What have you learned today?

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That's not a Maths question, it's a question about the definition of the word "corner".
Geometry is a branch of mathematics though, and it includes the study of shapes and their inherent properties. The question used sloppy terminology which led to the confusion (circle vs disc) but it’s fair game for a math quiz.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The last person who was born in the 1800s passed away in 2017
Crazy when considering RDR2’s main story took place in 1899, and the game itself was released just a year after that lady died. She could’ve watched the first trailer for it and been like, “Yup, lived it.”

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I just found out there's no real Batman in the Watchmen movie because:
1) He's apparently already a fictional character. Look at the wall next to Owlman;
2) There was never the need. That may as well be Batman's parents being rescued by Owlman. Bruce never experiences the trauma that created Batman.

1702215732863.png

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Back when I was primarily a console gamer I used to joke that the reason PC gamers think console games look bad is because they’ve developed myopia. I guess it might not be such a good joke anymore.

Whatever the case it’s a good reminder to all, especially the younger to get some outdoor time whenever possible!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Huh…so self awareness may happen much earlier than originally thought -
The idea of an AI raised on internet content becoming self aware should be filling everyone involved in that field with the most intense existential dread. Something, something, torment nexus.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The idea of an AI raised on internet content becoming self aware should be filling everyone involved in that field with the most intense existential dread. Something, something, torment nexus.

That’s not to say that peaceful, functional societies can’t exist, but just that shallow-minded greedy shitshows like the U.S. have a long way to go towards merely finding these philosophies let alone adopting them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If you have superglue on your fingers, they become abrasive, and can clean stubborn stains off porcelain.

I didn't do that on purpose, I happened to have superglue on my fingers, and was washing them in a sink that I'd washed my hands when they'd got spraypaint on them a bit earlier and left paint stuck to the sink.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the 50s and 60s, there were serious investigations into large scale engineering projects using nuclear devices, with dozens of nuclear tests in the US and USSR. They were going to make a sea level canal to link the Atlantic and Pacific, nuke paths through mountains to put in highways and all sorts of cool stuff which had to be abandoned due to the radiation issue.

Ah, the optimism or yesteryear.