What game to play with my extrovert girlfriend?

MrYen

Apr 3, 2013
Greetings Escapist forum! Long time addict of the site, first time posting.

I seek suggestions for and experience with games that can unite the introvert and the extrovert in a shared immersive/enjoyable/interesting, experience that will reveal the potential of the gaming media to be more than kids toys and adult procrastination.

My girlfriend, the extrovert mother of three, and I, the introvert life long gamer, are both 30 years of age and have a long story behind us. Suffice to say that due to our respective paths we will for the most part only be physically together every other weekend for the next two years as we currently reside in neighboring countries.

What games might be approachable and relatable enough to invite the non gamer gently into the realm of digital fun and exploration while having enough depth to retain the interest of an extrovert female student of culture and literature?

EDIT: New stuff below

Platform: PC mainly. We've got some last-gen consoles between us but none that go online.

[SUGGESTIONS v2.0]

I've attempted to separate your suggestions in groupings of decreasing viability, so best suggestions in the top grouping and so on. All suggestions and experiences are very welcome but I must parse them based on the situation. By way of replying and briefly explaining my choices I have stuck a comment onto each suggestion.

Bioshock series............................¥ Good point about cultural and literary hooks
Castle Crashers............................¥ Looks like a blast and an accessible one at that
DnD (pen & paper)......................¥ Great in theory, tricky to establish as a habit
Fable 3 (her in charge)...............¥ Seems like a solid intro to adventure games
Minecraft /w Skype.....................¥ Good stuff, potential to get the kids in on it
Portal 2 (co-op).............................¥ Lots of humor, challenging without being punishing
Sacrifice ..........................................¥ Certainly worth a playthrough, will check multiplayer
The Longest Journey..................¥ Seems like a great single player game for the cause

Borderlands 2................................¥ Could be worth a shot, the endless box opening takes me out of it tho
MMOs..............................................¥ Good idea but these require more time than she has
Puzzle Pirate..................................¥ Looks good once you get into it, not ideal as intro
Terraria............................................¥ Beaten in my opinion by Minecraft

Deadly Premonition....................¥ Gameplay unsuitable, hard to share the experience
Godhand..........................................¥ Gameplay unsuitable (Solo male-protagonist beat-em-up grind)
Hyper Princess Pitch..................¥ Looks good but too simple in scope, hard to share the experience
IJI........................................................¥ Gameplay unsuitable, hard to share the experience
Mario Kart......................................¥ Good fun but too simple in scope
MDK 2...............................................¥ Gameplay unsuitable, hard to share the experience
Mischief Makers...........................¥ Looks good but too simple in scope
Noitu Love 2 ..................................¥ Too simple in scope, hard to share the experience
OFF....................................................¥ Gameplay unsuitable, hard to share the experience
Planescape: Torment..................¥ Tragically, Gameplay unsuitable, hard to share the experience
Rock Band 3...................................¥ Good fun but too simple in scope
Snow Brothers (co-op)...............¥ Looks good but too simple in scope
Worms Armageddon..................¥ Good fun but too simple in scope

[POINTS WELL MADE]

In an effort to summarize your greatly appreciated input I will paraphrase your points. These are sort of my notes.

Adventure games are good for a couple because you can think together about the solutions. Best to play a game that is new to both players. -Doom972

In regard to Fable 3 co-op; Have her play the lead hero and let her do the combat. There're more than enough available choices that she won't have to worry about whether or not she's "doing it right," but not so much that she won't know what to do first. She's also likely to get a kick out of the dialogue and the way your heroes can romance each other. -templar1138a

Keep It Simple Stupid! Let her browse and pick a game without censoring it or her, embrace her choice. -Tenmar & uncanny474

[PLAN & PROGRESS]

Game One: Minecraft
Have sorted and tested server know-how, the game will run on her laptop, solid potential for a casual peek as well as in depth gaming sessions.
Post launch update expected April 15th at the latest

ToDo: Refit my previous gaming rig (the bins at the computer labs at Uni will come in handy). Then start her on the Portal and Bioshock series.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Err ... umm ...

Rock Band 3?

I'm guessing you're more for the idea of a game you can play together but at a distance, though.

