What has inspired your sense of humor?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm a pretty comical guy. Over the years I've latched onto certain media that has inspired my sense of humor. Namely, I have shows like South Park and Mystery Science Theater 3000 to thank for what I find funny out in the world. Weird Al was another big one for me growing up. So, what has inspired the rest of you for what you find funny and hilarious?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I got part of my sense of humor from my dad, who basically played the straight man to my mother's "raving paranoid" personality and always had an interesting quip or comeback to use that made my day. I've also picked up things from other sources here and there, of course.

Jul 23, 2008
I really have no idea. Most of my humour comes from simply interpreting things people say differently. Either that or letting my mind wander to see where it goes when i'm fascinated with the mundane.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
My family is very funny, thats where most of it is from. I would also say that my biggest culture inspiration is Arrested Development, my all time favourite show.

"She's not that Mexican mom, she's my Mexican... and she's Columbian or something."
GOB Bluth

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
I think Dylan Moran is my inspiration- a sarcastic, relaxed yet slightly nilhistic attempt at humour suits me. I also appreciate South Park greatly.

dwightsteel

Feb 7, 2007
Years and years of getting verbally abused by my "friends" and family. Lots of emotional scarring and crap loads of introspection. It's turned me into a cynical, narcissistic ass. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Fuck you all, very, very much.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Partly my father, partly my mother, partly an amalgamation of Dave Barry, Jerry Holkins, Daria, and Lewis Black. Just a guess.

Weasel.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
While our sense of humor is completely incompatible, my dad actually could be credited with some of my humor. He likes to make stabbing playful insults at people. I find myself doing the same. I can't say it's my favorite aspect about myself, but there have been times I've been pretty proud how I twisted someone's words against themselves.

Me: Wanna hang out tonight?
Friend: Can't. I'm going to a bar tonight
Me: Ah, I see how it is: you'd rather slowly poison yourself than hang out with me.

I also appreciate bad puns. I think I can thank Something Awful for that. I'm not a member there, but I have friends who are.

sitting next to boss during lunch. Boss just returned from Subway with sandwich
Boss: (to no one in particular) Damn, It looks like my sandwich was hit by a MAC truck!
Me: Was it a BIG MAC truck? HUR. HUR. HUR.
Boss: *Genuinely laughs*

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
List ahoy.

-Spongebob
-Something Awful
-Friends
-Spongebob again

Edit:
I should point out that by "Friends" I meant the meaty shapes that have a tendency to hang around you because they like your smell, not the show, which I have tried watching, but can't really be bothered paying attention to.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Monty Python and Chris Morris. I like it when absurd situations are taken extremely seriously. Either that or when serious things are made to look absurd. One of those. Actually, the first. The second isn't funny at all.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
my friends, mostly.

In elementary school, it was my friend Will that influenced me the most.. as I grew up into high school, my friends Cam and Ash became my inspirations.

Ash brought with him the charm of british humor, and Terry Pratchett, which is another large influence on my humor.

Jakkar

Mar 22, 2008
Terry Pratchett's Discworld, reading it from age 9 onward - Roald Dahl's books earlier on gave me an introduction to the perverse delicately presented.

As I grew up, a combination of comedies like Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Austin Powers but above all, always - Monty Python.

Consequently my sense of humour is sudden, surreal and mildly obscene, involving silly walks and very strange voices.

"Aaare yuoou THE BRAAAIN SPECIALIIST?! >=B"

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Copious amounts of British comedy, black comedy and a very cynical world view. There is an element of influence, of course, from those around me in terms of friends and social circles as well, though as many people I know laugh at things I find rather pathetic, perhaps not so much.

kaiser_what

Feb 19, 2009
Hm... Angry Video Game Nerd, House. Encyclopedia Dramatica and Zero Punctuation. Mainly the last two. I don't know, I just like 'mean' humor.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
"It's just a flesh wound!"

You can't beat that. Monty Python is the best comedy out there.

But I do make vast amounts of references to The Simpsons, and in more vulgar company South Park. Ironic situations are my favourite in writing and in TV, but one-liners are the easiest to use when I speak.

I also make stupid puns. I have my father to thank for that influence. Haha. But I do enjoy them.

scape

Mar 4, 2009
Monty python, irony and a north American fps community that had great use of caps.