What games do women play?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I like all the games.

Female 31 years old.

Bioshock Infinite. This game is amazing. Everyone must play eet. Already finished it three times, twice on 1999 mode.
Dark Souls. It's like...so satisfying to beat and play and all the different builds you can try are really entertaining.
Tomb Raider. A really good reboot. Exciting entertaining not much more to say.

Jesus too hard of a thread dude too hard :p

What's most important for you to enjoy a game: It has to be either fun or interesting. It can be either or both. If it's neither then...yeah.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fappy said:
Adam Jensen said:
Mind games. They play mind games.

My gf plays pretty much everything. She is more of a console gamer though because of the fighting games which is her favorite genre. And she's absolutely incredible. I can't win. Ever.
That's the total opposite of my experience. All the women I know have one thing in common regarding video games... they all suck at fighting games.

No idea why, really XD
You need to meet better women. There's something really erotic about losing a Mortal Kombat match to a girl.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Adam Jensen said:
Fappy said:
Adam Jensen said:
Mind games. They play mind games.

My gf plays pretty much everything. She is more of a console gamer though because of the fighting games which is her favorite genre. And she's absolutely incredible. I can't win. Ever.
That's the total opposite of my experience. All the women I know have one thing in common regarding video games... they all suck at fighting games.

No idea why, really XD
You need to meet better women. There's something really erotic about losing a Mortal Kombat match to a girl.
Lol, I wouldn't know about that XD

My girlfriend still hasn't let me forget about the time we were playing Persona 4 Arena and she got me down to a sliver of health while she was at like 90%. I took off the training wheels and killed her in like two combos...

"WHAT THE FUCK!? REALLY?! YOU COULDN'T JUST LET ME WIN!?"

If you're ever in a similar situation I suggest you don't follow my example >.>

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
I'm in my mid-twenties and lately I've been playing:

- Borderlands
- L.A Noire
- Dragon Age Origins

Other games I like: the Mass Effect series, Alan Wake, Grim Fandango, Deadly Premonition etc. Looking forward to playing Bioshock Infinite, although I do think that I should finish the first game first.

I love games that have good story storylines/ interesting characters and have zero interest in MMOs and most sports games.

TheRaggedQueen

Nov 10, 2011
Your girlfriend needs to just get better. If my boyfriend ever actually managed to win a match of P4A against me I think I'd pass out from the shock. Admittedly, he's mainly into strategy games anyway, but still.

As for games I've recently played:

1. Bioshock Infinite (Shocking, I know)
2. Persona 4:Golden.
3. Dark Souls.

Gotta love me some Dark souls.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Lady here, and I will play all the games if it interests me.

I mainly play RPGs and adventure games like Uncharted and God of War. I do like quirky games like Catherine and Ghost Trick if it's any good and interesting enough. I do love horror games though with Silent Hill being the big one, and Amnesia as well. Dead Space is pretty good too, and I have yet to play the latest one due to massive backlog.

I don't like FPS games though outside of Borderlands because it's just so damn awesome and fun. I don't play MMOs either since they bore me, but the Elder Scrolls one might break that for me.

At the moment I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas, Gravity Rush, Suikoden, and Pokemon Emerald.

Minjoltr

Aug 6, 2008
26, F.

Recently been playing:

Fallout New Vegas
Don't Starve
Minecraft (Feed the Beast modpack)

As for what's most important to me playing a game - I like a good story, I prioritise fun over realism and I love my Gauss Rifle. I also love stealth and games with challenges which amount to more than 'Use violence to solve problem.' I prefer to use my brain to solve problems.
I'm also a cheapskate - £40 for 12 hours of gameplay does not seem good value to me. I want more content for my money and I rarely re-play stories, so cheap, open-ended games like Minecraft and Don't Starve appeal to me.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
MMOs are a hotbed of female gamers. I've been playing those (regularly) since WoW burst onto the scene, and whatever preferred voice chat service is used for guilds, nearly half are filled with women. In fact, RPGs in general have a large female fanbase.

cakedcrusader

Sep 21, 2011
What three games have you played and enjoyed lately? Nothing new, I'm broke. But Bastion is my hobby right now and Limbo is awesome. I quite like Assassins Creed (1&2) and Spec: Ops the line is the best I've ever played

What is most important for you to enjoy a game? Characterization and gameplay: it's hard to like a game is you have to cripple your hands to play it (cough, asscreed, cough)and if the character you're playing is bland it just isn't fun to imagine yourself in there shoes.