You could check out Puzzle Pirates.
At its base, it's quite simple .. being pirates and doing everything via puzzles.
However, the economy is player driven ... players employ other players in order to create goods for trade, crews & the flags to which they belong can conquer islands, build structures on them, etc.
Especially during a war, the methods the competing flags have to utilise in order to entice players to staff their ships for extended periods is quite entertaining.
And when the costs involve losing control of real estate or getting a bunch of expensive ships sunk ...

Personally, I find the large scale stuff to be too many ego clashes and too much politics, so I stick to sailing.
Being one of the best, I'd get invites into all sorts of lucrative trips, even though I don't bother having good gear or practicing swordfighting/brawling (which you have to do, I just let 'em carry me), just 'cos my sails contribution outweighs my otherwise-apathy.

And all of this is in a very fair F2P model.
Your skill counts for more than your gear, but you have access to everything anyway. Plus, you can trade ingame currency for credit-card currency (with other players).

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Any specific platform(s)? In my experience with getting my girlfriend into gaming, I came to the conclusion that you have to start with simple games. One of the first games I got her into was Worms Armageddon (other versions could also work well). If you want to show her a game with a good plot, I suggest an adventure game - for example, my girlfriend loved The Longest Journey. Adventure games are actually good for a couple because you can think together about the solutions - so it's better if you play something that you haven't played before.

I think that the best kind of games to introduce to a non-gamer are games that are relatively easy to pick-up and play.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
I'd say Portal 2 co-op, but it'd probably take some time to get used to the 3D gameplay if she hasn't so much as held a controller before.

Kart racers are boatloads of fun, and easy to learn. Not sure if that fits your criteria though.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Which platform are you thinking of, PC or console? Also, are you thinking of Couch co-op games, or just Single player games that you can take turns on or share?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
excalipoor said:
I'd say Portal 2 co-op, but it'd probably take some time to get used to the 3D gameplay if she hasn't so much as held a controller before.
Hah. That was precisely the choice I was thinking. Though being a puzzle game, Portal 2 is non-intensive enough in its actual gameplay that I don't actually foresee this being too much of a problem, particularly given the way the opening tutorial eases you into things.

What's more, the simplicity of the mechanics - which is basically just shooting portals and walking around - makes the game easy to get into while their versatility gives it a lot of depths to be plumbed, the user-created maps give it a huge amount of replayability, and the great writing should appeal to her academic interests. So yeah, Portal 2 gets my vote.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
MrYen said:

I seek suggestions for and experience with games that can unite the introvert and the extrovert in a shared immersive/enjoyable/interesting, experience that will reveal the potential of the gaming media to be more than kids toys and adult procrastination.

My girlfriend, the extrovert mother of three, and I, the introvert life long gamer, are both 30 years of age and have a long story behind us. Suffice to say that due to our respective paths we will for the most part only be physically together every other weekend for the next two years as we currently reside in neighboring countries.

What games might be approachable and relatable enough to invite the non gamer gently into the realm of digital fun and exploration while having enough depth to retain the interest of an extrovert female student of culture and literature?
culture? literature? bioshock or bioshock infinite on easy. DONE! if the fps controls throw her off have her watch you play these games. As long as her interest is peaked thats what counts.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Got just the one, as I've played it with my fiancée to our mutual enjoyment: Fable 3 co-op.

Have her play the lead hero and let her do the combat unless she's clearly in trouble so she can learn. There're more than enough available choices that she won't have to worry about whether or not she's "doing it right," but not so much that she won't know what to do first. She's also likely to get a kick out of the dialogue and the way your heroes can romance each other.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
What about an mmo or similar online game? They usually come with some lore attached and try to incorporate it. Even if you both can't understand it at first, you can learn together. As an added plus, you don't need to be in the same country to play together.

Alternatively, for couch based games, I would guess some kind of adventure game. There is Castle Crashers if she maintained a lot of childish humor, but from the description, you should probably find something she can have a tangential interest in.

yoshiru

Mar 7, 2011
MrYen said:
as we currently reside in neighboring countries...
Spending 3 months away from my wife was the most difficult time of our marriage.

