What have you got from the GoG Summer Sale?

Quirkymeister

May 1, 2015
Hello,
So, just a random discussion starter: what has everybody bought from the new GoG Summer Sale? (that really should be Winter sale down here in Australia, but whatever)
I've bought Painkiller Black Edition (how could I not when Yahtzee hyped it up so much?), Jade Empire, Legend of Grimrock II, and a bunch of fantastic indie platformers including Dust: An Elysian Tail, Freedom Planet and Guacamelee!. Oh yeah, and I got SimCity2000 and STALKER: Clear Sky for free just for spending money on other games. THIS is how you do a summer/winter sale, ladies and gents!

I'm really liking the direction GoG's going; just as well Steam found some proper competition to force it to smarten up a little and think about its business practises. In fact, considering all the cool stuff one gets from GoG (avatars, wallpapers, digital manuals, no DRM and the like), I think that from now on, if a game is available on both GoG and Steam, unless the Steam one's way cheaper, I'll go to GoG first.

So anyway, who else has taken advantage of GoG's latest sale?
-Quirky

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
None so far I was goin to get Sanctuary Black and Freedom planet but I didnt want to pay more than 2 pounds for them so have held off. I will also look at Divinity Original Sin but its still pricy atm so will prob wait a few years.

I was going to get star control 1+2 but then I heard there was a freeware fan remake that was even better so just downloaded that instead (the Ur Quan Masters). I am being real picky about what I pick up in sales now as I have so many games that I have yet to play it seems pointless to pick up more unless I get a very good deal on them and I know I will play it.

Hoping that Shovel Knight goes on sale sometime but again whether I get it depends on price, especially as money is real tight for me atm.

I have spent a lot more on GOG sales over the years than Steam tho. I just like their business practices and model better, then again I never buy anything off steam unless I really really want it and cant get it elsewhere.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
So far all I've gotten has been Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon which are games I remember fondly from my childhood. Not sure if they hold up though. I was thinking of getting Pillars of Eternity but it was only ?5 off and I'm not planning on playing it until I get a new PC next year and the expansion will be out then too. So I decided to wait, might be on sale again at a lower price closer to when I get a new PC.

I already own Sim City 2000 on GOG but they gave that to me again for free. So I'll need to find someone to give that to.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Dust: An Elysian Tail and Guacamelee! are both awesome games; currently like 90% done in Dust and just started Guacamelee! Dust has good hack -n- slash and tight controls, the voiceacting is kind of cringy in some parts, and the art direction is polarizing (people either love or hate the furryness of it). Guacamelee! has an awesome art direction, and the controls are pretty tight, still working on mastering the combo system as there is a lot of potential there; still kind of early into the game, but the story is pretty generic "badguy kidnaps lady" but with some Mexican flavor and humor.

I haven't gotten anything myself from GoG, but I did see that Amazon has their sale going on, just grabbed Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (been on a Metroidvania bender) and Dark Souls: Prepar to Die Edition for $5 each yesterday. Dark Souls is still giving me problems recognizing my genuine MS XBox 360 wired controller, which I find odd as my understanding is that it the only controller that was supposed to work without a hitch. Meh.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Nothing so far. The Witcher 3 is only 10% off which isn't enough to make me buy a game I'm on the fence about.

I have my eye on the Star Wars X-Wing/Tie fighter series but nothing yet.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
So far I've only bought Shadowgate and got Sim City 2000 for free as well.I'm primarily a console gamer so I probably won't buy too many more

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I got Lichdom Battlemage a few days back. It was on my radar for a while, but I wasn't confident enough to spend £30 on it. £3.39 seemed much more reasonable. It's not bad, but I am glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
I got Race Driver Grid yesterday, and I have my eye on the 2 Enemy Engaged titles and 2 other Helicopter sims.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've already bought most of GOG's catalog that interests me, so nothing yet. There's Xenonauts I suppose, but I'm not going to purchase $50 worth of games I don't care about to get it. Perhaps if it goes on sale again (missed it the first time around).

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
GOG is my go-to online gaming store (as in my only one) so I look forward to the summer sales. However, my backlog is great this time so have only purchased Pyschonauts, Shadow Warrior original and Duke Nukem 3D. I am waiting for KOTOR 1 + 2 to come on sale tho, great games.

PS. Does anyone know if Pyschonauts is good to play on mouse and keyboard or is a controller a must?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I'm not much of a PC gamer at all (I don't even have an actual video card) but I did pick up Shadowrun Dragonfall as I've heard really good things about it, it's not very long, and it's supposed to have good writing. I'm just not a fan of sitting at my computer desk and playing games. I was tempted to get Jade Empire but I was reading that the PC port was pretty bad.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
So far I've picked up Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Retro City Rampage, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Deadly Premonition, URU, Myst 5, and Advent Rising.

I dunno if I'll be picking up anything else, probably only if a couple particular things that have been sitting on my wishlist for forever go on something good. Arkham Knight is kind of a priority. Plus who knows what'll come up when Steam's sale starts, it tends to be a bit unpredictable.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
I've got quite the digital haul thus far:

Legend of Grimrock 2
Q.U.B.E
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Shadow Warrior
I Have No Mouth And I must Scream
Advent Rising
Kerbal Space Program
The Marvelous Miss Take
Magrunner

I also got all 3 of the free games.

I admit I have a problem, I don't enough time right now to play these all!! That and I'm kind of hooked on Kerbal Space Program. It's so engrossing.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
So far?

STALKER trilogy (got Clear Sky for free)
Trails in the Sky
Far Cry 2

and a free copy of Sim City 2000, which I already have.

Quirkymeister

May 1, 2015
ArcadianDrew said:
GOG is my go-to online gaming store (as in my only one) so I look forward to the summer sales. However, my backlog is great this time so have only purchased Pyschonauts, Shadow Warrior original and Duke Nukem 3D. I am waiting for KOTOR 1 + 2 to come on sale tho, great games.

PS. Does anyone know if Pyschonauts is good to play on mouse and keyboard or is a controller a must?
Well, I don't have an XBox controller, so I can't comment on how it feels with a controller, but playing with keyboard and mouse wasn't too bad. I'd recommend a controller for platformers like that if you have one, but it plays fine without one.