For the record - I'm a girl and I gotta be honest, a lot of the time I feel like most of the male gamers feel hostile towards girls because they think we're just pretending to like games to get them to like us or whatever. Also, women in games are always sexy, skinny, with massive boobs and butts and stuff like that turns girls off, because it makes us feel crap about ourselves as the girl characters are almost always just used as love interests - they aren't real, just holes for the protagonist to stick his prick in.

Or things like the XBox Live CoD matches - they were almost enough for me to just give up, cos before I got my own Xbox and games i was on my brothers Xbox and all the other players on a CoD online match were really mean and i was like 13 so that really upset me.

I feel like the industry as a whole just excludes females, or tries to, in case girls are just "fake" "nerds" or are below the attentions of the industry.

There'd be more girl gamers if girls weren't:
a) treated as plot continuations (love interests)
b) thrown in to spice it up (cough, asscreed2, cough)
c) excluded from box art (Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite - and the girl from the Last Of Us - the developers had to fight tooth and nail to get her on the box art)
d)objectified as much (refer to previous stereotypical girl in a game)

(sorry i went on a bit, i hope all that helps)

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
My gf like shooters, LoL and we're playing an mmo right now. Pretty much anything that can let her kill other people.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
The following is a full and complete list of video games, my finacee has player over the past 6 months, in order of frequency:

Skyrim.

End List.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
That's a bit like saying to a women who likes cars, what cars do you drive. Chances are it's going to be the ones men drive for the same reasons. It's not so much the gender that makes the difference, it's the personality and preferences.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Thanatos5150 said:
The following is a full and complete list of video games, my finacee has player over the past 6 months, in order of frequency:

Skyrim.

End List.
Did Skyrim occupy the entire six months?
... Because it can.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'm female (a cis one if that's important), am turning 30 Sunday next, and the last three games I spent considerable time playing is:

- Borderlands 1 & 2 (Counting them as one BECAUSE) (liking it)
- Tomb Raider (LOVED it)
- Assassin's Creed III (It was... alright; buggy and rather underwhelming though)

Games I enjoy playing are usually RPGs or Action/Adventure type games. Some of the games I've most enjoyed are: Skyrim, Morrowind, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 and Revelations, Prince of Persia, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, (Telltale Games) Walking Dead, Longest Journey & Dreamfall, Deus Ex: HR, Psychonauts, Thief series, Dungeons of Dredmore, Mass Effect 1 & 2 (haven't played 3), Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire... EDIT: oh and Minecraft, can't believe I forgot that one...

I could go on and on and on. I guess I usually look for a game with an engaging story, or one where I can make my own story. OR, in the case of Borderlands, when I just feel the need to pop someone's head with a sniper rifle because CATHARTIC.

Also I can forgive rubbish controls if the game has an engaging, fun, and/or well-done story, but I will usually stop playing if the story is rubbish too.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
My wife and I play COD together. She's also a fan of classic RTS games like Rise of Nations. Trying to introduce her to RPGs but we'll see where that goes.

But as far as agreggate data, the last study I saw that actually broke this down (from 2009) put 80% of women as having the Wii as their main console. 11% played 360 and 9% played ps3.

http://kotaku.com/5411707/nintendo-boasts-9-million-player-advantage-among-female-console-gamers
http://www.onlineeducation.net/videogame

That is actually a significant difference between primary consoles of males. At the time of that study, females were 40% of the overall gaming demographic and there's no statistical evidence to support that the current number of females (47%) express any different distribution of gaming trends. In fact, the rapid increase of rapid female gamers also closely coincides with the evolution of smartphone gaming.

I'd love to see more studies on this kind of thing since there are some clear differences in preferred game type by demographic. Hopefully future studies will specify game genres and such to give useable data to developers.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Lately, I (a 25 year old female gamer) have played Skyrim, Might & Magic Heroes VI, and Fallout 3, and I enjoyed all three.

