What have you made lately?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Have you made cool stuff you'd like to share? I've made stuff, but it isn't cool. One day I'm going to make something cool, but not yet I reckon.

But anyway, it doesn't matter what it is,* assault our eyeholes with your stuff. Earholes may also apply.

*Let's be reasonable here, I don't want to see pictures of the inside of your toilet.

I've not been able to make much recently because it's been so cold in my shed, but here's a few bits:

Laptop bag
My first serious attempt at sewing. I gave up part way through because I approached it wrong, so I haven't bothered putting handles or a closing flap on it. Doubles as a cushion (note, burglars don't think to steal cushions) or a big hat at a push (genuinely cosy).
LTbag.jpg

Pencil pot
It's a pot you put pencils in. Other stuff fits too, but these are pencils.
Pencil.jpg

Pestle and mortar
For grinding things up. It used to be a chair (and was probably much more useful this way, definitely worth more). It's teak and oak.
Bowl.jpg

Home defense kit
Wildly impractical, I wouldn't really defend myself with this.

Stick.jpg

When I die, all my shit is going to end up at a house clearance auction and some idiot is going to end up with this stuff. I'm going to try making a rocket stove this weekend, so that might end up being sooner rather than later.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
*Let's be reasonable here, I don't want to see pictures of the inside of your toilet.
Lucky you said that, I am currently reading this thread while sitting on the toilet and that was the first thing that popped into my head.

I painted up a Custodian Warden of the ShadowKeepers Shield Host. Which I think makes me King Nerd of the Escapist.
Must...resist ...urge to post.... all... rogue trader... miniatures... (they have not been painted recently, so it doesn't really count)

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
"lately" is a bit strong, since I made it last summer, but I went to a 5 day summer course in stop motion animation and made an animation. I'm quite glad with how it turned out.
Ooh a narrow plank. Elegant solution to the "oh shit I keep forgetting the tweezers on the table" problem.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A few years back, I decided to make a penny-top table. I was at a bar and saw their bar top was a bunch of bottle caps encased in resin, and thought "that's pretty cool," and being single with a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to give it a go... in my apartment... with no tools or experience. It was about two weeks of back and forth to the hardware store and using a neighboring rec center's baseball bleachers as a work bench. I went to a thrift shop, bought an old table for like $10, removed the top and replaced it with a new flat wood top to which I added a a wooden ring to hold the resin. I primed it, then used a textured spray paint to coat the whole thing. Then I went to the bank and asked for $10 in pennies, sorted them by color, and created the design in the third picture. Each penny was hot glued in place one by one with no measurement or calculations; I was really worried it wouldn't fit, but it did. Made sure the table was level, poured my resin, and voila. I am pretty proud given how scrappy the whole process was.

1677259434914.png1677259467924.png1677259504330.png

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A few years back, I decided to make a penny-top table. I was at a bar and saw their bar top was a bunch of bottle caps encased in resin, and thought "that's pretty cool," and being single with a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to give it a go... in my apartment... with no tools or experience. It was about two weeks of back and forth to the hardware store and using a neighboring rec center's baseball bleachers as a work bench. I went to a thrift shop, bought an old table for like $10, removed the top and replaced it with a new flat wood top to which I added a a wooden ring to hold the resin. I primed it, then used a textured spray paint to coat the whole thing. Then I went to the bank and asked for $10 in pennies, sorted them by color, and created the design in the third picture. Each penny was hot glued in place one by one with no measurement or calculations; I was really worried it wouldn't fit, but it did. Made sure the table was level, poured my resin, and voila. I am pretty proud given how scrappy the whole process was.

View attachment 8041View attachment 8042View attachment 8043
That went well, all my attempts with resin so far have just ended up with big puddles of resin all over the floor.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Ooh a narrow plank. Elegant solution to the "oh shit I keep forgetting the tweezers on the table" problem.
Actually, to make Rutger balance when walking across the plank I had to screw screws through his feet, and in some frames I had accidentally filmed screws lying on top of the plank. I have edited that out via simple copy-and-paste of a part of the plank where there are no screws lying.

