What have you learned today?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned rabies is actually really scary.
Yes, rabies is basically a virus from science fiction considering its very specific symptoms and nigh 100% mortality rate if untreated immediately. This is a hard watch, so my apologies if it upsets anyone, but it's a unique documentation of a patient going through every stage of the disease, including the inexorable death.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yes, rabies is basically a virus from science fiction considering its very specific symptoms and nigh 100% mortality rate if untreated immediately. This is a hard watch, so my apologies if it upsets anyone, but it's a unique documentation of a patient going through every stage of the disease, including the inexorable death.

We haven't had a domestic case of rabies in a human since the mid 60's, and have, same as our neighboring countries, succesfully wiped out the disease in wild animals since the early 00's as well. As scary as a 100% mortality rate is, the odds of catching rabies is pretty much 0 over here, and has been since before I was born. So rabies was always this thing I was aware existed, but never registered as a threat, because, from my pov, it isn't. I guess this is one of those moments where I understand what privilege is.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We haven't had a domestic case of rabies in a human since the mid 60's, and have, same as our neighboring countries, succesfully wiped out the disease in wild animals since the early 00's as well. As scary as a 100% mortality rate is, the odds of catching rabies is pretty much 0 over here, and has been since before I was born. So rabies was always this thing I was aware existed, but never registered as a threat, because, from my pov, it isn't. I guess this is one of those moments where I understand what privilege is.
I don't feel like attending Google University right now, so can't speak to our stateside stats as to rabies' proliferation here, but I know I've seen recent video of animals suffering it. One was a fox (iirc) in someone's driveway. It was basically manic, clawing and biting at the air, until someone put it down from a safe distance. Needless to say, it easily could have bitten someone, so while rare, I don't think rabies is a thing we can easily dismiss. Not sure how treatment is now, but adding to the science fiction, treatment was several painful injections, and even that didn't guarantee recovery. It is indeed a very scary disease.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't feel like attending Google University right now, so can't speak to our stateside stats as to rabies' proliferation here, but I know I've seen recent video of animals suffering it. One was a fox (iirc) in someone's driveway. It was basically manic, clawing and biting at the air, until someone put it down from a safe distance. Needless to say, it easily could have bitten someone, so while rare, I don't think rabies is a thing we can easily dismiss. Not sure how treatment is now, but adding to the science fiction, treatment was several painful injections, and even that didn't guarantee recovery. It is indeed a very scary disease.
I'd have said that it'd be easy to deal with with fairly basic measures (not once you've become infected, I mean to keep away from and destroy rabid animals), but then with how people refuse to wear a mask during this centuries biggest plague to date...

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'd have said that it'd be easy to deal with with fairly basic measures (not once you've become infected, I mean to keep away from and destroy rabid animals), but then with how people refuse to wear a mask during this centuries biggest plague to date...
Yeah, collectively, we're not a smart lot that thinks it's a lot smarter than the actual few smart ones amongst us. An outbreak of rabies would reduce the global population to about 14 people, and they'd all be in Australia or New Zealand simply for their remoteness from the rest of the dumbasses. Even then, the poisonous kangaroos would taken them out because humans gotta human. Earth would be a spinning rock devoid of life save for the marine fauna. Can great white sharks get rabies? Because that's a nightmare worthy of a feature length horror film. Straight to DVD, but I'd watch it nonetheless.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The most expensive DLC you can pay for on PlayStation is 21,000 "points" for either CoD Black Ops: Cold War or Warzone. The points cost $149.99. That's more than twice as expensive as the games themselves!

The cheapest one is an avatar for something called Claire: Extended Cut, which nominally costs $0.29 but is on sale for $0.19 for the next 18 hours.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I was curious if my political compass has changed at all since I last took the test since it has been like 5+ years so I took it again and I learned that I'm a bit more left libertarian than I was before.

Dot moved both left and down but a bit more down than left. So much for becoming more conservative as you age I guess lol.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What is a verified phone call?
March 24, 2022

A verified phone call lets you know when a call you’re receiving is actually from the number that appears on caller ID, and is not a spoofed call.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What is a verified phone call?
March 24, 2022

A verified phone call lets you know when a call you’re receiving is actually from the number that appears on caller ID, and is not a spoofed call.
And how does one go about getting such verification? I'm willing to wager it's a premium service... provided for a nominal fee, of course. Can't expect providers to assuage the massive nuisance in robo/spam calls that plague their business for free, can we?

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that Sir Isaac Newton is suspected to have suffered from Asperger's syndrome. Further evidence that when the brain isn't preoccupied with societal mores and norms, it can't can achieve great things.

Reactions: gorfias

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
How might I share this bit of info? Tumblr always confuses me.
Well, I'm on a tablet, but if I click on the username "galaxygolfergirl", it'll take me to that reblog, they you can press the share button

Might work, tumblr's broken in many fun and interesting ways

Reactions: Bob_McMillan