What Games Should Stop Being Made?

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Xangba said:
Wait, sorry, seriously? I have no problem with someone loving Halo (my best friend loves it to death) but I can't really find it a brilliantly told story when the main character is essentially a god (come on basically MC can do no wrong) but the "multiplayer thrown in on the side" is a flatout lie. That is what the game is designed around. Sorry, not trying to bash the game or anything, but your statement confused me.
P.S. yes I do enjoy playing the game too! :)
The games themselves doesn't really present the story in game-play or cutscenes, but there is actually a whole lot of lore surrounding the franchise if you do a little bit of research. Books, wikipedia.. basically the story is actually just a nice distraction for those interested in it, and there's something special about playing through the game and recognizing something that only someone who read about it would be able to really know about.

But even without the books, the Halo games at least present an okay story line, even if it is a bit run-of-the-mill.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Uncharted. I loved all the games, but I think it can end now. And while I think that 3 had better multiplayer than 2, 3's single player experience felt a tad bit poorer than 2's overall. But still, it was by no means a dud, so I could live with it if they made another one, though I don't see the need for one.

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
First of all, I'm just going to say that pretty much ALL franchises are just "milking the cow" as soon as they announce any sequel; it just depends on how well they keep the franchise afloat and realizing when they need to move on to other things. It's one of the reasons that I like Naughty Dog: they make a few main titles for a franchise, add on a spin-off or two to please the fans, and then move on to there next project.

That said, I can't really think of franchises that I really want to die since a lot of them have something unique to offer their audience. If I had to put something out there, I'd probably go with the Assassin's Creed series, which really hit it's stride with AC2 and the rest has been sort of down hill. I'll also probably be angry with Bioware if they decide to make and Mass Effect 4.

Mostly, I don't care if a company continues to keep making a franchise as long as it's either trying to expand what you can do with the game or try out new things with it. It's one of the reason's I continue to support franchises like Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy: Even though a lot of the core is the same as the past games, they are trying out some new things with each title to see how they work, and not just sticking with what they have always done, even if it doesn't work as well as previous games.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
an874 said:
tippy2k2 said:
*Bangs head against something hard repeatedly

Seriously, I don't understand why you would want any game series to stop being made. Here's a tip: If you don't like a game (or series), you don't have to buy it.

Shocking, I know...

Every game series has it's fans, why would you want to rob them of it?

Gun to my head, I HAVE to choose something, I'd go with shovel-ware (or pick a shovel-ware game/series). Broken games that only exist to confuse Grandma at Christmas time.
Couldn't have said it better myself, except at the end I would have added sports sims and movie license games (although movie license games sort of overlap with the Grandma Xmas games).
Ever think some people like those sports sims? The changes made to Madden and The Show every year are more than DLC can give, unless you feel like a 10gb save file. I still buy The Show every year, and I would for Madden, but the Superman glitch that never got fixed killed it for me.
I'm sure people like sports sims. They wouldn't still be around, doing the same fucking thing every year if they didn't sell. Yeah, lots of changes (sarcasm); A roster update (something that COULD be covered with dlc) and minor tweaks to the gameplay (a fucking patch). Just because it's 10gb doesn't mean it deserves it, it just means you payed for a overblown and overpriced dlc and a patch.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
As much as this pains me to say it, Final Fantasy. I mean, I think it hit its peak at 13, and fell down when they made the goddamned damsel in distress the protagonist of the next game. That, and we'll never see Vanille again. Other characters may try to be Vanille, but they'll fail, because they're not Vanille.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I will never understand why people want Mario to end. Yeah it hasn't ever been as good as it is with Mario 3 and World, but everything after hasn't bee bad either? The spin offs sure have their stinkers, but the core Mario games are great even if they never achieve the status of fantastic. To say Mario should end is like saying, "Man, that meal we just had was great, and the service here is spectacular... lets never eat here again! :D". They should make the games as long as they can keep making them fun and entertaining, and considering how good Mario 3D land was, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

You might as well say you want plat-formers to die off to, because Mario is one of the VERY FEW left. That is not really fair to anyone who loves that genre of games.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Just the sports games. Seriously, wtf? Go outside and play football, or soccer. Street hockey is just as fun as regular hockey, with the thrill of 'you might get hit by a car'. And baseball... fuck baseball.

I don't buy them, so I shouldn't complain (but I will), but I want to question the dude who created sport based games.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I wouldn't want any game series to stop. Polishing preexisting titles (titles that were already good to begin with) just raise the bar and let more innovative titles shine. If we had countless Braids or Limbos people would complain about not having more substantial series.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
LiL said:
LilithSlave said:
Vault101 said:
No, no, NO, NO!
Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.
how is any new mario game different from any other mario game though?

your content to spend money on the same game very year?

same thing for zelda, nintendo has been milkin these cows for far too long
you mean like EA milks their sports titles? or how about CoD, its no different, if not worse then Mario in regards to being milked.

I'd rather pay for a 'copy and paste' from Nintendo then DICE or EA, least Nintendo actually ADDS or experiments with things per new installment.

OT:
FPS games on the whole
Cover based 3rd Person shooters
Final Fantasy
cliche ridden JRPGs
Resident Evil
Armored Core (if its not dead already)

crappingpegasus

Mar 3, 2012
any series that's currently on a yearly schedule.

at the very least, games like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Halo should be forced to take a 2 year (min.) break between releases.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
LiL said:
LilithSlave said:
Vault101 said:
No, no, NO, NO!
Don't dare take Mario away from me, ever.
how is any new mario game different from any other mario game though?

your content to spend money on the same game very year?

same thing for zelda, nintendo has been milkin these cows for far too long
If you're going to tell me that Skyward Sword is the same game as The Legend of Zelda on the NES, or even Ocarina of time or Twilight Princess, then I'm sorry, but you are quite mad. Same thing goes for the Mario series. Also, Zelda games and Mario games aren't released every year.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Soul Calibur
Crash Bandicoot (They've killed him now though HD remasters of the Naughty Dog games would be nice)
That's all from me

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
Soul Calibur
Crash Bandicoot (They've killed him now though HD remasters of the Naughty Dog games would be nice)
That's all from me

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
First person military gun wank games.

And sports games, or at least EA's annual celebrity endorsed sports franchise games anyway.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Pokemon Black2 and White2 is kind of running out of ideas, don't you think?