What good JRPGs are there for the PS3?

Sep 9, 2007
Powereaver said:
maybe also the Ar Tonelico games?
Eh, I'd avoid AT3. The story isn't great and the combat system is a poor imitation of Star Ocean's.

As for recommendations? Maybe check out Star Ocean: The Last Hope, (Which I believe is the "International" edition, which comes with both English and Japanese voice acting [ProTip: The english VA's are terrible] and CGI and "classic" display schemes)

If you don't mind grind-a-thons, maybe check out the Disgaea series, too. The latest one is Disgaea 4, but you should also be able to find second hand copies of 3, if you're lucky.

Resonance of Fate is a rather out there game and thats why I enjoy it. It can be somewhat difficult, but if you lose a battle, you can restart from the beginning of the battle without having to reload, which is nice.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Memor-X said:
>Zone of the Enders

Just because it's Japanese, doesn't make it a JRPG. It's an action game

>White Knight Chronicles

Horrible lip syncing, bad narrative delivery and cheating AI! YAY!

That game made a medieval mech boring.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
a boarderline example i would suggest folklore, a very good game by the way, go and get it whether or not you consider it a jrpg. but it definatly has jrpg elements, just go get it,......now go!

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
Final Fantasy XII is good. Final Fantasy XII-2 is simply amazing (I am currently playing it and loving it). Valkyria Chronicles is a very good game, even if it is technically a strategy RPG.

Also, I must disagree with anyone saying Star Ocean: The Last Hope. JRPG pickings are pretty slim on the PS3 compared to the PS2, but I'd only recommend that game if you're really desperate for a new JRPG. The combat is alright, but the story is god-awful. The dialogue and voice acting makes me cringe and I wanted to slap just about every character in the story.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
loc978 said:
Resonance of Fate was the first one that came to my mind. All the hallmarks of a good JRPG with flashy strategic combat that plays out like it's from a John Woo movie.
Resonance of Fate was a beautiful game... but garbage gameplay. >< Uggg

Disgaea 4? Tales of Graces F? Star Ocean the Last Hope? Eternal Sonata? Pretty much whatever everyone said above.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
GethBall said:
DigitalAtlas said:
GethBall said:
Well, you could wait for Final Fantasy Versus 13 to come out...... if it comes out.
Please stick to real titles and not games that were a fantasy simultaneously dreamt by JRPG fans across the world that we all remember way more than most dreams.
Maybe one day, if we all dream hard enough, it'll come into existence.

A man can dream.
I'm stilling dreaming of a time where I can continue the KH story WITHOUT getting a freaking handheld.

Seriously Square, KH3DS? Really? Where is the real KH3... you're holding out on us.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Oh, wow, plenty of options. Discounting all of the amazing PS1 classic RPGS (pretty much the main reason I bought my PS3), you can play;
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
White Knight Chronicles 2 (comes with the first one!)
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata
Tales of Graces f
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean; The Last Hope International
Among others. :)
Savo said:
Final Fantasy XII is good. Final Fantasy XII-2 is simply amazing (I am currently playing it and loving it). Valkyria Chronicles is a very good game, even if it is technically a strategy RPG.

Also, I must disagree with anyone saying Star Ocean: The Last Hope. JRPG pickings are pretty slim on the PS3 compared to the PS2, but I'd only recommend that game if you're really desperate for a new JRPG. The combat is alright, but the story is god-awful. The dialogue and voice acting makes me cringe and I wanted to slap just about every character in the story.
Although I agree with this guy on Last Hope. >_< Ugh, those characters were annoying. Still, it was kind of pretty and the combat was fun, so mute your TV during cutscenes and enjoy a relatively solid game while ignoring the terrible story.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
i dunno, star ocean the last hope was pretty terrible. the voice acting and characters in particular.

the story itself was fine, if a bit predictable. there is an unique twist at the end of the game which ive never seen before, but it is also very predictable as the game foreshadows it to hell. One of the worst protagonists of all time, thats for certain.

Valkyrie Chronicles is an amazing game. good story, great characters, and it makes you think.

Disgaea series is not quite a RPG, and it is VERY quirky. The game constantly breaks the fourth wall, but it has a very deep progression system.

Eternal Sonata....the characters will annoy you to death. It is VERY 1950's, you know "golly gee please dont hurt me mister" when someone is mugging you. the kind of atmosphere where you need to punch a kitten after a few hours to restore equilibrium in your life as all of the characters are SICKENINGLY sweet.

Jan 13, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
GethBall said:
DigitalAtlas said:
GethBall said:
Well, you could wait for Final Fantasy Versus 13 to come out...... if it comes out.
Please stick to real titles and not games that were a fantasy simultaneously dreamt by JRPG fans across the world that we all remember way more than most dreams.
Maybe one day, if we all dream hard enough, it'll come into existence.

A man can dream.
I'm stilling dreaming of a time where I can continue the KH story WITHOUT getting a freaking handheld.

Seriously Square, KH3DS? Really? Where is the real KH3... you're holding out on us.
Don't worry, Square said they will make KH3 next because KH3D sets up the events that will unfold in KH3. But if Square backs out on us I will go to Japan personally and go on a little "duck hunt".

BDHimes said:
"Good JRPG" is an oxymoron.
I agree, cause JRPGs can either be really great or just crap. There is no middle ground.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
The Disgaea series, definitely. If you feel like playing some old school JRPGs, FF5-9, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon are all available on PSN.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Tales of Graces f is unmissable.

Seriously, that game is unmissiable.
BDHimes said:
"Good JRPG" is an oxymoron.
Right, good isn't good enough to describe the jRPG. "Great" is far more accurate.

Nice first post. Just what we need in the gaming community, more of this crap.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Disgaea 3, 4 -Grind-tastic gameplay with loads of forth-wall breaks. They're also funny. Very funny.

Persona 3: FES -One of the PS2's greatest JRPGs ever, brought over to the PS3.

Demon's Souls -Dark Souls prequel. It's pretty much the same game, but with better atmosphere.

Pretty much every friggin Final Fantasy before X. I suggest FFIX

And if you can wait, you can try Ni No Kuni: Wrath of The White Witch -A Miyazaki video game with gorgeous visuals. The story looks debatable though, which is a deal-breaker for most JRPGs.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Ni No Kuni comes out soon, Tales of Graces f, Disgaea 3 and 4. Pretty much all I'm willing to write down for now. All great games. Pretty much a general warning for most jrpgs, but Tales of Graces f does start off quite slow, and the voices are quite annoying, but once you get past those four hours, it will get pretty damn good. It will end up being worth palying through the beginning because it will make you feel somewhat attached to the characters and actually feel genuinly bad when you see how they end up on the present.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
The primary KH team is currently working on a certain other title at the moment, so...

Answer precedes question:

DigitalAtlas said:
GethBall said:

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
I recommend Dragon's Dogma and Demon's Souls, although the former isn't a PS3 exclusive, from what I've played it's a hell of a lot of fun... They're both pretty difficult though.
Both are very much western RPGs, despite the geographical location of their developers...

Innegativeion said:
Ragsnstitches said:
The primary KH team is currently working on a certain other title at the moment, so...

Answer precedes question:

Digitalatlas said:
GethBall said:
Aw shucks, I'm touched.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, but I'm kinda digging Folklore right now.

Note though, this is coming from someone who can't stand about 98% of JRPGs

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Strain42 said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned it or not, but I'm kinda digging Folklore right now.

Note though, this is coming from someone who can't stand about 98% of JRPGs
Loved it.
Got swept under the rug it seemed, which was a shame because it was a pretty unique little game.