revelations because of how terrible it was. Expected at LEAST Brotherhood quality. Got shit instead.

The first AC game that I'm even considering a return. I'm a pretty big fan, but Ubisoft really lost the ball on this one.
What was wrong with it? I should probably find out before getting it :p
MANY MANY things.

-Altair's missions are short, totally linear, and really don't 'reveal' anything important. They also introduce a very lack luster villain with no prior mention.
-Almost none of the characters return or even get a mention and yet we're supposed to give a shit about these new one-game characters who barely get any screen time as is. One of them even dies off screen and yet we're supposed to feel bad about it.
-The story is short. Less than 6 hours if you run through it (without redoing missions, opening shops, raising your brotherhood, etc)
-Lots of gameplay frustrations such as the fact that your notorious meter goes up every time you BUY a shop. You can kill 5 guards and end up with nothing, but GOD FORBID you buy a bookstore.
-Desmond's mission are neither well designed nor reveal anything about his character that wasn't established in the first game and are generally worthless. It's basically first person platforming if you were 3 feet tall so the camera is too low and you often will make missteps just because of that.
-The city is rather ugly and small which considering that Brotherhood made Rome LOOK FANTASTIC (on the same development cycle of one year), that is incredibly sad.
-There is no big revelation like the title promises. Honestly, the entire story is pointless because you only find out one thing at the end of it.

The main issue I had was that the game simply wasn't fun. AC is all about the flow of the game, but because so many assholes kept complaining about how 'easy' it was, Ubisoft added in all these unneeded gimmicks like the grading system and the raised awareness (for buying shops? WTF?!) to slow people down so they couldn't just buy up every shop and move on. You have to stop what you're doing and go and bribe heralds DOZENS of times. And if you don't? Then you get the fucking DEN missions which are horrid. They aren't fun, are poorly designed and the camera HATES you.

What's worse is there is now a huge plot hole.

BIG SPOILER HERE, DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU PLAN TO GET THE GAME
In Brotherhood, Ezio hid the Apple away in Rome when he was 47. We know the Apple was STILL there because otherwise Desmond and the others wouldn't have been able to take it at the end of Brotherhood. But at the end of Revelations, the Apple is shown to have been locked away in a vault with Altair during the crusades nearly 300 years prior to Ezio's birth. Given that all of the pieces of Eden are supposed to be different, why are there suddenly two Apples? Where did the second one even come from? Etc
Ah sure thanks for that. I had thought initially that trying to drag the series out to end in 2012 might cause some problems; I might still get it at some stage though, I'm very much a sucker for all things Assassins Creed.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I was surprised by Skyrim. After tolerating Oblivion I was prepared to do the same thing, not enjoy it as much as I have. But BF3 is right up there. Running over people in tanks never gets old.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Skyrim. Not at the game in general, but it seems like every time I play I notice something else that surprises and amazes me and seems an improvement over the previous outing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Oblivion (I got bored/frustrated with it quickly and it took me two solid tries to even get that into it), but Skyrim is miles ahead, personally.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Devil may cry 3. I'd heard it was hard, but my god, this game is fucking unforgiving.

It's still loads of fun though.

Naranja797

Oct 3, 2011
I'm not sure if it came out this year but Singularity. I thought my brother was an idiot when he bought it but it turned out to be one of my favorite shooters.
Also Duke Nukem Forever but not for the reason you think. I was expecting complete crap going into it but on the PC it wasn't bad. Not fantastic mind you.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
Crysis 2, I wasn't expecting the story to rule, I thought it would be mostly MP based but I've played the campaign about 7 times more than I've played online now

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Two surprised me, FIFA12 and its new defence mechanisms make for a more challeging/frustrating match, timing your tackles and movements rather than just chasing the one guy round the pitch.

Second was skyrim, all the waiting, all the hype, all the talk........and it bored me within 3 days. Certainly the years biggest waste for me.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
I was surprised by how much Skyrim bored me. Also, I was surprised that I really liked Portal 2, despite the first one being meh. (Activates flameshield)

EDIT: oh, and how shit Infamous 2 was.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
For me, it would be Grand Knights History for the PSP. It just popped up out of nowhere, being all awesome and stuff.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
BF3 and MW3, I was surprised how aweful they were. I had hoped for more overall changes and improved gameplay but nooooooooo... Just the same old garbage filled with hype. :(
Tip: Never hype on multiplayer FPS

And for me Brink

I was suprised how much I liked it afther all the bad reviews I expacted it to be bad (got it for my birthday from my cousin) but it wasnt that bad I enjoyed my time with it atleast it was better than (flame shield) Mw3

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Skyrim. I love Morrowind, still play it sometimes. I absolutely hated Oblivion. While Skyrim has it's flaws, and I hate to see it so streamlined, it is a really fun game, and on it's own merits a brilliant RPG.
Over in Indie land, both Binding Of Isaac and Bastion surprised me by just how much I loved them.
Oh, and I haven't bought it yet, but from what I've seen from my friend playing it, BF3 may be the first game I buy full price just for the multiplayer.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Skyrim.

No seriously. It's me first entry into the TES series and I was genuinely swept away by the lore and the characters. Now onwards to Morrowind!

And Revelations. Boring. So so so boring. Help me here, at this point, wouldn't AC3 seem like a Splinter Cell copy?