What games - if any - have moved you?

Rossiar

Oct 29, 2009
This was born from an argument with my friend were he believed that gaming was not as "productive" or "meaningful" as reading a book. Granted he conceded that film, TV and gaming are all on the same level, but the concept of a book - more specifically a work of fiction - and a game being the same thing was an alien to him. We argued back and forth and finally he comes out with the line "but has a game ever moved you?"

This got me thinking. I'm only 19 but I have played quite a lot of games. Across the genres and the consoles and from indie to AAA. What bothered me was that I could only think of a handful of games that had evoked a meaningful feeling in me. I'm not talking about the brief joy of bagging a head shot or solving that really difficult puzzle, or even the joy from moulding a character to your play style. Real emotions. The kind that - as I was acutely aware of when it was said - are found at the end of a really good book, or in a film, or even sometimes in a TV program.

My handful were:

-Portal (Deep feeling of pure joy as Still Alive played)
-Portal 2 (Broad grin spreads across my face as the end credits roll)
-Grim Fandango (Sat back in my chair, dazed wonder at the completion of this masterpiece)

Now that doesn't seem right to me. I enjoy gaming, I love it. Why then, can I not find a deeper connection with my medium? I am overjoyed to hear news of gaming being excepted as an art form and taking great strides out of obscurity and into the limelight. But it hasn't quite reached me yet. So I was wondering - what games moved you guys? I'd like to think that I've missed out on a wealth of great experiences in gaming and this place is always a good one to come to for advice.

In the lull before the Autumn releases I don't have much to play so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I want something more than just enjoyment. I want to be moved.

siffty

Jul 12, 2009
Heavy rain; it was just the amount of diffent storys and just all of the little thinga that made me just go wow.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Planescape:Torment. I was just leaning back, contemplating and smiling.

I was also screaming in pure bloody rage at the end of Neverwinter Nights 2, if that counts. It should. That ending completely ruined my week.

Jake|Ranger

Mar 10, 2011
I've never been moved by a game that I can think of other than the enjoyment factor and the satification at winning. But that doesn't make books any better. I've read plenty of books and I've never really felt that moved by any.

I've been moved by movies before though. If anyone didn't get upset when Mufasa died or Bambi's mum died, you're heartless.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. If these games do not move you, then gaming just isn't for you.

L3W15 M

Jul 28, 2011
Metal gear solid. Halo reach (because you go through the game denying the fact you know everyone dies, and then you go out like a hero) Red dead redemption due to John dying to stop Jack follow in his footsteps and then Jack does anyway.
I think also half life deserves a mention.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
Team Fortress 2... it moved me away from my pc because it is so bad :D

OT: Fallout 3. The whole world and atmosphere is vey moving and engaging.

Oh and one that failed to move me but tried SO hard was Halo Reach. Some of the deaths (especially Kat's) were laughable.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Nier. That got me thinking. A few instances in Dragon Age 2. The Arrival DLC for Mass Effect 2. Bioshock 2. I'm sure there are more, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are.

Mar 9, 2010
There's a particular moment in Gears of War 2 that's quite moving.

Both endings to Red Dead Redemption.

The ending to Mafia 2.

Those are the current generation games that I can say moved me. How many books have moved you though?

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
First of all I'm insulted that gaming and Tv series have been grouped together with films. As for the topic at hand, both MEs had very satisfying conclusions, and well... Mordin Solus. Aeris' death was very moving too, despite everything else being fairly overrated. I wouldn't say games are necessarily moving, from the ones I've played, but definately evoke emotions. U think the Bioware games I've played have all made me feel every emotion.
Jake|Ranger said:
I've never been moved by a game that I can think of other than the enjoyment factor and the satification at winning. But that doesn't make books any better. I've read plenty of books and I've never really felt that moved by any.

I've been moved by movies before though. If anyone didn't get upset when Mufasa died or Bambi's mum died, you're heartless.
Guess I'm heartless, films don't have enough time for me to be emotionally connected. I was upset with various deaths in The Wire, and circumstances in Puella Magi Madoka Magica though, so maybe I just think films aren't that good a medium *shrugs*. Oh, and I also didn't get moved by Littlefoot's mothers death either, despite loving those films as a child, bar the songs.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Red Dead Redmption is probably gonna turn up around here a fair bit, but i can get behind that. Both soundtracks that played after the major scenes i.e. Dutch and John just fit so well i can't quite describe that feeling.

Also i was actually pretty moved by Professor Layton and Pandora's Box(that's the Diabolical Box to all you yanks). The story that was unveiled at the end was just so sad(though maybe a bit cliched). It was just so damn well done i can't get it out of my head.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
The Secret of Monkey Island
Uncharted 2
Max Payne 1
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Persona 3: FES
Klonoa 2
Half Life 2
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Eternal Sonata

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. If these games do not move you, then gaming just isn't for you.
These two. Pretty much the only games that made me cry so far.