What games do you feel got "missed out" on this generation?

BM19

Sep 24, 2012
There's some we all know, sure, like "Beyond Good and Evil" or "Psychnauts" from a generation or two ago, but what about more recent games? No necessary cult classics, either, but just GOOD.

I, for one, FINALLY got around to playing Xenoblade Chronicles, and I'm incredibly disappointed that it didn't warrant a full NA release. Still have a good 20 or so hours to go from my estimation, and its still going strong as one of the most unique RPGs (J or otherwise) that I've ever played.

And yes, it IS Reyn time.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Since i dont own a PS3 id say Uncharted series. Am dying to play Uncharted games eventually i will get around to it somehow someday.

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
I feel like a lot of people skipped Alan Wake for one reason or another. It wasn't perfect, but it had a great atmosphere and a compelling story, and it's one of the few "cinematic" games I can think of that I've been totally invested in.

Also, Kirby's Epic Yarn doesn't get enough love.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Natural Selection 2.

It hasn'tbeen a failure by any measure, but it is so much fun, everyone who like multiplayer shooters should play it, it's how Alien vs Predator's multiplayer could have been.

Also, finally getting power armour can induce both joy and panic from both teams at the same time.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Not much aside from Armored Core 4, For Answer, and V, and maybe everything Halo after 2.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Guys, I think the topic is about what most players missed, not what you missed.

I kind of wanted to say State of Decay but sales numbers would sugest otherwise (most sites never reviewed it despise setting a new standard for survival sandbox games, yet games like Thomas Was Alone gets a wank fest out of everyone).

So I will say Crackdown, it wasnt just a Halo 3 Beta, it was a fucking awesome game.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
RogueportJack said:
I feel like a lot of people skipped Alan Wake for one reason or another. It wasn't perfect, but it had a great atmosphere and a compelling story, and it's one of the few "cinematic" games I can think of that I've been totally invested in.

Geez, I think I messed up and created a sort of duplicate thread on Games.

Did you get Alan Wake on 360 or PC? I'm wondering why there's still a price difference between the two. Is it a bunch of extra content on the PC version?

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Before Last Light came out, nearly everyone I know hadn't played Metro 2033. I loved it, and actually replayed it about 8 times just because I loved stealthing through it. Not saying it's the best game, but I think it got missed out.

I feel like The Witcher (1 and 2) got ignored quite a bit, again nearly everyone I know hasn't played either. Both great games in my opinion.

And for a game that I've missed out on, The Mass Effect series. It kinda went under my radar, and then it got to the point I was sick of hearing it and hated the idea of even getting it.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I think a lot of people missed out on Binary Domain. It was a great TPS, had a good story, and great graphics.

I think a lot of people skipped it because of the voice commands, but you can shut them off as soon as you start playing.

RogueportJack

Jun 13, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
RogueportJack said:

Geez, I think I messed up and created a sort of duplicate thread on Games.

Did you get Alan Wake on 360 or PC? I'm wondering why there's still a price difference between the two. Is it a bunch of extra content on the PC version?
I have it for 360. Bought it around the time it launched at $60 dollars. I didn't know there was a price difference now, but I believe the PC version comes with the both of the DLCs that were released, so that may account for it.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Red Orchestra 2 never really did achieve the success I believe it deserves. In an earlier topic I was griping about how stupidly violent and repetitive shooters often are these days so it seems to be hypocritical of me to recommend a WW2 shooter of all things, but the way in which it presents itself is just different from any other shooter in the market today.

It doesn't glorify war for one. It's dark, it's brutal, and honestly I can't even play it for long stretches because it's simply too intense. Hearing the screams of dying allies and enemies alike or having the screen shaking constantly from shellshock as explosions erupt around you, any one of which could kill you in an instant... it's just a completely different sort of experience than what you get with your Battlefields or your Call of Duties. I'd highly recommend it if only for a different perspective on a genre that's gotten so mired in clones and achievements over the years.

Michaluk

Jan 30, 2012
The Stalker series - especially the first game, is excellent. I think it got severely short changed by reviewers due to its tough learning curve. It stands out for me because it's one of the few modern AAA games I can think of that's actually difficult. Great atmosphere, tough survival aspects, good shooting / sneaking combination.

Just Cause 2 - Readers of the Escapist will surely know this game but others often don't. Just an all around solid, well made game with a great travel mechanic. It's very repetitive so completionists might not like it very much, but for people that are content with only getting 30% and finishing the story it's a ton of fun.

These were both huge games, so obviously many people didn't miss out on them. But based on their quality and budget they should have been blockbusters and they weren't. When people ask me for suggestions for older, but not too old, games to look for on sale on steam I always mention these.

pyr0pr0

Dec 29, 2011
Vanquish - Third Person shooter with interesting suit powers that took a surprising amount of skill to manage properly, especially on higher difficulties that had some pretty cool bosses.

Sonic Generations - A great return to form for sonic who had been slowly building his way back to good games again. Despite the crappy final boss. Just feel like a bunch of people never gave it a chance.

Section 8: Prejudice - A multiplayer focused first person shooter with dynamic objectives, jetpacks, and a really cool sprint mechanic.

Super Monday Night Combat - Very skill based third person shooter Moba with a great free to play business model and a hilarious sense of humor.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Deadly Premonition - You have another chance to get this game now that the director's cut has been released on PS3!!!
An amazing game with an obvious amount of love and care and attention to detail put into it. Think Majora's Mask combined with Silent Hill and a little bit of Resident Evil, and a lot of Twin Peaks. Humorous and funny yet terrifying and creepy. With a great soundtrack to boot. This game is art, no doubt in my mind.

Catherine - An extremely unique game with a great story, great art style, great music. They tried a lot of interesting different combinations of parts with this game, and for me they just all combine together perfectly. Overlooked because it's part puzzle game, but the puzzles are fun and challenging and the characters and writing make you really want to get to the next rest area quickly.

I'll post more if I remember em

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
The Bioshock games.
They look cool and I'll eventually get around to them.

There were a few Asscree games I didn't play. I like them but they come out with one every year.

Envy Omicron

Apr 27, 2013
How has no one mentioned Spec Ops: The Line yet? Considering the site this is on, I thought it would've been one of the first games spoken of.