I enjoyed Skyrim pretty much without qualifications; the only frustration I ever feel with that game are a lack of hairstyles I like and not being able to spend my gobs of end game money on world-changing events, such as opening a wildly successful business or rebuilding a temple. These objections are small, however, compared to the good points of the game.

I enjoyed Might & Magic Heroes VI, but I wish the faction balance was a bit better and that the game was less glitchy.

I enjoyed Fallout 3, but I felt the environments needed more variation and that some of the mechanics (repairing stuff, for example) were frustrating. Unlike with Skyrim, I only ever made one character, and I didn't explore every corner of the world. The early to middle stages of the game, however, were VERY engaging.

What is most important for me to enjoy in a game? In rough order of importance: Immersion, the right level of challenge, and an engaging plot/setting.

If I can't get really deeply immersed in a game, I usually lose interest in it fairly quickly. This is why I prefer games that let me play female characters, as I can get immersed in such a character better and more quickly. That said, I don't mind playing male avatars if the game mandates it, so long as I can get immersed in the character. Getting immersed means that the game needs to either provide passive, silent background cues for my character's personality (that I can then build on), or it needs to let me construct the personality completely. For example, I adore Persona 4, even though it doesn't let you totally create your character's personality; however, it does stay pretty far out of the way and takes a minimalist approach to giving you a foundation to work on, so it works for me. Games like Skyrim are ideal, because they're completely free-form (which adds greatly to immersion on its own) and let you totally dictate your character's personality.

I also need the right level of challenge: not too hard, but not too easy. Games with difficulty level settings are ideal, because then I can adjust the level of challenge to where I want it. Sometimes I'm in the mood to curb stomp my enemies, so it's nice to be able to set a game on Easy Mode and go nuts. More often I want an honest, meaty challenge, and I then set the difficulty level higher. (For the record, I have always been stymied by the idea of "girl games" that make the game easy; when I was a teen I played Zelda II, basically the hardest game I've ever played, through to completion, twice. I was, at the time, the most hardcore gamer I knew. So it's pretty fallacious to me to think that girls aren't as hardcore. Some are, sure -- I know some -- but some, like me, can really enjoy and even prefer difficulty.)

Finally, I enjoy games with an engaging plot and/or setting. In the case of the three games I listed for question one, none of their plots terribly engage me (though they're not bad, per se), but the settings really engage me. In the case of the Legend of Zelda series, which I enjoyed for a long time, both the setting and (especially) the plots engaged me.

In my experiences in the gaming world, there's as much variation among female gamers as among male gamers, really. My roommate is also a gamer, but she approaches games very differently from how I do.

There! I hope this helps you with your school project.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Well, my girlfriend tends to play more puzzle based games, from things ranging from Solitaire to Lumines. She really enjoys those kind of games. She also plays The Sims, Sim City and Cities XL. I have tried to introduce her to games more history bases, like Heavy Rain, but so far with no success. One thing she does play from time to time with me, Street Fighter IV and Soul Calibur.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Answering for my significant other:
-Portal 1 and 2
-Red Dead Redemption
-Harvest Moon
-Animal Crossing
-Skyrim
-Fallout 3
-LA Noire
-Kingdom Hearts
-Ocarina of Time
-Okami
-The Sims

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure women play... games. Any games, all the same games any guy might play. i really don't see the purpose to this question. Personally (as i guy) i play RPG's, action and adventure games the most. My girl friend plays many of the same games I do. If you want a short list of what she played most recently, here it is:
- Skyrim
- Rayman Origins
- Fable II
- Batman Arkham City
- Minecraft
- Serious Sam 3
and anything that's co-op.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
One of my exes loved God of War and Red Dead Redemption and is off doing game design now, but I also know a girl who's a humongous Skyrim/Halo/Minecraft junkie and another who likes Amnesia and Silent Hill and the like. My sister is into Ratchet and Clank, but she also liked the Prince of Persia games particularly, and kept nagging me to plug my laptop into the TV whist I was playing Bioshock Infinite, so she could see.

Basically, as far as I can tell, girls have just as varied tastes in games as guys do. Although I've yet to meet a female RTS player.