Anyway, play Minecraft with Skype. My friends and I skype/minecraft all the time when we want to catch up on each other's lives. It's a great way to keep in touch. You can talk without the game taking up too much if your attention, and if there's a silence in the conversation it's much less awkward.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
If you're good with smacking things around a bit then I would suggest Castle Crashers. The LEGO series of games has co-op as well I believe so thats another cute thing to play, especially the older ones since there are no voices. You can voice them and tell your own story.

No, I'm not strange for doing that.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
MrYen said:

You will want an MMO. I suggest WoW, GW2, TSW, or TOR, looking ahead to Wildstar, WOD and Titan.

WoW was more or less the hook that turned my girlfriend from a part time console gamer who'd maybe play a game for an hour here and there once a month to a hardcore gamer who will barricade herself inside her room for 8-10 hours on launch day of a new RPG, forbidding interruption.

They will give you an opportunity to play together and explore in a semi-social environment. And they are essentially bottomless.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Tenmar said:
KISS Style. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

Honestly just have her look around and see some games that she would be interested in playing. Picking a game for her will only make it a huge risk for you and her to understand and possibly enjoy your hobby.

Take her out and about and see what games she is interested in almost regardless of how "bad" they might be. Just having the investment and control on her behalf will encourage herself to play the game because she made the choice and she can take ownership. Doesn't matter if it is a single player, multiplayer or anything too.

If you don't own any consoles then show her ya steam library and have her roam the steam shop or Gamer's Gate or Greenman Gaming.

It's just important to listen to her and let her try the games she is interested in.
This guy is the one to listen to. People are approaching it from a "what's a good co-op game" standpoint, but that's the wrong angle to approach it from. Be there to let her know what the games are about if she can't figure it out, and if she asks (AND ONLY IF SHE ASKS) whether the games were CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED as good or not. Giving an unasked-for opinion, especially a personal one, indicates distrust in her and her tastes. Though if you're married, you probably don't need me to tell you that... :X

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Find the sausage is always a blast.

Wait........actual games?........DnD?

MrYen

Apr 3, 2013
Topic update. Will add this post to the original post.

[SUGGESTIONS ]

I've attempted to separate your suggestions in groupings of decreasing viability, so best suggestions in the top grouping and so on. All suggestions and experiences are very welcome but I must parse them based on the situation. By way of replying and briefly explaining my choices I will stick a comment onto each suggestion once I figure out how to do text formatting on this forum :)

Bioshock series
Castle Crashers
DnD (pen & paper)
Fable 3 (her in charge)
Minecraft /w Skype
Portal 2 (co-op)
The Longest Journey

MMOs
Puzzle Pirate
Terraria

Mario Kart
Rock Band 3
Worms Armageddon

[POINTS WELL MADE]

In an effort to summarize your greatly appreciated input I will paraphrase your points. These are sort of my notes.

Adventure games are good for a couple because you can think together about the solutions. Best to play a game that is new to both players. -Doom972

In regard to Fable 3 co-op; Have her play the lead hero and let her do the combat. There're more than enough available choices that she won't have to worry about whether or not she's "doing it right," but not so much that she won't know what to do first. She's also likely to get a kick out of the dialogue and the way your heroes can romance each other. -templar1138a

Keep It Simple Stupid! Let her browse and pick a game without censoring it or her, embrace her choice. -Tenmar & uncanny474

Thank you very much for your input! :D

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
MrYen said:
Topic update. Will add this post to the original post.

[SUGGESTIONS ]

I've attempted to separate your suggestions in groupings of decreasing viability, so best suggestions in the top grouping and so on. All suggestions and experiences are very welcome but I must parse them based on the situation. By way of replying and briefly explaining my choices I will stick a comment onto each suggestion once I figure out how to do text formatting on this forum :)

Bioshock series
Castle Crashers
DnD (pen & paper)
Fable 3 (her in charge)
Minecraft /w Skype
Portal 2 (co-op)
The Longest Journey

MMOs
Puzzle Pirate
Terraria

Mario Kart
Rock Band 3
Worms Armageddon

[POINTS WELL MADE]

Thank you very much for your input! :D
let everyone know how it goes.