What have you learned today?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, to me Hell would be more "agonized wailing" than "deep wind blowing", but I'll ask what are you more comfortable with: Hell being one sextillion miles away, or Heaven being one sextillion miles away?
The idea that EITHER exists ANY distance away is a bit unsettling. Not sure how distances are traversed in the ostensible spirit realm, but the idea the God and Satan would set up "end game" shop that far away where our fates are determined in the physical realm leads me to believe it's a nonfactor.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Never heard of 7th Heaven or Stephen Collins, so am glad they added the context of this being a beloved show by American christians as their alternative to 'degenerate' 'sinful' media, lowkey justifying my bubble of deviant ignorance. Also, it's extremely uncomfortable watching/hearing an abuser describe their abuse, and indescribably unpleasant to still observe after knowing they're taking every opportunity to minimise their crimes and responsibility at the same time as trying to appear remorseful. That ain't atonement if you're still lying whenever you can dude, christ! Though he can still convince some people with experience in performance, unlike prince Andrew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Never heard of 7th Heaven or Stephen Collins, so am glad they added the context of this being a beloved show by American christians as their alternative to 'degenerate' 'sinful' media, lowkey justifying my bubble of deviant ignorance. Also, it's extremely uncomfortable watching/hearing an abuser describe their abuse, and indescribably unpleasant to still observe after knowing they're taking every opportunity to minimise their crimes and responsibility at the same time as trying to appear remorseful. That ain't atonement if you're still lying whenever you can dude, christ! Though he can still convince some people with experience in performance, unlike prince Andrew.

Gross. Makes sense he's Dennis and Dee's biological father in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
I learned that even during mesozoic era, there's enough fossil fuels to starts industrial revolution so there's no more reason to insists that Precursors civilizations are impossible fantasies

albeit predominantly petrols back then

most recently I learned that myself can't afford to have Takeru and Hikari being the only Original Digidestined that become Digimon 02 main characters can be resulting from more of my OCD thingy(cuz I learns this fanfic did undeniably treats Takeru and Hikari better than canon show did while making both only original digidestined that become Adventure 02 protags)

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I learned that even during mesozoic era, there's enough fossil fuels to starts industrial revolution so there's no more reason to insists that Precursors civilizations are impossible fantasies
Erm, you mean it was possible that they started then, or it is possible? In that we'd probably know today if someone had used up lots of the fossil fuels then.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I learned that in the Viking age and in nations that had Norse culture(Denmark, Scandinavia and parts of Britain under the Danelaw) Saturday was called laugardagr or literally "Bath Day", so presumably people bathed once a week and on Bath day.

Which probably doesn't sound like much but apparently as more often then surrounding cultures of the period.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Erm, you mean it was possible that they started then, or it is possible? In that we'd probably know today if someone had used up lots of the fossil fuels then.
Well, those precursors are punished from using fossil fuels during Jurassic-Cretaceous extinction event, prompting their technologies to use literal pixie dusts(made from processed noble metals)

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I learned that in the Viking age and in nations that had Norse culture(Denmark, Scandinavia and parts of Britain under the Danelaw) Saturday was called laugardagr or literally "Bath Day", so presumably people bathed once a week and on Bath day.

Which probably doesn't sound like much but apparently was more often then surrounding cultures of the period.
The current names for Saturday in Swedish, Danish and Norwegian still derives from that word: lördag, lørdag and lørdag. (ö and ø are the same letter but for different languages)

Reactions: Dalisclock

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I stopped eating (drinking? Consuming.) Soylent about five years back as it was not sold in Canada for a while. I started back up recently and I'm deeply pleased to learn that the latest formula involves way less flatulence.

Last time I ingested it three times a week and the farts the first two weeks were so bad I wanted to phone my parents and apologize, but this time either my bowels are older and wiser or the mix runs a lot smoother. So that's really cool. No more vitamins for Roy, just soy paste.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
I'm moving to Canada soon for school (Yukon to be precise) and I just learned yesterday that it's one of the coldest Canadian regions... reaching up to -40C and -60C and it's right next to Alaska. Also, I just found out that they have laws against international students working (you can only work 20 hours max per week, yikes). Still got a few other stuff to work out lol.

I can't really find the resource right now - but I read an article today (will scroll through LinkedIn again in a few, was a really interesting read) about post-menstrual syndromes. I know about pre-menstrual syndromes (PMS) but never knew that a large population of women also experience post menstrual hormonal stuff. Basically, women are battling against themselves for over 3/4 of their entire life because of rapidly changing hormones (which causes headaches, mood swings, etc). That is absolutely mind-boggling to me. Women are beasts.

Also learned something new from work today. I'm still an old-school guy (love me some forums and Wikipedia sites) but had to download Facebook begrudgingly for work. I was set as an ad-hoc member of our social media team and was tasked to create a proposal... for social media. Good thing the internet is a wild west of good resources, thank the Gods for everyone who creates templates. I learned just how much money there is in FB marketing... people are spending millions on all the annoying ads on that platform.

Last thing (wow I learned so much today lol) is I found out why my tongue hurts after eating an entire pineapple. Turns out it has an enzyme called bromelain that, vaguely speaking, digests/eats the protein on your tongue (figuratively, you can think of it as the pineapple eating you as well). Kinda twisted fun fact, love my pineapples nevertheless.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I learned that Australia has combined two existing agencies to stand up its own version of FEMA, and we have named it……NEMA: National Emergency Management Agency. Creativity truly is lacking in Australia’s civil institutions xD

Reactions: Dalisclock

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
After finally deciding to watch a Caddicarus video on YouTube, I learned that not only is the original PS1 version of Silent Hill compatible with the Mad Catz racing controller, but the accelerator pedal makes Harry run, which implies that Mad Catz actually thought out making the controller compatible with Silent Hill.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gotta hook one up to my doorbell for any future visitors hoping to sell me Jesus. 👌
Nay, invite them in with this playing in the background. Make sure to have an exorbitant number of locks on the door once they come in, and make an obvious display as you meticulously lock each and every one. Appear overly interested in whatever they're saying, and insist they stay while they squirm trying to find a reason to leave. Make big eyes; don't blink. And once or twice, excuse yourself to shush someone or something in an adjacent room; lock that door too. Offer them meat; don't specify what type.