What Genre takes the most "skill"?

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Since the definition of skill can be really subjective when it comes to gaming, when I say skill here, it can mean anything from K/D ratios, reading your opponent, mastering the playstyle, or just finding the perfect abilities for the job; this can also be either competitive skill or just skill against the game/ai in general.

So what part of gaming do you think requires the most skill of the player, and flush out your answer with why you think that.

Myself, I think its the Fighter genre. Each character requires many ins and outs of how they play, and how well they work against each character. You need to be able to read your opponent/AI to a certain degree, and now how to counter it, as well as being able to input the commands right for what you want to do.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
A game like Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, the only game I have ever known that needs skill to play

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
No poll?! YOU LIED TO MEEEEEE!

And Real Time Strategies (Age of Empires, Starcraft) require a good amount of skill, as do turn-based RPGs (Fire Emblem, Shining Force) and strategy games (Civilization).

Also, a good fighter requires skill.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
I'll say hack 'n' slash. If you can play through them without getting a cramp, blister or atheritis in your thumbs then you are very skilled.

For a proper answer I'll just say some RTSs because you have to be skilled with the controls as well as think. I'm not very good at the latter.

Jazzyluv2

Nov 20, 2009
Starcraft, the original. Management, multi-tasking, speed, meta game understanding.

that's it.

It requires such a wide variety of skills at such a high level to be able to compete even near the top.

Also, creativity, understanding of all sorts of timing windows, game sense, amazing micro and understanding of not only doing things, but WHY you do things.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
the first ninja gaiden. you have to be a ninja to complete that game... completing it makes you a fully qualified ninja.

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
RTS/Fighting games - Knowing the moves, knowing your opponents move, knowing what does what. Reading your opponent, and countering their moves.

FPS - Knowing the maps, knowing the weapons, the rest is reflex dependent and enemy dependent.

Turn Based - Stock up on health potions, enemies can be destroyed in microseconds or whittled down with bug bites. The only skill is keeping your health topped up.

Edit: Racing, it's all dependent on other racers, track, car. I'd say racing is a very skilled game.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
And Real Time Strategies (Age of Empires, Starcraft)
Debatable. From my experience they tend to just boil down to who can build the most units the quickest.

OT: There can't really be a specific genre because the genres themselves are so wide-reaching. There's turn-based RPGs like Pokemon and then there's turn-based RPGs like competitive online Pokemon.

In general I'd go with shooters, cause I'm not very good at them and consequently tend not to finish them, suggesting a need for a basic level of skill if nothing more.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hard to say.
All genres take a lot of skill to play them, especially depending on the game.
And some people are better at one type than another type.
Doesn't mean one Genre takes more skill than another.

So ill haft to say i don't know.

imperialus

Apr 20, 2009
Probably a hardcore operational level strategy game based on board wargames like one of the Hearts of Iron games, Achtung Panzer, Europa Universalis, or For the Glory.

Hell, with some of those (Europa Universalis II I'm looking at you) navigating the interface is a testimony of skill in and of itself.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
FPSs seem to require the most skill to me, with RTSs a close second, and RPGs are at the butt-end of the scale (although this is simply because that genre is the one I'm best at) With an FPS you have to be able to see every tiny movement on every bit of the screen or you'll be destroyed by the pro players who do. You need to familiarize yourself with as many of the guns as possible, and know their good and bad points, and what to pick based on the situation. In an RTS you need to know what each unit is good for, and how to counter enemy units (with the exeption of Halo Wars, where all you need are a few tanks moving in a line across the map). You need to know when to use your special abilities/god powers to their biggest effect and when to spend resourceson the more expensive unit. I guess all games require some specific type of skill, but those two genres seem to require the most to me.

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
Good RTS's, If you want to play for real and not just for fun you have to have alot of skill.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
Just about every genre takes a different type of skill.
Reaction time and aim, good for FPS. Strategy and resource management, good for RTS. Ignorance of a meaningless existence, good for whatever the hell Animal Crossing is.
Agree with you completely, I think there's no way to measure which genre requires the "most" skill, because they all require different skills. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Also, I believe Animal Crossing belongs to the "life simulator" genre.

FreelancerADP

Dec 21, 2007
There's some exotic strategy games like the ones mentions that probably require the most skill.

The aggrandizement of the original SC completely understates how similar SC2 is in requirements.

Also- Chess.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
suhlEap said:
the first ninja gaiden. you have to be a ninja to complete that game... completing it makes you a fully qualified ninja.
Quite true. I'll add the original Metroid and Zelda 2 to this.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
I would say bullet-hell shooters could fit in here as well. first you need to be able to recognize the patterns, then you need to have the ability to get into and stay in the patterns.

razerdoh

Nov 10, 2009
FreelancerADP said:
There's some exotic strategy games like the ones mentions that probably require the most skill.

The aggrandizement of the original SC completely understates how similar SC2 is in requirements.

Also- Chess.
i will 1-up your chess and say japaneese mahjong...