What have you given up for others?

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
I'm curious to see if any one else has made a significant change in their life based on what others think. Upon entering university, I completely gave up on openly discussing video games, my musical tastes and anime so that I could try and not be one of 'those people' when I went to university. It's all well and good to say that people shouldn't change who they are to appeal to others, but when you are young and trying to fit in, it isn't that easy to listen to that advice.

So what have you given up for others? Might be a girlfriend/boyfriend, friends or family, or just a personal decision. But for whatever reason, I'd like to hear about it!

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My emotional, intellectual, and financial well-being. Gave it up at the altar, found it right where I left it after the divorce went final five years later.

RSGstyle

Dec 16, 2010
What would you say when you pick up new things in order to better relate to others?

The only thing that comes to my mind was when I picked up sports and gave up a few things, but I found that picking new things up was more common in my life. Funny thing too; I ended up picking up new musical tastes, video games, and anime. I had a couple friends who were into everything else that I wasn't into.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I've never given up anything about my basic likes or anything like that simply to fit in. I have given up opportunities and such to be there for friends when they needed me though. There were quite a few times I dropped whatever I was doing, no matter how important it was, to help my friends out. Sure, my grades might have suffered a touch and my parents weren't too happy, but in the end, my grades were fine, my friends were better off for it, and they always repay the favor if I need it.

Works out well, since my mom was diagnosed with cancer in December, I know I can rely on my friends to help me out.

Captcha: Cohesion ntsesies

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Reallink said:
I'm curious to see if any one else has made a significant change in their life based on what others think. Upon entering university, I completely gave up on openly discussing video games, my musical tastes and anime so that I could try and not be one of 'those people' when I went to university. It's all well and good to say that people shouldn't change who they are to appeal to others, but when you are young and trying to fit in, it isn't that easy to listen to that advice.

So what have you given up for others? Might be a girlfriend/boyfriend, friends or family, or just a personal decision. But for whatever reason, I'd like to hear about it!

Wow, i actually made friends because of games, anime and my music tastes. I wouldn't want people in my life that I couldn't be myself around.

But I changed for my ex. I became...warmer? I guess. To be a better boyfriend...Look how that turned out lol

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
My soul, you all sucked it out of me.

On a more serious note:

Time and money for people in general: I am a somewhat helpful and generous person.

Expressing myself in real life: Very few people are actually interested in anybody else I have discovered. They ask questions they ask everybody else and they always want the same answers.

Sometimes happiness: Like most people I have liked someone who hasn't liked me back, and like most people it has sometimes taken me a while to realise that they are not going to see you the same way and to move on. The problem with this one is that the last time it happened something seemed to switch off and now I don't seem to feel affection for people in the same way any more.

Christ, I didn't realise what a bleak mood I was in today, I didn't think I was when I woke up. *shrugs*

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
RSGstyle said:
What would you say when you pick up new things in order to better relate to others?

The only thing that comes to my mind was when I picked up sports and gave up a few things, but I found that picking new things up was more common in my life. Funny thing too; I ended up picking up new musical tastes, video games, and anime. I had a couple friends who were into everything else that I wasn't into.
That really happened to me too. I like who I am now, as different as I am compared to before. I'm starting to bring back some things that I enjoyed before, but in someways it opened my eyes, so I guess it was for the best in the end, though it may have been tough along the way.

Vanalosswen

Feb 5, 2011
Sex. Since the guy who was my friend-with-benefits asked me to help him live the celebate lifestyle. Damn him and our friendship sometimes...

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I gave up my optimism when I entered college and realized what a fucking waste it all is. That no one gives a damn about what you studied or where ultimately. They just want you to have a generic diploma. It's all a set of rings and we just have to jump through 'em to get to the bone at the end.

Not really a person, I know, but I still had to give it up in order to make it through to my degree. Otherwise I would have been way too stressed.

GodofCider

Nov 16, 2010
Mallefunction said:
I gave up my optimism when I entered college and realized what a fucking waste it all is. That no one gives a damn about what you studied or where ultimately. They just want you to have a generic diploma. It's all a set of rings and we just have to jump through 'em to get to the bone at the end.

Not really a person, I know, but I still had to give it up in order to make it through to my degree. Otherwise I would have been way too stressed.
Depends on the field you go into.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
My alcoholism..

I had to give it up on the account of me becoming a father any time soon now...

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I'm currently attempting to give up lying. I would lie about everything when I was a kid, I've gotten ridiculously good at it but I like it better that people trust me then what I can get out of the lies.

beniki

May 28, 2009
A relationship.

... To look after a dog after he had surgery.

Priorities, you know.

Stamaris

Sep 13, 2010
I'm surprised to be the first one to say this, but smoking. I didn't plan on doing it forever and was trying to quit anyway, but once my girlfriend found out it was either cigs or her. I chose her and thank god it seems like I made the right call.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I'll only give something up for someone if I can somehow wrangle some benefits from it later. Always keep one eye on the future, otherwise you'll be blinded by the present.