What have you learned today?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The woman in front of me in the queue had a bad experience when her husband tried to remortgage the house out from under her in her first marriage, so she's made her new partner sign an agreement that he only owns the part of the house he's paid for, and would need her to countersign any sort of remortgaging business.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Around 99% of my laughter is nervous coping mechanisms around others, so it seems most people tend to assume either I'm happy, they're funny, both, or I'm an asshole for laughing at all the serious subjects. It's quite a difficult habit to shake, and am still not sure if the end results would even be worth it anyway. If it makes others slightly more comfortable than being a major buzzkill, then it's probably a net gain in a utilitarian sense.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Apparently criminal gangs/organizations are getting into the whole trash recycling/smuggling business...
Makes sense. Organised crime and waste disposal have always been tight. Good for getting rid of bodies. But its 2021, just dumping whacked dudes is such a faux pas. Recycle what you can to recoup some costs!

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Today I learned about the differences between Quantitative, Qualitive research, customer segmentation and that I'm not super sure this career path is right for me.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I replaced the drive coupler on my kenmore washing machine.

So that's a fun thing to learn

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I learned Prince Charles, heir to the British Royal Family, is older than my dad.

And his mom still ain't giving up the throne to him until she kicks off. Presumably she's holding on purely out of spite, if it's true she's not keen on him becoming king.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I learned Prince Charles, heir to the British Royal Family, is older than my dad.

And his mom still ain't giving up the throne to him until she kicks off. Presumably she's holding on purely out of spite, if it's true she's not keen on him becoming king.
It's because he's a deeply unpopular tit and everyone hates his wife, who had absolutely zero chance of living up to the insane image the people of the UK have of Princess Diana (certainly she seemed very good by royal standards, but these people are deranged).

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It's because he's a deeply unpopular tit and everyone hates his wife, who had absolutely zero chance of living up to the insane image the people of the UK have of Princess Diana (certainly she seemed very good by royal standards, but these people are deranged).

I have no shame.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I swear she’ll die not sixty seconds after Charles does so that William gets the throne and Charles doesn’t.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, blob fish actually look like normal fish in their natural environment (which, duh, but goodness does it add to the horror of most of those blob fish pictures you see online);

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've been doing a bunch of reading about the Ancient Near East/Aegean for a project and I never really realized just how little we really seem to know about history past a certain point. Like Egypt is decently well documented and understood, both due to the ruins and how long Egypt has been writing stuff down but Ancient greek history falls off a lot before the classical period. Like the Mycenaean and Minoan civilizations are significantly less understood(partially because Linear A is still undescriperd) and while the Epic Cycle is mostly missing and the Homeric Odyssey and Iliad, while presumably depicting events that probably occurred during the Mycenaean period (prior to 1000 BC) are more in line with the Classical/Archaic period in details so don't act as good history even reading into the myth.

It also explains why there's pretty much no depictions of pre-classical greece in fiction that I'm aware of, or if there is, it's always conflated with the classical era because there's a massive drop off in knowledge prior to 1000 BC, no doubt due to the Bronze Age Collapse, which we also don't know much about or why it occurred.

THough I'm not an ancient history major so I could be wrong about some of this and I haven't delved enough into the Mid-east civilizations to really comment yet.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
My boiler isn't leaking gas, but there's a dead animal somewhere in the walls/floors of my house.