What games that were bad that you saw potential in?

Newa

May 7, 2010
My disappointment was the mmorpg Aion. It was sexy to look at, but not fun to play.

Koloman Varady

Apr 2, 2010
I'm gonna say Mass Effect 2 only for the mining. The game is so wonderful... but the mining is so obviously terrible. How do you have a product so awesome but with this incredibly glaring flaw? haha

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Tabula Rasa and Warhammer Online were SUCH fun to play in beta, total suckfests when they went gold. =/ Do they count or is this a platform-only question. >_o

Newa said:
My disappointment was the mmorpg Aion. It was sexy to look at, but not fun to play.
Because of my previous experiences (like those I mentoined above), that is precisely why I didn't play Aion at all. I wanted to see if it survived 6 months before investing any time into it. ><

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Deus Ex.
*Raises flameshield*
Let me explain: I understand that it has great replay value and near endless possibilities for so many situations, which allow you to play it over and over again. However, playing it over and over would only work if the gameplay is fun. However, Deus Ex's gameplay was TERRIBLE.

Henrik Persson

Mar 14, 2010
Master of Orion 3. It could easily have been the greatest 4X game ever made, but they fucked it up. From what I hear by firing the lead programmer a few months before release and changing what he was trying to do.

Also, Fallout 3. Imagine how good that game would have been if it had decent characters, dialogue and story.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I'll go with Just Cause 2. I really really like playing the game, just not the campaign. I wish I did though. Some of the controls seem clunky to me as well.

captainaweshum

May 1, 2010
Freebird. said:
Far Cry 2 would've been much better if you could move around the map quicker and the stealth aspect actually worked. Removing the glitches would've been nice too.

There's also Mirror's Edge. It wasn't exactly bad, but it was kind of frustrating to see a game that could've been made awesome so easily end out so average. One way to make it better would've been a more open world. Mirror's Edge is a lot better once you know your way around and an open world would have made that very easy. Another way is to actually let you outside. For a parkour game I spent a hell of a lot of time indoors. One final way would be to make multiple ways to get to your target. It would remove some of the puzzle aspect, but would allow the game to flow much better
These few changes would have made both games brilliant. The potential was there but the developers never fully used it.
Mirrors Edge for sure.

DrHoboPHD

Feb 9, 2009
theSovietConnection said:
Flying-Emu said:
Anticitizen_Two said:
Left 4 Dead 2, Crysis, Far Cry 2
Why do you list L4D2, and not L4D1, when they're the exact same game?
Maybe because L4D2 was more of the same when he wanted something different? I know that was my biggest problem with it.
And jus twhat were you expecting from it?

This is what I really don't get about the boycotters, is like triple the number of guns, double the number of SI inclusion of UI (which admittedly only mattered on certain campaigns.) inclusion of Melee weapons, more equipment, five new campaigns, a very fun new game mode and significantly better balancing not enough for you people? What exactly were you hoping for, vehicle sections?! (the sad part is some people will probably say yes to that....)

Like, okay, yes it was disappointing that the weather thing and changing to the layout of the campaigns was bullshit (and that disappointment turned to rage when you realized how much they hyped those aspects) but that just makes Valve full of shit, it doesn't make L4D2 the exact same game.

On topic:

Far Cry 2 (SOO much potential)

Jericho (put a bit more effort into the characters, increase the length and make the story tighter with a real ending)

GTA4 (okay it wasn't bad but it is genuinely the most overhyped game ever, and it's numerous flaws were obvious and avoidable)

Coaxill

Dec 22, 2009
Most disappointing was Fallout 3
Then came Splinter Cell conviction, MW2, Doom 3, Rainbow Six: Lockdown, and Far Cry 2.
I just wish they made Far Cry 2 a linear FPS with large open levels. That's what the Far Cry series has been good for so far. They also didn't have any superpowers.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Anticitizen_Two said:
But it's not. You yourself noted how Shiva corner camping is much less effective. That was the entire foundation of the first game.
Fair enough. They made it so that the game required more tactical skill than finding a closet and firing at a door every six or seven minutes.

I suppose that arguing whether or not that improved the game is a basis of taste, and therefore not worth the time.

Have a nice day.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Flying-Emu said:
Anticitizen_Two said:
But it's not. You yourself noted how Shiva corner camping is much less effective. That was the entire foundation of the first game.
Fair enough. They made it so that the game required more tactical skill than finding a closet and firing at a door every six or seven minutes.

I suppose that arguing whether or not that improved the game is a basis of taste, and therefore not worth the time.

Have a nice day.
Alright, you too.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I know there is a lot of games, but I can't really remember any D:
Shadow Hearts I guess. Well, the third one. It's the only one I've played. It had really, REALLY good potential, but something about it is really bad...

mrsketchy

Mar 11, 2010
Drakengard had potential to be a great cinematic game but cramped it up with horrible last minute thought gameplay and grindy tendancies that shittied up the epic tale