As a matter of fact: the first step Rutger takes towards the plank/the camera was achieved by wrapping his waist in steel wire and me holding the edge of the wire, very visibly, on camera. I have edited out my hand and the wire as well with the same method, though the steel wire can still be seen in some frames, including the one that acts as the film's thumbnail.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Paint one up and post it! Physical challenge!
Well, I am helping the gf get a bunch of her shit down from the loft tomorrow to flog at a car boot sale. I might be able to grab my last couple of unfinished projects and give them a go. IIRC there's the old tentacle face Admech, 2 of the plastic IG, a couple of 1st/2nd ed epic...vindicators maybe? and a 4th ed warhammer halbardier.

Also, I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that I am now no longer reading this thread on the toilet. However, I cannot guarantee that this situation will continue.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Must...resist ...urge to post.... all... rogue trader... miniatures... (they have not been painted recently, so it doesn't really count)
I don't think we need to stress the definition of 'lately', it's just that what have you ever made? sounds accusatory.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Well, I am helping the gf get a bunch of her shit down from the loft tomorrow to flog at a car boot sale. I might be able to grab my last couple of unfinished projects and give them a go. IIRC there's the old tentacle face Admech, 2 of the plastic IG, a couple of 1st/2nd ed epic...vindicators maybe? and a 4th ed warhammer halbardier.

Also, I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that I am now no longer reading this thread on the toilet. However, I cannot guarantee that this situation will continue.
This guy?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
That's the guy! Damn, it's been a long time since I've been on Lexicanum.

I don't think we need to stress the definition of 'lately', it's just that what have you ever made? sounds accusatory.
I suppose as we're removing the time constraint, three of many tunes I made a long time ago. Sadly soundcloud upload is not that high quality so it doesn't sound very sharp.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I suppose as we're removing the time constraint, two of many tunes I made a long time ago. Sadly soundcloud upload is not that high quality so it doesn't sound very sharp.

That's good! I'm always impressed when people make music like this. I've tried, thinking it'd be fairly easy, but whenever I pop Mixcraft open, I make a few bleeps and badly timed beats (or something like a beat) and realise have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I suppose as we're removing the time constraint, three of many tunes I made a long time ago. Sadly soundcloud upload is not that high quality so it doesn't sound very sharp.

Neat stuff! Have you every listened to Hecq? You vibe really reminds of his music.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
That's good! I'm always impressed when people make music like this. I've tried, thinking it'd be fairly easy, but whenever I pop Mixcraft open, I make a few bleeps and badly timed beats (or something like a beat) and realise have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

Check out number 3, it's probably my favourite track I've made, even if i think it needs a few adjustments and isn't to everyone's taste.

Honestly, it's not difficult, you just have to have a programme that sets it out right for you. I tried a mates copy of cubase on atari back in the mid 90's and i just couldn't work out WTF was going on. Then Music came out on the Playstation and after getting to grips with that I realised how simple it was to make music with a sequencer, drum machine and wave editor. If you can do it on a console, you can do it on PC. Bought a £10 programme called DJ2000 which had all 3 built in but also had wavelab and soundforge for extra wave editing, absynth for extra syths. Nabbed rebirth for the live 808/909/303 utility. Fruity Loops is old but has a lot of good shit on it all tied together. You can probably find an old version free somewhere.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Check out number 3, it's probably my favourite track I've made, even if i think it needs a few adjustments and isn't to everyone's taste.
I'd listen to that at the gym, though I can't lift for as long as the song is because I am old.

I've really tried with the music thing (I mean, I've tried a few times, I've never actually tried to learn). I just keep making incredibly mis-timed beats with inappropriate funk dumped on top. After a while I get asked if I'm aware I don't have my headphones plugged in.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Neat stuff! Have you every listened to Hecq? You vibe really reminds of his music.
Not heard of him before, but having a look on discogs there's a few people he's remixed that I'm very familiar with, Outside Agency, Bong Ra etc. I'm an oldschool hardcore/gabba raver, but I certainly like that dark ambient feel. Desolate. Like you're the last living thing in a dead universe.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not heard of him before, but having a look on discogs there's a few people he's remixed that I'm very familiar with, Outside Agency, Bong Ra etc. I'm an oldschool hardcore/gabba raver, but I certainly like that dark ambient feel. Desolate. Like you're the last living thing in a dead universe.
Here's a few of my favorites from Hecq (real name, Ben Lukas Boysen.) "I Am you" in particular is one of my favorite tracks of all time. Not "oldschool hardcore/gabba rave" by any stretch, but really shows Boysen's versatility and his ability to capture a wide range of emotions. If "I Am you" isn't aural desolation, I don't know what is.