What games that you have played have genuinely great stories?

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
I was thinking about this when I was discussing why games are worth playing for more than just shooting other people online, but when I came to thinking about games with stories that really pulled me in and got me emotionally invested I could only name a few:

Bioshock
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect (all of them)

I was wondering if you could help me list some games that integrate the story into most if not all of the content of the game, keeping you engaged throughout, without losing interest.

On a personal note, I didn't list final fantasy because the games have a habit of starting in media res (in the middle of a bigger plot where all characters are already busy doing stuff) and not telling you things early on, and then compounding the awkwardness by storytelling via extensive cutscenes. These things just put me off completely, because I'm not going to sit through 10 minutes of dialogue and pretty action sequences about people I don't care about (I'm looking at you XXIII!).

EDIT: Thank you all for reminding me of some other great ones:
Shadow of the Colossus
Portal 1 and 2.

EDIT 2: Some more:
Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 (didn't care much for number 1)
Paper Mario and the thousand year door (love the detective bit, so good)
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (I have fury!!)
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (nowhere near as good as the first one, but still good. Probably due to lack of fawful)
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story (my favourite - FAWFUL IS THE MAIN VILLIAN!! I have joy!!)

EDIT 3:
ICO
Super Metroid
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (this one's a bit of a cheat as I haven't actually played it, but I watched a complete run through)

I'll add any more if you guys remind me.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I think that Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer has a good story

The problem is that it is a tad bit too subtle and you kind of have to look for it. But what you find is rather good

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Golden Sun has a great story, not played Dark Dawn so don't know how it continues. Killer 7 was great but so confusing.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
well you pretty much listed all the good ones!

Chrono Trigger made me cry

I thought the Myst series had great stories...but that's old hat to most of you now :/

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
Cuppa Tetleys said:
Bioshock
Chrono Trigger
Basically that with some others:

System Shock 2
TWEWY
Deus Ex
Some Tales of [insert name here] games

Aspergo

May 20, 2010
System Shock 2 had a good story in my opinion. Also, the storry of Morrowind was also quite interesting :)

Grell Sutcliff

May 25, 2011
well not all of fallout 3 or new vegas but some quests here and there have great stories
like the kill harold quest or the pitt, and well megaman legends has an okay story but has a great twist near the end of the first game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
CM156 said:
I think that Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer has a good story

The problem is that it is a tad bit too subtle and you kind of have to look for it. But what you find is rather good
Someone talking about an Obsidian game without bitching about the bugginess? Someone mark the calender!

Anyways, yes, but I'd extend that to all Obsidian games. I honestly feel that no two of their stories are alike.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
In addition to the OP's short but sweet list, I would add

Metal Gear Solid (1-3 specifically, 4 was a mess)
Red Dead Redemption
Lost Odyssey

I know there are others, but those are a few games where I felt "emotionally invested" to the end.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and most every other Bioware game as well (KotOR, Jade Empire, and even Dragon Age)

MamushiLT

Jun 30, 2011
Cuppa Tetleys said:
Bioshock
Chrono Trigger
I agree with Bioshock I was disappointed with Bioshock 2 but that was mainly because there wasn't a need for a sequel, I only got about half way through Chrono Trigger but it was engaging nonetheless I have to replay that at some point. Mass Effect was good but I prefer Mass Effect 2 just because it pulled a massive U-turn from the get go after you've gotten used to everything from the first game. My favourite however is Persona 4 a game I highly recommend. The story was fantastic and i was surprised throughout the entire game, especially at about the 3/4 mark of the game.

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
MamushiLT said:
Cuppa Tetleys said:
Bioshock
Chrono Trigger
I agree with Bioshock I was disappointed with Bioshock 2 but that was mainly because there wasn't a need for a sequel, I only got about half way through Chrono Trigger but it was engaging nonetheless I have to replay that at some point. Mass Effect was good but I prefer Mass Effect 2 just because it pulled a massive U-turn from the get go after you've gotten used to everything from the first game. My favourite however is Persona 4 a game I highly recommend. The story was fantastic and i was surprised throughout the entire game, especially at about the 3/4 mark of the game.
Yeah, I gave Bioshock 2 a miss, just because the first one was such a well made, self-contained story, I thought the effect could only be diluted with a sequel. I'll definitely take a look at Persona 4, I've heard it's really good, but I can't stress enough how much Chrono Trigger should be played. It's the kind of game where it get's better the more you play it; and by the point where you're performing side quests involving characters' back stories by travelling through time at will, it's undoubtedly the best JRPG you've ever played. Not to spoil anything but there's one particular sequence where you must try to save a character in game, but you don't have the means to do so, and thus you must watch things unravel while you furiously attempt everything to no avail. It gave me chills.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Hunted: The Demons Forge (yes I actually liked the story)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

MrGameluvr92

Mar 16, 2011
The Metal Gear Solid series
Shadow of the Colossus (simple yet epic)
Ghost Trick Phantom Detective (story was freaking AMAZING)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
KOTOR and KOTOR 2. The first KOTOR is more of a straight up Star Wars story, well written with a great twist in the middle. KOTOR 2 on the other hand suffered because of it's unfinished nature but has a great story with some really good characters like Kreia. Obsidian also really expanded on Revan from the first game, by actually explaining why Revan went to the dark side.

Cuppa Tetleys

Mar 22, 2010
MrGameluvr92 said:
The Metal Gear Solid series
Shadow of the Colossus (simple yet epic)
Ghost Trick Phantom Detective (story was freaking AMAZING)
How could I forget about Shadow of the Colossus!!?? Thank you, I'd forgotten about that! I've never played any of the Metal Gears - I'd heard they have too many cut scenes, but with the recommendations I might give it a go.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
KotOR
Mass Effect (2 has great story telling, but maybe not a great story)
Red Dead Redemption (although the story telling suffers in the middle)
Halo as a series

There is a difference between story and story telling though. The story is the events that occur, and how they come together to form a (hopefully) cohesive narrative.
Story telling is the pacing, the medium (in games, basically whether you use cut-scenes or action), and to some degree the character's interactions.